PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

Terri
25-04-10, 12:35
(Having AT LAST got my grubby mitts on London Parish Records) and JOY OF JOYS finding the baptism of the most annoying, elusive person in my tree .................

What does "abode" (in between parents' names and profession) actually mean? In this case "abode" is a few hundred miles from the place of the baptism.

Something else that's strange, where there is the same vicar's name on every other baptism on these pages, my one has "something-Church" written instead. Can't read the first bit.

Merry
25-04-10, 13:02
Can we see it?

Terri
25-04-10, 13:13
Here it is, bigger!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/terrilast/BenjaminJamesbap-Copy.jpg

Terri
25-04-10, 13:15
You first helped me with this guy back on GR Merry!
The annoying Benjamin James - on one census born in Hampton,Middx and on the next, born in Churchill, Oxfordshire.

Now we know the source of his confusion .... he was baptised in Hampton, Middx, but abode was Churchill, Oxfordshire ............. whatever that means!

Gert in Oz
25-04-10, 13:19
Looks like Wm as in William Church to me Terri, i could be wrong though.

Terri
25-04-10, 13:32
Why would they have had a different vicar to everyone else? The usual vicar was there - there was another baptism on the same day!

Gert in Oz
25-04-10, 13:39
I have no idea, unless he was from another parish and was requested by the parents, maybe a family freind ?

kiterunner
25-04-10, 14:54
I've deleted your post where you posted up the full image, Terri, because I'm not sure if ancestry would mind having a whole page posted up, plus your other post is easier to see anyway. Abode is just another word for residence or address, so they lived in Churchill, Oxfordshire but had their child baptised at Hampton. Maybe William Church was a family friend as Gert says.

Terri
25-04-10, 15:22
I guess so, but I still cannot understand why they had their son baptised in Middlesex if they lived in Oxfordshire. It's not as if it was the possible "friend" vicar's own church.

They have a 2nd son baptised in a different church in Middlesex, but using the usual, local vicar and stating abode as Middlesex.

Margaret in Burton
25-04-10, 16:10
Did they have family in the area?

Two of my grandmothers siblings were baptised in the parish of their father. This was in Suffolk and they lived in Staffordshire.

Breckland Jane
25-04-10, 16:16
I was just going to suggest the same thing Marg. Were either the mother or father originally from that parish? I have quite often found a couple having their children (especially the first child) baptised in the mother's original parish. In fact, even my sister & her husband had their three children baptised in her home parish in Suffolk when they were living in Berkshire and Aberdeen.

Jane

Terri
25-04-10, 17:37
Sadly I haven't a clue where the parents are from; it's taken me 6 years to pin down the son, so I'm not holding my breath on tracking them down in a hurry!

Merry
25-04-10, 18:15
Did you see Benjamin most likely had a sibling called James James (:rolleyes:)

Terri
25-04-10, 18:17
Yes, found him, no others unfortunately. I've been trying (hoping!) to find the parents (or James) in 1841 or 51, but it's almost impossible with such common names.

Jill
25-04-10, 18:19
Just taken a look at the register & Wm Church does all the baptisms over the page, (not that it helps with your family)

Merry
25-04-10, 18:39
These look very possible for their parents:

1851 census:

Samuel James head m 70 tinman b Peasmere (Peasemore?) Berkshire
Elizabeth James wife m 62 charwoman b City of London

then there's a load of visitors (who, of course, could be relatives!) who I can't face typing!

They are living at Back Lion Road, Twickenham (My g-grandmother lived in Lion Road (at the front? pmsl!!) in the 1880s!

Merry
25-04-10, 18:41
SAMUEL JAMES Pedigree
Male
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 1782 Peasemore, Berkshire, England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: ROBERT JAMES
Mother: ELEANOR

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record.

Terri
25-04-10, 19:18
Oooh thank you so much Merry, that does look promising.

I saw several Samuel/Elizabeth tinman combinations in Cornwall (obviously!!) and gave up the chase at that point.

Might have them in 41 in Kingston - just down the road from Twickenham, and about 3 miles from where their son Benjamin is in 41.
Trouble is it says they are both born in county .......... but they are in someone else's house, so possibly weren't responsible for the finer census details.

Merry
25-04-10, 19:23
lol!

I can't find them in 1841. At what point can you find Benjamin?

Terri
25-04-10, 19:33
We posted together ....!
Benjamin is an apprentice chimney sweep in Ewell in 1841.

There's a 60 year old Samuel and 50 year old Elizabeth in Kingston in 41, but gives no occupation for Samuel. Can't find anything else close