PDA

View Full Version : Calling a detective please...

lozaras
22-04-10, 07:58
...to find an elusive birth ref:

for Charles Samuel Eastaugh in 1852 in Metfield, Suffolk (reg district HOXNE)

I'm fairly sure he was a son of William Eastaugh & Elizabeth (Aldous) but now that I'm looking more closely I'm not sure of anything ;(

- I have christening dates for him (12.12.1852) & his siblings but no sources noted (that means I either found them on the IGI - they may even have been 'submitted entries' or was "given" them at the beginning of my research 5 years ago !:( - very annoying:mad:.)

I have Charles Samuel Eastaugh on all census from 1861 (RG9 1152 folio 58 p16) to 1911 and he died in 1941. He was a railway station master. I believe his father was a shoemaker.

kiterunner
22-04-10, 08:11
His baptism is on the IGI and it is an extracted one! 12 Dec 1852 Metfield, parents William Eastaugh and Elizabeth.

Margaret in Burton
22-04-10, 08:12
Can't find a birth reg in the name of Eastaugh but there are three Charles Aldous born in 1852. Could he have been illegitimate?

kiterunner
22-04-10, 08:21
Maybe his birth wasn't registered as it wasn't compulsory in those days, or maybe it didn't get through to the GRO index? It looks as though his older sister Sarah Ann Eastaugh was registered Jun 1848.

lozaras
22-04-10, 08:29
Thanks Kate - now why couldn't I find that yesterday?? - I'll have another look.

Thanks Marg - he was the 4th of 7 children so I think he'd have had his father's name on the cert IF he had one. Aldous was quite a big family in the area - there are loads of them.

Margaret in Burton
22-04-10, 08:30
Kate is probably right then. You could always contact the local office and enquire, just in case it didn't make it to the GRO. I have two death certs like that.

Phoenix
22-04-10, 08:41
You have looked under Eastoe etc? I think Easthaugh is regarded as a variant spelling.

Margaret in Burton
22-04-10, 08:44
You have looked under Eastoe etc? I think Easthaugh is regarded as a variant spelling.

I looked under East*, nothing.

kiterunner
22-04-10, 08:47
Actually, it looks as if there might be a page of births missing from Dec 1852 - it goes straight from Easom to Easter on both FreeBMD and ancestry.

Margaret in Burton
22-04-10, 08:48
Actually, it looks as if there might be a page of births missing from Dec 1852 - it goes straight from Easom to Easter on both FreeBMD and ancestry.

Local office is sounding the best idea then.

Looks like Hoxne registers are either here:

Registers now divided between Gipping & Hartismere and Waveney districts.

The Register Office, Milton House, Milton Road South, Stowmarket, IP14 1EZ.
Tel: 01449 612054. Fax: 01449 775103.
E-mail: [email protected]

or here:

The Register Office, St Margaret's House, Gordon Road, Lowestoft, NR32 1JQ.
Tel: 01502 405096. Fax: 01502 508170.
E-mail: [email protected]

kiterunner
22-04-10, 08:49
It also goes straight from Easom to Easter on Family Relatives and Findmypast, so I reckon the page was never filmed.

kiterunner
22-04-10, 08:51
As I understand it, if you order a certificate from the GRO now, you don't get it any cheaper for quoting the ref number, so in theory you could order it from the GRO without the refs but I don't know whether they will search through the whole quarter of the Hoxne registration book, or just look at their index and not find it?

lozaras
22-04-10, 09:02
WOW!! I asked for detectives and I got them didn't I!! :)

Thank you ladies - I'll be phoning those offices to see where I should/could order from.

billeastoe
29-06-10, 12:53
Phoenix I agree with you. There is definitely a certain amount of interchange between Eastaugh and Easto(e) - seems to be across the Norfolk/Suffolk county border mainly, Easto(e) being mainly in Norfolk where it is then interchangeable with Easter (especially the family in Litcham).

Phoenix
29-06-10, 16:43
Welcome to the forum, Bill!

Curiously, I had a Bill Eastoe in mind when I posted that. If you belonged to ESFHS about ten years (or more!) ago, a double welcome!

lozaras
29-06-10, 19:44
Welcome to the forum Bill - you've certainly made a very useful entrance for me ;) (my Custance link)

It's a lovely place here.

Margaret in Burton
29-06-10, 19:50
Did you ever manage to get that cert Sarah?

lozaras
30-06-10, 20:43
Hi Marg,
I didn't get the cert straight away because the prices had only just gone up and I'd just bought about 15 (BEFORE the hike) :eek:

I did find out that it's the Stowmarket office that holds the record though.

I'll ring them tomorrow. :)

My bank account has recovered a little.

lozaras
01-07-10, 16:01
Ordered it today :D

lozaras
08-07-10, 12:32
I received the cert today but it's not the right one :( It's Stradbroke reg district (not Hoxne and the father's occupation doesn't match with the census (cordwainer instead of boot & shoemaker) and there's no mmn and it's typed (not copied from the register) with errors (he was born on the Thirsty first of October!)

I phoned the office to say that I had specifically asked for Hoxne reg district and the lady told me that Hoxne ceased to exist in 1842...

That's odd - because I've got birth refs for 3 of Charles' older siblings (1847, 1848 & 1850) and the refs for the 3 younger ones (1854, 1856 & 1860) all with Hoxne refs, as well as the parents' marriage ref in 1845.

FreeBMD shows Hoxne as "until 1907" ;(

Anyway, she's looking it out for me again and I'll call her later.

It's the first time I've ordered something without the GRO ref... not a great experience so far. and at £9.50

It's odd that it does say that he was born in Metfield and the parent's names are correct (apart from not having mmn).
The baptism date fits: 12th December, so when the baby was about 6 weeks old - logical.

Does anyone know where I can look up the Stradbroke reg dist???

Anstey Nomad
08-07-10, 12:40
Every definition I've just looked up for Cordwainer suggests very strongly that a cordwainer made footwear, originally of Cordovan leather...

Just a thought...

AN

lozaras
08-07-10, 12:42
Answered my own question

HOXNE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Suffolk.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Abolished : 1.7.1907 (succeeded by Hartismere district).
Sub-districts : Dennington; Stradbroke.
GRO volumes : XIII (1837-51); 4a (1852-1907).

So where did she get her 1842 info???

HARTISMERE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Suffolk.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Sub-districts : Botesdale; Dennington; Eye; Eye & Stradbroke; Mendlesham; Stradbroke
GRO volumes : XIII (1837-51); 4a (1852-1946); 4B (1946-74).

Metfield transferred to Hartismere on 1st July 1907

lozaras
08-07-10, 12:44
Every definition I've just looked up for Cordwainer suggests very strongly that a cordwainer made footwear, originally of Cordovan leather...

Just a thought...

AN

:o Curiouser & curiouser... I feel a bit silly not knowing that :rolleyes:- Thanks :)

There's still something a bit odd with the reg districts though

Merry
08-07-10, 12:48
lol!!

cordwainer instead of boot & shoemaker

Erm, have you checked the definition of cordwainer?? (No, you haven't!! :d)

Merry
08-07-10, 12:49
Oh, that's wierd........when I read this thread just now there were only a few posts, so ignore my last one - must be something amiss!

kiterunner
08-07-10, 12:50
Cordwainer is the same thing as boot and shoemaker, and the registration district shown on a cert ordered from the local register office is often different from the one shown on the GRO indexes, but Stradbroke was in the Hoxne district so it is the right one. If you look up a few entries on, say, Lancashire BMD, and compare the district shown with the one on FreeBMD you'll see the kind of thing I mean. It may be because of the difference between sub-districts and districts. So it will be the certificate that you ordered.

Edit - Er, same as what Merry said in her latest post!

lozaras
08-07-10, 13:00
Ok ok - I'm very red-faced about the cordwainer thing :(

Kate - I'm still confused - if he was born in Metfield, which, at that time, was Hoxne reg district then why would the cert say born in Metfield but have Stradbroke District at the top???
and why was there no mmn???

Phoenix
08-07-10, 13:01
I think the certs give the sub district rather than the district. It sounds like it's deffo the one you want - but as it is a copy, no harm checking in case the original did show mmn.

Merry
08-07-10, 13:59
I think the certs give the sub district rather than the district.

I agree :)

lozaras
08-07-10, 15:34
I just had the lady on the phone again and I have to send the cert back, they'll send another with the mmn - it IS in the register but didn't get typed out on the cert. At £9.50 it should have been checked shouldn't it? It's not rocket science.

Sorry - am a bit hot & bothered here - anyone can make a mistake & at least they'll fix it for the price of another stamp.

kiterunner
08-07-10, 15:46
I can't understand why you have to bother sending it back, Sarah - I bet when they get it back they'll just throw it away! But glad to hear they're going to send you one with the MMN.

lozaras
08-07-10, 16:58
No, I can't see why either Kate - it's a bit silly really isn't it? especially as the cert they sent me isn't a true copy of the register because the register did show the mmn.
Never mind.

Merry
08-07-10, 17:48
especially as the cert they sent me isn't a true copy of the register

I should think that is precisely why they want it back - they can't have duff certs floating around as someone could be found to be in trouble for not checking the details typed (yes, they are supposed to be checked before they are issued). Maybe in this instance with a very old cert nothing would come of it, but imagine if you got a copy of a cert for (say) a living person and there was a bad mistake made which might be of significance to the individual. :eek:

Olde Crone
08-07-10, 21:43
You have always been supposed to send back wrong certs (that sentence seems clumsy but I can't think how else to put it, lol) but I have yet to meet anyone who has ever done so voluntarily. I can't remember WHY you are supposed to send them back...possibly because they are the property of the GRO????

In this case it is possibly so that they can issue the correct one without having to charge you again - internal bookkeeping?

(But it seems like it may be the correct cert anyway....)

OC

lozaras
09-07-10, 07:16
OC - it is the correct cert - but the mmn was not put on the copy they typed for me. It was obviously done in a hurry and not checked either because the poor chap was born on the thirsty first of October.
The mmn is in the register.
As I'm using my cert as evidence to back up my tree and the information on it - ie parents & especially mmn (which I knew from church records) - I think it's important that the date and names & places are transcribed accurately.

Both of you gave plausible reasons for sending this one back though.

*psst! Don't tell anyone but I have scanned the cert anyway, while I'm waiting for tthe correct one to arrive. ;)

cseastaugh
01-12-11, 22:51
Hi Sarah (and others),

I'm tangled up in the 'William Eastaugh the cordwainer' business at the moment...

My grandfather's grandfather was William Eastaugh of Peasenhall, born about 1808 (according to the 1841 census). He emigrated to Australia in 1850, with wife and 5 children. There was also a William Eastaugh the cordwainer in Peasenhall in 1801 and 1804 (in the indenture records, he was hiring apprentices). I remember my father saying that our ancestors were "William, son of William, son of William", but this might be an exaggeration. :-)

I also found a William Eastaugh the cordwainer hiring apprentices in Halesworth in 1798, and a William Eastaugh the cordwainer being busted for fathering a bastard in 1770 in Wenhaston, in company with a Robert Eastaugh and a William Norreth.

I suspect that this William the cordwainer I describe was my gf's gf's father, but I have no definitive evidence of this. It may (plausibly) be that William the younger of Peasenhall left his eldest child/ren behind in Engand (another William who took up his dad's trade, father of Charles??). William the younger of Peasenhall did take his wife with him to Australia though: Alice Betts.

Maybe this is useful, or maybe you can give me some hints! All these Williams are starting to look the same....

Chris

lozaras
02-12-11, 05:32
Hello Chris!!

Welcome to the forum, as you've read on this thread, they're really helpful here :)

I'll be diving back into the tree later on today so I'll see what I can unravel with the Williams.

cseastaugh
22-12-11, 22:35
OK Sarah, any help would be much appreciated! I'm hoping to go to Suffolk sometime to see what I can dig up, but the more details I have already the more efficiently I'll be able to look for things.

lozaras
26-12-11, 16:39
Hi Chris - I'm not sure how we're connected but we probably are, given the geography.

The oldest generation I have is John Eastaugh (b 1788 Darsham) who married Lydia Tink (b 1801 Westhall) in 1814 in Wenhaston (this made him 26 and her only 13 though ??? - could be a flaw in my research - maybe it's not the right marriage) though I do have them on census:

1841: HO107 1026 b2 folio 12 p19
1851: HO107 1796 folio 214 p4
1861: RG9 1152 folio 58 p16

He was a shoemaker and lived in Metfield.

My ancestor was one of his sons, William (b1821 Metfield), who married Elizabeth Aldous of Metfield.
William died July 1884 and Elizabeth in May 1908
They are buried in Metfield:

There is a Jeremiah Eastaugh (blacksmith according to his headstone) buried 1788 in Darsham aged 69. Another connection that needs to be found...

cseastaugh
13-01-12, 18:06
Depending on the dates of birth and marriage, I guess Lydia could have been 'almost 15' in teenager-speak. :-) It certainly makes things difficult trying to sort out which generation is which though! My William (born 1808) could have been John's brother, or son, or nephew, or...

There was definitely a William the cordwainer haunting around Wenhaston in 1770 though. Wenhaston, Peasenhall and Darsham are all within about a 10 kilometer radius, so I guess they are all part of the same mob somehow. And they all made shoes! Metfield is a little further to the north, but still within walking distance.