PDA

View Full Version : The end of an old problem?

Phoenix
22-04-10, 12:57
Sworn is not the easiest name to research. There may never have been many bearers of the name, but boy, do they hide!

The IGI had an annoying little batch in Darlaston, Staffs. Mine suddenly appear in Salisbury, Wilts mid 1700s, but they do wander, and I wondered about them.

I had another search for the Staffs ones, AND TURNED THEM UP IN 1871, but not earlier.

A little more research, and they are Sivorns or Severns or whatever. So, no relationship to me, thank heavens:)

And, I get a new mistranscription to check;)

kiterunner
22-04-10, 14:17
Bet they've made you swear over the years (groan)

Phoenix
22-04-10, 14:38
Googling successfully for them is certainly a challenge. I usually come up with Shakespeare's plays.

Nell
24-04-10, 08:15
We often have to explore avenues that turn out to be blind alleys. I've just had to delete a whole raft of ex's family who had erroneously been mixed up with another lot just because they had the same surname, by a personal submitter on the IGI.

Nell
24-04-10, 08:17
As for mangled names, my gt x 3 Norfolk grandmother Kezia Seals is the only Seals in her parish register (for marriage and burial, can't find a baptism). However the same registers have Scales, Sales, Scarl, Searl - and I don't know if these are all the same family or not. I'm keener on the Sales lot as they seem most probable. Doesn't help that Kezia is recorded as Chisia in the banns book - although I suppose it alerts me to the fact that the chap filling in the register wasn't necessarily the best speller around!