PDA

View Full Version : that one ellusive marriage ?

garstonite
26-04-10, 09:42
Advice please...this has been a problem for a few years for me
Daniel Oakes b 1782 Backford,chesh died 1859 Neston,chesh( 4 x g grandfather)
married
Elizabeth Unknown b 1783 died 1870 Neston ...cprdb death only,so worked out birth year(4 x g grandmother)
children
Thomas Oakes b 1817 Neston,Cheshire my 3 x g grandfather
Mary Oakes b 1820 Neston
William Oakes b 1822 Neston

SO...the only name I haven`t got in my direct Oakes family is
ELIZABETHS......
on cprdb 1870 it states aged 88 on burial record for Elizabeth Oakes
on freebmd there is one for 1870 Wirral ..Elizabeth Oakes aged 87
no death on cheshirebmd....
I have a sneaky feeling that Elizabeth may have been from Liverpool and Daniel and Elizabeth married in Liverpool around 1816...nothing on lan-opc
Has anyone got any ideas please ?
allan:confused::confused::confused:
when I have stated Neston at death , that is where they were registered , they lived in Bebington at the time of their deaths...Jut had a thought ..can we find Elizabeth in Neston / Little Neston or Bebington in the 1861 census which might give her Birthplace...thanks....allan

Margaret in Burton
26-04-10, 09:53
Elizabeth Unknown b 1783 died 1870 Neston ...cprdb death only,so worked out birth year(4 x g grandmother)
children

You have her death before she was born Allan :d, also, what does CPRDB mean?

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:03
Probably best to start with the 1851 census because Daniel is still alive on that one, so we are sure to get the right Elizabeth.

Daniel Oakes Head Mar 69 Agricultural Labourer Cheshire Backford
Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 68 Lancashire Lancaster

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:06
Then in 1861 her birthplace is Lancaster.

Brook Street, Neston
Elizabeth Oakes Head W 78 Lancaster
William Oakes Son Un 38 Ag Lab & Gardener Cheshire Neston

garstonite
26-04-10, 10:10
children

You have her death before she was born Allan :d, also, what does CPRDB mean?

No Margaret...she was born 1782/3 and died 1870 aged 87/88
CPRDb is Cheshire Parish Records Database
allan:)

Margaret in Burton
26-04-10, 10:15
Ignore me, don't think I'm awake yet

garstonite
26-04-10, 10:15
thanks Kiterunner...that`s great...I`ll try and do a search for Elizabeth b Lancaster 1782/83....would you consider buying the 1870 Wirral death on freebmd ? stating aged 87
.....cprdb definitely has Elizabeth burial 25th July 1870 and aged 88
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ......POLT
do you know what POLT stands for ????.....allan:)

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:16
The only Liverpool marriage I can see on FamilySearch is in 1811 - Daniel Oakes married Elizabeth Harrison 16 Apr 1811 St Annes, Liverpool, Lancashire. No other Lancashire marriages on there before 1817. There are a couple of Betty Harrisons baptised in Lancaster around the right time, but we would need more evidence to tie it all together. For instance, if you can get a look at that Liverpool marriage entry, it will give their parishes of residence and you can see if it says Daniel was from Neston.

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:23
I can't find anything in the CPRDB information to say what it means if it says POLT in the "Additional Information" field. The only mention of POLT I could find is an abbreviation for Poulton, but I don't know if that's what it means in this entry. I was hoping to find it on FamilySearch RecordSearch to see if there was a full transcription, but it looks like they haven't done it yet.

garstonite
26-04-10, 10:31
Thanks Kiterunner....you`ve nudged my memory...it will be for
Poulton Cum Spittle ....the earlier name for Bebington...that`s one problem solved lol....I can go to Liverpool records office tomorrow...will I have to make an appointment do you think ?...allan;) you`re a gem..;)

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:31
As for buying the death certificate, I'm not sure whether you are asking if the Wirral one that you have found is the right one, or whether it would be worth getting her death cert? The Wirral registration certainly looks right because it says she lived in Bebington on the burial record, but as for whether you should order it, it depends what you are hoping to find out from it?

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:32
Sorry, posting at the same time - I've never been to Liverpool record office so I don't know whether you have to book.

garstonite
26-04-10, 10:45
wouldn`t the death cert have Elizabeths maiden name on it ?....allan:confused:

kiterunner
26-04-10, 10:46
No, I'm afraid not.