PDA

View Full Version : Fleetwood/ Meredith

Nona
21-04-10, 21:48
Hi

I have Robert Fleetwood who married Frances Meredith on the 7 Nov 1824 Ledbury, Herefordshire.
He died in Ledbury in 1828.

I wonder if anyone could check on Robert's birth/baptism.
I think it is 1788 in Putley to Joseph Fleetwood & Anne but I need confirmation, Also if there is any info on his parents

His burial puts him at aged 40 on FreeReg, which seem to fit.

Frances married Thomas Floyd later but I have no details about her except she gives her birthplace on one of the censuses as Stoke Edith, Herefordshire.

Any information would be wonderful

thank you

Nona:)

kiterunner
21-04-10, 21:55
So, are you saying you have seen the Robert Fleetwood baptism 27 Apr 1788, Putley, Herefordshire, parents Joseph and Anne, on the FamilySearch site and you would like someone to look at the parish register to confirm the baptism is there, or are you saying you need a way to prove that the Robert in the baptism is the same one who married Frances Meredith?

Nona
22-04-10, 07:52
Hi Kiterunner

Sorry if I wasn't plain.
I would like to confirm that the Robert from Putley is the same one who married Frances.
I got the christening, marriage and burial from

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl
I also checked the baptism & marriage on familysearch.

Thank you

Nona

Margaret in Burton
22-04-10, 08:18
Lindy Tumblethump, a member of this site, researches Fleetwoods. If she doesn't see this you could always PM her. She may already have the info you need.

Merry
22-04-10, 10:17
I can't help with deciding if that's the right baptism for Robert, but I would say you must see the original PR record for his marriage to Frances Meredith as you may find she wasn't a spinster, being into her 30s in 1824.

kiterunner
22-04-10, 14:12
Robert may also turn out to be a widower on the marriage to Frances as he would also have been in his 30s.

I tried to check the marriage on FreeREG to see if it said whether they were widow / widower but I can't find it on there.

Merry
22-04-10, 15:14
I tried to check the marriage on FreeREG to see if it said whether they were widow / widower but I can't find it on there.

No, I couldn't find it either. :(

Nona
23-04-10, 20:22
Record_ID: 58126
Entry_Number: 212
Year: 1824
Month: Nov
Day: 7
Grooms_Surname: FLEETWOOD
Grooms_Forenames: Robert
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Ledbury
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: MEREDITH
Brides_Forenames: Frances
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Ledbury
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Elizabeth Barrett
Witness_2: James Pedlingham
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: J A Montgomery Clerk
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: BO92/18
Page_Number: 71
Parish_Chapel: Ledbury
Soundex_Groom: F433
Soundex_Bride: M633

So sorry it was from the Forest of Dean Family History. It states that Robert was a Batchelor & Frances was a Spinster.

Marg Thank you for that I' PM her.

Nona

luxmalc
05-12-14, 19:12
Hi
My Gt Grandmother was Mary Ann Fleetwood b1834 in Ledbury and died 1907 in Newent. Her father John Fleetwood, butcher in Ledbury dc 1850 was probably a 1st cousin of the Robert mentioned in these posts and her mother could well have been a Mary Davies.
Problem I have is that, apart from a newspaper ad in Dec 1851 by the solicitors asking for details of creditors & debtors of the deceased John & Mary to come forward, I cannot find death records for either of them (in Ancestry, Findmypast, familysearch.org, Freereg, or Freebmd) so was wondering if the Lindy Tumblethump mentioned by Margaret above might be able to help but, of course, I realise that these posts are quite old and I can't find anyone now listed on the member database of Lindy's name and nobody has registered Fleetwood as a surname interest. Help please !
Many Thanks !

Merry
05-12-14, 19:36
Is this part of the newspaper cutting?

.....whom the late JOHN FLEETWOOD, of Ledbury, Butcher, or his Widow, Mary Fleetwood,stood indebted at the time of their respective Deaths, are desired to send the particulars thereof to the Executor, Mr. James Ward, of Flights, near Ledbury ; and all Persons ...”

13 December 1851 - Hereford Times - Hereford, Herefordshire

Is this not the right John?

Deaths Jun 1850
FLEETWOOD John Ledbury 26 163

Merry
05-12-14, 19:53
I see Mary is still alive for the 1851 census so she should have died between then and Dec 1851.

I don't see a GRO index entry for her, but if you are going to make an application to the local RO you could ask them if they can find the local record, most likely in the same sub district as John (if the reg I posted is the right one) and between April and Dec 1851.

Merry
05-12-14, 20:03
There's a newspaper notice saying John Ledbury, butcher, died 26 May 1850 in New Street Ledbury aged 47 (Hereford Times 01 June 1850). So the death reg I found should be the right one.

Merry
05-12-14, 22:10
I've found Mary Fleetwood's death reg by looking at the GRO pages:

1851 Q4 Mary Fleetwood Ledbury vol 26 page 141

luxmalc
06-12-14, 11:03
Hi Merry
Very many thanks for the speedy response. Sorry, in trying to be brief for a "quick reply", I didn't give the full story so mislead everyone.
Yes I had found the death of a John in 1850 and in the 51 census wife Mary is a Widow but with so many Johns in Ledbury (incl other Johns & Marys producing children at the same time !), all I can say is that the 1850 one was likely but not definite.
The real problem is wife Mary - just can't find any death for her, no matter what wildcarding I use. Yes, that's one of 2 similar newspaper cuttings I've found from late 1851, so all I can think of is that she is the Harriet Fleetwood who is shown dying in Q1 1852 in Ledbury. There are no Harriet Fleetwoods anywhere in Herefs or Worcs in 1851 census - her 10yr old daughter Harriet was exceptionally recorded in 1851 as Hannah so perhaps there was a bit of colloquial naming going on ?
Or perhaps she used the proceeds of John's life assurance policy for a foreign holiday ?

Merry
06-12-14, 11:43
The real problem is wife Mary - just can't find any death for her

I posted her death reg in post #13!!!!

The one for John in 1850 is the right entry as it is the right Q for his death as per the newspaper cutting I posted mentioning his age and occupation. (post #12)

luxmalc
07-12-14, 10:36
Hi Merry
Thank you so much for all the valuable info ..... and for the tip about how to access the GRO records if one can't find a person in the index - very useful ! Using your tip I have now found Mary Fleetwood's death via FreeBMD too.
Many thanks also for your earlier posts which I missed. Slapped wrist time as I didn't Refresh the page before finishing writing my response to you. Sorry !
What search are you using for the newspapers please ? I have now found the death report of John Fleetwood that you mentioned via Findmypast but I do find their searches very 'hit & miss' .... and as for not being able to search their Census records by birthplace any more. Grrr!
Best wishes & thanks again
Malcolm

Merry
07-12-14, 11:01
lol!!

I used fmp to find the death notice for john Fleetwood, but I much prefer the Gale site (often available via your local library membership)

You can search by birthplace on fmp census search (well, sort of!)

If you select the dropdown box under Search records and click Census, land and surveys. On the next screen click on All collections and click Census. The next screen has an optional keywords box at the bottom and you can put the birthplace in there. However, you will gets results for people living in your chosen birth place, but not necessarily born there, too! Plus you are relying on the transcript being spelled the same way you have spelled the birthplace :D

Merry
07-12-14, 11:18
I much prefer the Gale site (often available via your local library membership)

but I don't think Gale has the Hereford Times :(

luxmalc
07-12-14, 20:01
Hi Merry
Many thanks for the FMP trick !
When I tried it in the normal way from the standard tool bar "Search" drop down menu (yellowy background) then selected "Census, land & surveys", the "browse record collection" is the penultimate box at the bottom of the page. Selecting "Census" from the list then "Apply filters" yields no Keywords box.
However, as you say, if you click on "Census, land & surveys" from the Search drop-down then switch to the (blue) sub heading links, the 3rd link from the left is "All collections" and selecting Census from the (black on white) drop down menu it yields does indeed give the additional bottom line "additional keywords" ... and it works just as you described !
I use Google Chrome under Win XP or 7 Home so the colours & page layout may not be the same on all browsers.
Anyway, thanks a million for the tip off. Wonderful :)
Best wishes
Malcolm

Merry
07-12-14, 20:29
I'm glad that worked!!

Have you got copies of the wills for John and Mary?

luxmalc
07-12-14, 21:49
Thanks for that kind offer but just dashing away now for 10 days so will look into that when back in harness ... dreckly :)
Best wishes
Malcolm

Margaret in Burton
09-12-14, 17:57
Lindytumblethump is still listed as a member. Try sending her a private message. ( top right of your screen).