PDA

View Full Version : My Webb mystery!

beaglelady
24-04-10, 12:57
Hi folks,

I hope I'm posting in the correct place as I am new here today.

Garstonite recommended this forum to me in the hope I might be able to conquer my Webb brickwall (I've tried various forums and so far no luck, I think the Webb's want to remain a mystery!).

Ok, I have John Webb b.1848 in Great Bolton, Lancs - married
Elizabeth Lawrenson b.1859 in Preston they married 1879 Fylde Register Office,
3 children - Margaret b.1880, Eliz E b.1887 and John T L Webb b.1890.

I never found a birth registration for John b.1848 so not sure if that is correct (im just going by details on census).
I only have them in one census with their in-laws Thomas Lawrenson (Eliz's father) ref no RG11 pice 4232 fol 73 p.38. John and Elizabeth's marriage cert was incorrect- her name was Eliz Robinson but everything else matches - father's name Thomas Lawrenson bricklayer - resided Poulton.
John Webb was railway porter at Poulton - his father John Webb (deceased) profession - 66th regiment.

What I'm trying to find is John's father John Webb senior - 66th regiment (obviously died before 1879 when son married). I enquired with an Army Museum and they searched but because he must have died in service they have no records for him. How can I find details of John Webb's b.1848 - his parents?? Or even find the correct birth registration for John b.1848??

I'm really beginning to despair with this Webb mystery. Any help would be most appreciated.

Muggins in Sussex
24-04-10, 13:18
Hello Beagle Lady

I don't think I can help with your query, but hopefully someone can :)

I too have Webbs from Lancashire in my tree and they seem like one whole mystery to me!

Joan

beaglelady
24-04-10, 13:20
Hi Joan,

Thanks for the reply. Are your Webb's from Preston or Great Bolton? Might we have a match somewhere??

Elaine.

Muggins in Sussex
24-04-10, 13:23
Hi Elaine

I wondered that, too - mine are mostly from Manchester...I'll check

Muggins in Sussex
24-04-10, 13:27
Hmmmm.. definitely Manchester - also Knutsford and Altrincham which I think are Cheshire - that's a pity!

beaglelady
24-04-10, 13:33
Oh well never mind.

I hope someone might be able to help me because I'm on the verge of giving up:rolleyes:

Garstonite said there were some good/knowledgeable members on here - here's hoping:)

Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
24-04-10, 13:39
Margaret Webb the daughter is with her grandparents in 1891,

RG12; Piece: 3434; Folio 69; Page 32

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=LANRG12_3432_3434-0583&fn=Margaret&ln=Webb&st=d&ssrc=&pid=540890

beaglelady
24-04-10, 13:49
Hi Margaret,

Yes I've seen that census, it's because her Dad - John Webb died in 1890 and Margaret stayed with her Grandparents. Elizabeth - the mother went on to marry again and had 2 more children to William Muncaster.

I'm not sure if John Webb b.1848 - d.1890, had a middle name - Thomas. I've only seen it the once and that's on his death cert - Elizabeth would have given his name I pressume.

Thanks,
Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
24-04-10, 14:11
Hi Margaret,

Yes I've seen that census, it's because her Dad - John Webb died in 1890 and Margaret stayed with her Grandparents. Elizabeth - the mother went on to marry again and had 2 more children to William Muncaster.

I'm not sure if John Webb b.1848 - d.1890, had a middle name - Thomas. I've only seen it the once and that's on his death cert - Elizabeth would have given his name I pressume.

Thanks,
Elaine.

Oooooh I wish you'd said that before, I've been looking for them on later census. :d:d:d

beaglelady
24-04-10, 14:13
Opps sorry I knew I'd forget some little bit of information:o Not that it was important or anything!!!!:eek:

I've got my orders to go and help in the garden painting fencing so will be back later.

Thanks for your help and sorry!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
24-04-10, 14:14
Do John Webb's ages on his marriage cert, death cert and the 1881 census match up?

I'm wondering if his age is consistant with 1848.

Margaret in Burton
24-04-10, 14:18
There is a John Thomas Webb born in Chorlton district in the March qtr of 1847. Vol 20 page 318

Lancs BMD gives that birth as the sub-district of Hulme

beaglelady
24-04-10, 15:01
Hi Margaret

Just popped in for a drink and a peep to see if you found anything.

I'm covered in fence paint!!!;(

Yes John's ages to seem to match up on the census and his death. He was around 33yrs on the census and then in 1890 he died aged approx 42yrs.

I've seen that John Thomas Webb in Chorlton and I wondered about it, but how do I prove it's MY John??

From what I can remember there is a Thomas Webb, in Ireland, and his son John Webb b.1849 in Royal Barracks, Dublin, Ireland, they come over to stay in Bolton and had a child in Lancashire. Again this was a possibility but I can't prove anything. I was just thinking of John Webb 66th Regiment who was in the army??? I think I'm clutching at straws somewhat!:confused:

Right, back to the fence. Back soon.

If anyone conquers this Webb mystery I will eat my hat!!!!!!:d:d

Elaine.

Just checked John's marriage cert - states he was 29yrs then in 1879 so if he was born 1848 we are approx 2 yrs out!!

kiterunner
24-04-10, 16:57
Great Bolton wouldn't be in the Chorlton registration district, would it? I'll see if I can find him on any pre-1881 census.

Oh, and do you have the names of the witnesses from John and Elizabeth's marriage certificate, please? Maybe one of them was related to John?

beaglelady
24-04-10, 17:25
Hi Kiterunner,

Thanks for moving my post I wasn't sure where to put it, I thought you might have had a 'beginners' section.

Anyway, I'm really not sure if Grt Bolton was in the Chorlton registration district???

As for the witnesses to John's marriage their names are -

N D Worthington

Alice Brown

I'm about 99% sure that the marr/cert I have is correct but there's always that chance it could be coincidental and there are 2 John Webb's and Thomas Lawrensons!! I'm not 100% sure because of the wrong name given to Elizabeth - Robinson instead of Lawrenson, but it does sound similar. Her father's name was correct - Thomas Lawrenson. Too much of a coincidence isn't it. Plus John at the time of marriage was a railway porter in Poulton. He lived in the Railway Cottages in Salwick with his family, and was a signalman just before he died in 1890.

Hope somebody on here can help. I'm running out of hope of ever conquering this. Garstonite said to me - if anyone can help it would be all the Mods and Margaret on here:)

Please help before I put it to bed completely:(

Thanks,
Elaine.

kiterunner
24-04-10, 17:31
Great Bolton would be in the Bolton registration district, though of course birth registration wasn't compulsory in 1848 so it could be that he wasn't registered. I haven't found him on the earlier censuses yet but still looking. It's possible that he had a different name and that's why we haven't found him, for instance, if his middle name was Thomas maybe he was known as Thomas.

kiterunner
24-04-10, 17:44
Not sure whether you have Elizabeth's family on the censuses before 1881? This is them in 1871:
Doles Lane, Bretherton
Thomas Lawrence Head Mar 40 Ag Lab Lancashire Bretherton
Margaret Do Wife Mar 41 Do Do
Ellen Do Daur 14 Do Do
Elizabeth Do Daur 12 Do Do
Margaret Do Daur 9 Scholar Do Do
RG10/4200 folio 107 page 6

beaglelady
24-04-10, 17:47
Ok thanks Kiterunner, I'm just looking at Elizabeth's father Thomas Lawrenson and I can't seem to find him in the 1871 census. I checked the 1861 census and his occupation was engine driver for Brick and Tile Making Factory - on their marr cert it states he was a bricklayer. By 1881 he's back in Preston with John and Eliz Webb so surely he must have been in Poulton (as stated on marr/cert) in 1871?? Why doesn't he appear though??

I'll keep looking for him,
Thanks for your help,
Elaine.

beaglelady
24-04-10, 17:49
Arrrrhhhh

You've just answered my question:d:d

Right in 1871 his name was Lawrence - not Lawrenson, that's why I couldn't find him. Ag Lab - not bricklayer as on this marr cert I have. Now I'm really wondering if this is the correct marriage cert????;( But John was working on the railways that's why I thought it was correct - Poulton area made me wonder though??

Oooohhhh back to the drawing board?? Now what next????

Help:confused:

Elaine.

kiterunner
24-04-10, 17:52
I'm sure it must be the right marriage cert. Does Elizabeth's age look right on it?

beaglelady
24-04-10, 17:55
It says she was 21yrs when they married in 1879. I have her born 1859. So more or less correct.

Elaine.

kiterunner
24-04-10, 19:17
Possible candidate to be the witness N D Worthington is Nicholas Dixon Worthington, though I'm not sure how many men there were by that name in 1879 - there is one born 1838 and marriages in 1860 and 1874, but of course it could well be the same man marrying twice.

Update - I'm sure he is the witness, but almost certainly not related to either the bride or groom, since his occupation in 1881 is "Grocer and Registrar of Births and Deaths"!

beaglelady
24-04-10, 21:17
Thanks for that Kiterunner. This N D Worthington must have a hearing problem if he misheard Elizabeth's surname for Robinson instead of Lawrenson:d:d

Well, do I put this to bed or do you think I stand a chance of finding something else?? Not that I'm getting inpatient I've been at over 2 years and still no wiser;(

Aww well I'm off to bed to dream of finding my Webb's:D

Thanks for your help,
Elaine.

kiterunner
24-04-10, 21:58
Never give up, Elaine! I've had brick walls that have tumbled after years of thinking I would never get past them. Much more than 2 years.

We still have the other witness, Alice Brown, to try and find, although that's not going to be as easy as N D Worthington! (By the way, he was only a witness at the marriage so the "Robinson" thing isn't his fault).

Merry
25-04-10, 08:14

Thanks,
Elaine.

Welcome to this forum, Elaine :)

Erm, which is his death reg then? I can't see one in 1890 with a middle name. I had been assuming this was it:

Deaths Sep 1890
Webb John 42 Fylde 8e 423

beaglelady
25-04-10, 08:58
Hi Merry,

Garstonite told me about all you wonderful people on here:d

Yes that is the death reg but I have the certificate here and it states Thomas as his middle name. If Elizabeth had given this perhaps she was wrong I don't know. There's many things I don't know about the Webb's, I've done loads on other lines and even found the REAL father of my illegitimate Grt G/father but these Webbs are really testing me:(

Thanks

Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 09:53
I've been spending time trying to trace forward the family with John Thomas Webb b Hulme 1847 (tring to eliminate them really). In 1871 the dad says he is John Cross Webb and there's a bab for him 1919 in Warwick on Family Search. His wife may be a widow in 1881 but there's no obvious death for a John Webb (didn't have time to search hard though) between 1871 and 1881 whilst there's a death for John Cross Webb in 1900 in London! No army record to match up on TNA, but he may have left too late for The Catalogue to find him? I wondered if he had abandoned his family or this is a complete red-herring? Haven't had time to try and eliminate John T Weebb by finding him in 1881 as a different person to yours etc etc I can't look any more now as no time, so wondered if someone else could carry on?? :D

Ugh, the above doesn't make proper sense, but I have to dash.......Bye!

beaglelady
25-04-10, 09:54
Hi again,

I've just made another discovery. I was checking through the birth certificate for John's only son - John T L Webb and again Elizabeth has stated the father's name was John Thomas Webb (although he was deceased when son was born). Yet on Margaret's birth certificate (eldest daughter) it just states John Webb as father?? It also says John Webb was the informant of Margaret's birth. So is he just not giving his middle name or perhaps Elizabeth is wrong?? Another problem to solve:rolleyes:

Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 10:59
Update - I'm sure he is the witness, but almost certainly not related to either the bride or groom, since his occupation in 1881 is "Grocer and Registrar of Births and Deaths"!

Are we sure he is signing as a witness on the cert and not in his capacity as registrar?

Another avenue would be if we can't exclude the JTW b Hulme, maybe we should find out what happened to his sister and if she married, what she put down for her father? (a long shot!!! lol)

Margaret in Burton
25-04-10, 11:26
I've got a bit lost here now. LOL :d:d

What are we looking for at the moment, can someone tell me? :o:o

beaglelady
25-04-10, 11:36
Hi folks,

I might manage to do some research this afternoon, I've just got back in, I've had a busy morning!

Right, the N D Worthington is definitely the witness and NOT the registrar. I've double checked the marr cert and it states in the presence of N D Worthington and Alice Brown, Registrar - W Davies, Superintendant Reg - Will Thompson. So one problem solved.

I've not had time to check out this John Cross Webb at Hulme, I have in the past seen him and not done anything about it because I didn't think he was MY John Webb relative, but I will take another look.

Thanks everyone for spending your time and trying to help, I DO appreciate it:)

Elaine.

beaglelady
25-04-10, 11:51
Another avenue would be if we can't exclude the JTW b Hulme, maybe we should find out what happened to his sister and if she married, what she put down for her father? (a long shot!!! lol)[/QUOTE]

Merry I don't understand what you mean - surely his sister would put down John Cross Webb as her father?? I'm lost now??:confused:

Elaine.

beaglelady
25-04-10, 12:11
Hi me again!

Can somebody take a look at what I've just found please??

John Thomas Webb married Anne Wilkins 1873 jul qtr - Manchster (this may be John T Webb with father John Cross Webb)

Then in 1878 Ann dies aged 27yrs (her approx birth 1851) Salford, Manchester.

If this is MY John T Webb - by the 1881 census he would be married and living with Elizabeth at her parents house in Preston - which he is.

But........how do I prove it's my J T Webb. Plus on his marr cert to Eliz it states he was a batchelor and not widower!!!

Help please;(

Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 13:07
Merry I don't understand what you mean - surely his sister would put down John Cross Webb as her father?? I'm lost now??:confused:

Elaine.

I meant did she say for his occ- Japanner or 66th regiment! lol I know this family shouldn't be the right ones if John senr didn't die, but you never know.

I thought I'd seen his wife (Mary b Shropshire) in 1881 as a widow, but JCW was showing up in the London Gazette in 1879 to do with being made bankrupt, so that doesn't leave a very big window if he did die. Then who is the John Cross Webb who died in Holburn just before 1901? Not so far off in age from the Warwickshire one........curiouser and curiouser......

beaglelady
25-04-10, 13:29
Oooooohhh I think I've lost the will to live - these Webb's are a nightmare;(

Merry
25-04-10, 13:39
They seem pretty normal to me - it's unusual when things run smoothly imho!

Marg - are you lost? :d That's probably my fault :o It's just there's this family with a John Thomas Webb b 1847 in Hulme. John Thomas seems to vanish around the same time as John Webb turns up to get married. His father was John Cross Webb. However, this may be a red herring - In Elaine's last but one post she mentions that John Thomas Webb seems to have married and then his wife died, so no reason to lie and say you were a bachelor when you were a widower, suggesting they are not the same person.......Can anyone find widower John Thomas Webb in 1881 which would put the final nail in his coffin, so to speak?

I'm thinking the most usual reason for people being hidden until they get married is that their mother has remarried and they are living with a step-dad's surname until they leave home.......not always easy to prove!

borobabs
25-04-10, 13:47
I keep watching this thread as I have contact who has Webb names but I keep checking and so far I have nothing to tie the families up sorry ;; but will keep a watch

beaglelady
25-04-10, 13:55
Hi Borobabs,

I love your name!! You are in Middlesbrough - I was born there!! All my lot are from over the North East unlike the Webb's (hubby's lot) and he's another John Webb - flipping awkward!!!!:d:d

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

Elaine.

borobabs
25-04-10, 14:00
Your Welcome Elaine ,,,, do I know you from elsewhere lol

Merry
25-04-10, 14:03
If John Thomas Webb is NOT the one who married Elizabeth Lawrenson, you might expect him to have his own death registration.....

If I look for possibles I find:

Deaths Mar 1878
Webb John Thomas 29 Potterspury 3b 19

which is Northamptonshire, which seems unlikely, or these:

Deaths Sep 1883
Webb John Tilley 35 Dudley 6c 67

wrong middle name, or

Deaths Mar 1919
Webb John T 71 Woodstock 3a 1649

Deaths Mar 1920
WEBB John T 71 Hackney 1b 488

Deaths Jun 1925
Webb John T 78 Tiverton 5b 465

none of which seem the right places!

borobabs
25-04-10, 14:06
Hi me again!

Can somebody take a look at what I've just found please??

John Thomas Webb married Anne Wilkins 1873 jul qtr - Manchster (this may be John T Webb with father John Cross Webb)

Then in 1878 Ann dies aged 27yrs (her approx birth 1851) Salford, Manchester.

If this is MY John T Webb - by the 1881 census he would be married and living with Elizabeth at her parents house in Preston - which he is.

But........how do I prove it's my J T Webb. Plus on his marr cert to Eliz it states he was a batchelor and not widower!!!

Help please;(

Elaine.

If there was no children to the marriage when she died he might have easily thought of himself as a batchelor again ';;;;well I think he could anyway ;;

beaglelady
25-04-10, 14:11
Hi Merry,

No I'm pretty sure this is the correct death cert for John Webb. Everything fits, it's just causing confusion with his middle name appearing on children's birth certs or not as the case may be!! I think Elizabeth may have got it wrong or if it is correct and he does have a middle name he never used it or stated it on official documents - not even his marr cert.

Borobabs - you probably know me from lurking on every genealogy forum I can find to try and conquer my Webb problem!!!!:d:d I didn't stay over the North East very long - moved when I was a baby:(

I found a couple of John Webb's in the 1891 census b. Manchester and with a different wife but can't be sure it was John Thomas Webb born in Hulme?? Again Thomas not mentioned on the more recent censuses.

Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 14:32
No I'm pretty sure this is the correct death cert for John Webb.

Yes, I know that - I was meaning that if JT Webb b Hulme is the same person then there wouldn't be a death for him separately, but if he was a different person then there should be a separate death. Is there a separate death? Well, not an obvious one.

kiterunner
25-04-10, 14:45
Of course John Thomas Webb born Hulme may have had his death registered without his middle name, just to cause confusion!

I still think it is unlikely that John Webb would say he was born in Great Bolton if he was really born in Hulme, to be honest.

Merry
25-04-10, 15:59
I still think it is unlikely that John Webb would say he was born in Great Bolton if he was really born in Hulme, to be honest.

I agree - when I started looking at the Hulme one it was purely to eliminate him to make Elaine's research easier, but it didn't work!

I think it's far more likely John was b in Gt Bolton but had a different surname through his childhood.

beaglelady
25-04-10, 16:11
I agree - when I started looking at the Hulme one it was purely to eliminate him to make Elaine's research easier, but it didn't work!

I think it's far more likely John was b in Gt Bolton but had a different surname through his childhood.

Ok, so where do I go from here then?? John's dad in the 66th regiment had the same surname - Webb, do you mean this could be his step-dad??

What do I do now????:confused:

Thanks,
Elaine.

kiterunner
25-04-10, 16:16
There are a few possibilities:

John Webb's parents weren't married, so his birth was registered under his mother's surname but he was later known by his father's surname Webb
John Webb sr was his stepfather, as you suggest
John Webb's mother's surname was Webb but his father had a different surname which is not given on the marriage certificate

There are probably some more that I haven't thought of!

Margaret in Burton
25-04-10, 16:16
When did John senior die, do we know this? (the one in the 66th)

I think Merry means that John's father was dead and his mother remarried and he was know by his stepfathers name until he married and left home.

edit

Or I'm still lost and haven't a clue what you are talking about. LOL.

Sorry haven't been much help, been off doing some research of my own today.

beaglelady
25-04-10, 16:25
Oh dear it doesn't get any easier does it??:confused:

Margaret - John in 66th Regiment died before 1879 when his son married. That's all I know!

Just where do I turn now?? How on earth am I going to find out the answer - is it possible to find the answer?? Oh heck;(

Thanks,
Elaine.

P.S. I forgot to mention, someone told me I could trace John in the 66th Regiment at Kew, I'd have to search in the Muster Records?? Trouble is I can't get to Kew as I'm a carer for my elderly mother!

Margaret in Burton
25-04-10, 16:44
Oh dear it doesn't get any easier does it??:confused:

Margaret - John in 66th Regiment died before 1879 when his son married. That's all I know!

Just where do I turn now?? How on earth am I going to find out the answer - is it possible to find the answer?? Oh heck;(

Thanks,
Elaine.

P.S. I forgot to mention, someone told me I could trace John in the 66th Regiment at Kew, I'd have to search in the Muster Records?? Trouble is I can't get to Kew as I'm a carer for my elderly mother!

Keep an eye on the Events board on this site. Many members visit Kew on a regular basis and meet up with each other. If you ask nicely one of them may look it up for you.

kiterunner
25-04-10, 16:44
You could hire a researcher to look for the records at Kew, Elaine. Also I don't know whether you've already tried looking at parish registers for Great Bolton to see if there is a baptism for John jr? Though again, if you can't get to the record office that could be difficult.

beaglelady
25-04-10, 17:00
Hi,

No I've not searched the parish records for a baptism for John. Would I have to order them in at my local Family History Centre and view them there??

Wonder how much it costs to hire someone to search the Muster Records at Kew?? No idea what they are??:confused: I assume they are a record of people killed in service for the various regiments??

I'm sure someone on here will tell me:)

Thanks,
Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 17:07
I think Merry means that John's father was dead and his mother remarried and he was know by his stepfathers name until he married and left home.

edit

Or I'm still lost and haven't a clue what you are talking about. LOL.

Sorry haven't been much help, been off doing some research of my own today.

That's what I was thinking of, but Kate's ideas are definitely a few more possibilities!

kiterunner
25-04-10, 17:15
I don't know much about Muster records but they would be a list of people who were available to serve or were recruited to serve in the forces, not just people who died in service. I can PM you the contact details for a researcher whose rates are reasonable if you like?

kiterunner
25-04-10, 17:16
Oh, and baptisms - you could order them to your local Family History Centre, yes, but there are quite a few possible churches for Great Bolton so it might take a while to get through them all!

beaglelady
25-04-10, 17:26
Oh thanks Kiterunner,

Yes PM the details of a researcher, I hope you can recommend them. An administrator on a different forum recommended a person to me and I employed him but he was pretty useless!:mad: I complained to the Administrator and she got one of the Mods to help me and he gave me more info (for free) than what the actual researcher found!!!! Anyway, that's another story!

Right, as for the baptisms I can always view them when my mother is at day centre. I could spend a few hours a week on them hopefully. Is is Great Bolton area I need - years 1840-50???? I'll ring my Family History Ctr tomorrow. I have to start somewhere don't I??:)

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Elaine.

Merry
25-04-10, 17:42
You may be gone a while then?!!!

http://genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Bolton/

beaglelady
25-04-10, 18:02
Oooh good grief Merry I see what you mean!!!:o I'll never get through that lot!

Everything just seems to be against me doesn't it? Well I can but try I suppose, unless anyone else has any other bright ideas?

What about if I contact Bolton Archives and Library? Do you think they would search/help??

Oh I don't know anymore.:confused:

Elaine.

At a guess I think John would have been C/E so that narrows it down a bit!!!!!

kiterunner
25-04-10, 18:06
I'll PM you the researcher's details when I'm back on my main computer, Elaine.

beaglelady
26-04-10, 07:46
Hi Kiterunner,

Thanks for your PM. I will email the guy today.

I think I may ring Bolton Archives/Library and see if they can help me in some way. I've nothing to lose have I?:)

Thanks again,
Elaine.

beaglelady
17-05-10, 14:20
Hi folks,

Latest news from my researcher who visited Kew for me -

John Webb in the 66th Regiment served in Gibraltar, West Indies and Canada. According to his military papers he joined up in 1842 then aged 20yrs old, so I'm probably looking for a birth around 1822ish, it also stated he was from Bristol. Well I've done quite a few searches and still no further on, there are loads of John Webb's from Bristol!!!

As for John seniors son - John T Webb, he could have been born abroad possibly Gibraltar approx 1848 as his dad was serving over there at the time. Researcher thinks John senior married before he joined the 66th regiment. Hopefully, researcher going to check FMP for the military bmd's.

Thanks to Kite for recommending Kevin for me. He's posting me all the military documents for John Webb 66th Regiment.

I'm hoping we can find the son's birth so I could order his birth certificate and find out the mother's name too. Fingers crossed.:)

Elaine.

P.S. Forgot to mention John senior left 66th regiment in 1856 so I'm still trying to locate him in the 1861 census but without much luck. Don't know his wife's name but John junior b.1848 might have been with him.

Merry
17-05-10, 14:27
What does the T stand for in John T Webb? Do you know what happened to him?

Merry
17-05-10, 14:29
Oops, just realised this isn't a new thread. If the answer is in the 60 other posts, can you point me to the right bit! lol Sorry :)

beaglelady
17-05-10, 14:31
Hi Merry,

It stands for Thomas but I'm a little unsure if it's correct as I've only seen it stated on one of his children's birth certificates and nowhere else, plus his wife must have given it when registering the child's birth as John T Webb had died before his 3rd child was born.

I only have John Thomas Webb in one census and that's the 1881 and it states he was b.1848 Great Bolton, Lancs (think this could be incorrect now and may have been born abroad in Military), he died in 1890 in Salwick, Lancashire aged approx 42yrs.

Census details are - rg11 pce 4232 fol 73 p38 he's living with his in-laws Thomas and Margaret Lawrenson.

Elaine.

Opps just seen your last thread, but given you details again anyway!!

Merry
17-05-10, 14:36
Ok thanks! So you don't have him on the 1861 or 1871?

Merry
17-05-10, 14:38
Ugh - it's all coming back to me now! pmsl!

beaglelady
17-05-10, 14:38
Ok thanks! So you don't have him on the 1861 or 1871?

No Merry, I don't but there are sooooo many John Webb's. All I can go on is his father was born about 1822 and from Bristol. John T Webb b.1848ish and says on census born Great Bolton?? No idea of wife/mother's name either. So still struggling, I'm hoping Kevin (researcher) might find a birth or marriage.

Thanks,
Elaine.

P.S. I do know John Webb senior in 66th regiment had died before 1879 when his son got married (it states he was deceased on son's marriage cert).

beaglelady
17-05-10, 14:41
Ugh - it's all coming back to me now! pmsl!

lol - yep it's that Webb nightmare again!!!!!!!!!:D

Merry
17-05-10, 14:59
Have you tried looking at the various overseas birth indexes? (on FMP, amongst others)

beaglelady
17-05-10, 15:53
Sorry Merry had to dash off to care for elderly mother and do her tea;.

No I don't have a subscription to FMP just Ancestry, but the researcher said he could view FMP for free at Kew, so hopefully he may find something.

Elaine.

Merry
17-05-10, 16:25
That's good.

I looked through all the John Webbs b 2 years either way of 1848 in 1861 and 1871, looking at the ones b overseas. Managed to eliminate all the ones I found for one reason or another.

beaglelady
17-05-10, 16:46
Ok Merry,

Thanks for looking, don't worry if you don't find anything, these Webb's are proving to be extremely difficult!!

I just hope the researcher can find something cos if he can't I don't know who can:confused::d

Well worth using his services as there is no way I could visit Kew as I care for my mother.

Thanks again Kite and everyone on forum,

Elaine.:)