PDA

View Full Version : One of those odd things written at then end of the birth cert again.....

peppie
26-04-10, 21:13
Ordered my dads birth cert..... I know I had a photocopy of the one he got himself in 1971, but mum lost it in all the commotion after he died and needed a new copy.. so there is something on the print of the GRO one that wasn't on the handwritten one he got in 1971...

He was born illegitimate so no fathers name or occupation but after the last box where you can put a name registered later ( Column 10) There are written two words by the registrar "Five" and then the reg's initials and "Three" then the reg's initials....

What on earth would that be about?

Column 3 is the sex and 5 is the name of the mother........ so I can't see it's got anything to do with that, it doesn't make sense..... :confused:
Any ideas?

Olde Crone
26-04-10, 21:26
Peppie

Sounds like numbered errors to me, although there is usually only one numbered error, lol, not two and I would expect the numbers to be in sequence, with three first, then possibly five.

A wild guess - mother registered the birth and gave the father's name, then admitted she wasn't married to him, so father's name stricken out and a numbered error mark made in the margin.

OC

peppie
26-04-10, 21:37
Arrrgghhh OC........... I wonder I wish! :d
Father is column 4 though.... :confused:

kiterunner
26-04-10, 22:00
Oh, I've got some with more than one corrected error on the same certificate. The numbers don't refer to the columns, just to how many errors the registrar had made so far altogether. Are there two corrections made on the cert, with the numbers written in numeric form next to them?

peppie
26-04-10, 22:06
Hi Kite,
No corrections on the cert at all......... Just the words rather than numbers written at the end Five ( initials) Three( initials)

Oh hold on you've made me look closely....... He's knocked off an "s" off the address :d:D

Panic over :d

kiterunner
26-04-10, 22:10
They put the 3 or 5 (or whatever) in numeric form next to the actual correction, and the word version at the end with their initials.

peppie
26-04-10, 22:23
Thanks for that Kate I didn't know you learn something new each day! Still haven't found the three reference though.....

What is odd though is that when there is an empty box there is usually a diagonal line through it... on this cert where the fathers bits are missing there is a horizontal one as if it was left open for the fathers name to be put in there at a later date without it looking like it had been changed too much....... :eek:

Margaret in Burton
27-04-10, 07:45
I've seen a horizontal line through the fathers box before, I suppose it's so nothing can be written in it.