PDA

View Full Version : Made a really basic mistake

JBee
24-04-10, 11:01
didn't get the certificate (until today) and went off on a tangent following the wrong path.

So have wasted time, effort on money researching wrong family - thought I knew better but didn't.

Anyway one good thing is that I've found a link to Cork in Ireland which is good - don't know her maiden name yet though - so another certificate.

Now have plenty of research to give someone if they're looking for the other family!!!!!

Margaret in Burton
24-04-10, 11:10
I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Followed the wrong family for a couple of years and went back over 200 years, all for nothing. It's maddening isn't it.

maggie_4_7
24-04-10, 12:33
oooooh that's why I'm so cautious especially with my Scottish lot.

English lot wasn't too bad but even they have led me up a few garden paths but not for long.

Merry
24-04-10, 12:52
I did that with a friend's tree. It wasn't obvious from her ancestors birth reg that said ancestor's mother had lost her husband 18 years earliern so he could hardly be the baby's father! I did his tree way back and it was the most interesting non-line of my friend's tree!

Nona
24-04-10, 14:29
How frustrating. Good luck.

It's okay when you can purchase a certificate in the UK but pre 1837 gets a bit harder - especially if you have a common name.

Ireland is something else!!

My husband has spent almost 30 years looking for paternal Irish ancestor Henry Fegan born in the last part of the 1700's in Down.
He left researching that until recently and went back to it in the last few years and found Henry's son stopped off in the Isle of Man to get married to his Irish girlfriend and have some children in the 1840's.
It wasn't until a later Census mentioned a dau born in the IOM that my husband discovered their marriage, they also noted the place where they were born so he knows the area to look at. Previously they had always put down Ireland. No luck yet finding the elusive Henry though.

My husband has also managed to discover another generation lately from someone who he thought was born in England but found out through Army records she was from Cork!!

Easier now there are more records online.

I hope you don't have as much frustration as he has had.

Nona

JBee
24-04-10, 17:11
I made the mistake of following back in the census for Patrick which looked right but there was someone else with the same name, approximate age and place of birth with parents born in Ireland. (Might be a cousin?!!!!) So I assumed (really bad thing to do).
At least the right one doesn't have loads of children born before marriage!!!!

Anyway I am pleased I've got his father's name as it was more difficult researching Patrick son of Patrick and wondering whether the names were correct or just put down as they were known as Paddy and totally different names in the BDM's

Anyway real Patrick's father died before he married in 1901 and all the sons seem to have the same occupation and place of birth. There's only a couple of deaths with one looking promising. So more certificates to get.

The best bit though is his mother put Cork on the 1901 census more so because I think she died before the 1911 census (got to check 1911 and get the death certificate).