PDA

View Full Version : Quick, quick,, somebody work this out please..

Jennifer Eccles
05-09-09, 17:02
sorry heads in a fuddle, but i have just found out we have close relatives in Australia, ( well hubby does).. and my brain wont work the relationship out as i am so excited..

her Auntie is my hubby's grandma, paternal side.. ( deceased, grandma that is)

i know its simple but me brain has gone to mush...lol

Jennifer Eccles
05-09-09, 17:05
sorry should explain a bit more.. Emma , Husbands gran, had siblings, we have traced them all etc except for one brother.. he aparrantly ostricised himself from the family, nobody knows why (as, it wasnt talked about and all that generation is dead).. could this be the missing link?

Macbev
05-09-09, 17:05
She is a cousin of your OH's parent (I think)
Congrats Jen. When are you coming to visit :)

Jennifer Eccles
05-09-09, 17:07
Hi Bev,
yes now i think straight she will be husbands dads first cousin.. so what is she to hubby?
sadly Hubby's dad is dead too...

Macbev
05-09-09, 17:11
ummmmm...either first cousin once removed, or second cousin....I never know the difference :o

Jennifer Eccles
05-09-09, 17:12
its pretty close though isnt it :)

*excited smile*

samesizedfeet
05-09-09, 17:12
It's dependent on whether she's an auntie by marriage or not.

If not = grandma/auntie is the same person
their sibling is the parent of your contact so is your father in law's cousin and hubbies first cousin once removed

if it's by marriage, i.e. her parent's brother married your hubbies grandma and she's just an auntie by marriage, there's technically no blood relationship

Jennifer Eccles
05-09-09, 17:20
Thanks, yes its by birth, :) it seems she is hubby's Great uncle's daughter ( Emma's brother)
so first cousin once removed..

cheers! :)

HarrysMum
06-09-09, 03:59
Want us to look for anything??????????????

And.....to repeat Bev's question..............when are you coming to visit??????

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 05:16
Hi Libby,
I am now eagerly waiting for a reply from the new found cousin, and will let you know more then, i dont even know what part of Australia they are in yet, but it will definately be a case of when not if, now regards coming over there as this is a major part of hubby's family that was the missing link.

HarrysMum
06-09-09, 05:31
Bewdy...................can feel another meet coming on...lol

Macbev
06-09-09, 11:24
Depends which side she visiting, Libby :(

Not taking that dratted C-C east again if I can help it :p

borobabs
06-09-09, 11:28
Ohh Jen any excuse to get over there lol ;;;the answer to your dream this isnt it ;;;happy hunting mate

Macbev
06-09-09, 11:32
If they turn out to be Sandgropers, Jen, I'm happy to organise an extended house swap :p

Stella
06-09-09, 13:03
Jen, I too have discovered LOADS of family over there - Grandmother's sister went over there to live and I have found all the descendants and am in touch with them. Two came over here to visit us and I am toying with the idea of going over there!

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 13:26
ooh Stella how exciting!
ive been secretly hoping since i started geneology 6 years ago that i would uncover some Australian branches, never in my dreams did i think they would be this closely linked. :)

I forgot to say, the contact was made through Ancestry, so am chuffed because i nearly didnt renew my subs this year as i had come to so many dead ends and brick walls i was wondering whether the price of renewing was worth it..

Stella
06-09-09, 13:37
Jen, I discovered mine when looking at my late Mum's old address book, then someone on GR helped me track down the descendant I was hunting. He was 84 yrs old and thrilled to hear from me. A meet in Oz looming me thinks!:d

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 13:39
lol, we were saving up to go to the states, but methinks we shall be changing destination now :)

Stella
06-09-09, 13:48
I found the biggest skeleton in my family tree through my rellies in Oz too Jen. You can get reasonably priced flights to Oz now too.

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 13:52
well to be honest, this is already the skeleton in the closet, as this is the great uncle who vanished and nobody knew why..

Stella
06-09-09, 13:58
OMG Jen - do you know why now though?

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 14:02
no not yet... ive asked cousin to fill me in a bit on her family, but skirting the real issue as yet.. all we know is he cut himself off from all the family and did a vanishing act,( ians gran died in 2007 and was suffering from dementia for quite a while before that so couldnt ask her about her brother, and ians dad died 14 years ago).... next thing an email from his daughter 40 years later!

Stella
06-09-09, 14:05
Wow Jen, good luck. Best not to ask too many questions eh in the early stages? Hope you get to the bottom of his disappearing act soon though.

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 14:06
cheers Stella, yep i will have to tread very carefully.. but am sooooo curious..lol

Mary from Italy
06-09-09, 16:15
My main skeleton is also in Oz (great-gran had 6 legitimate and 7 illegitimate children, and married bigamously twice, as did her husband).

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 16:29
cor Mary, thats some skeleton!

Mary from Italy
06-09-09, 17:00
I suspect my gran (her daughter) also had a couple of skeletons, but I haven't been able to prove it.

The upside is that I have dozens of half-second cousins that I knew nothing about, and I'm now in touch with most of them.

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 17:13
Thats lovely Mary, but what a find, i am still amazed at the amount of illegitimate children she had.

Stella
06-09-09, 17:29
My maternal gran's sister had a baby by her own sister's husband just 6 months after he married her sister. The resulting baby ended up marrying an Australian soldier and went to Australia.

Jennifer Eccles
06-09-09, 17:54
we could write a book, with all these interesting stories!

Mary from Italy
06-09-09, 18:26
Thats lovely Mary, but what a find, i am still amazed at the amount of illegitimate children she had.

One illegitimate before she married, 6 legitimate while she was married to husband no. 1 (assuming he was the father of all of them, which I can't be sure of for various reasons), and 6 illegitimate by husband no.2. She married him (literally) on his deathbed while no. 1 was still alive.