PDA

View Full Version : LMA Question

Phoenix
21-04-10, 16:45
I used to be able to interrogate LMA website for Surrey Marriage Licences. No longer. Is that facility still there, or is it on Ancestry now?

ElizabethHerts
21-04-10, 16:51
Phoenix, you and I must have been doing the same thing at the same time!

I found the LMA site very difficult to navigate today.
Apparently the will of my ancestor Thomas Andrew who died in 1803 should be on there but I can't find it.

*Awaits answer impatiently*

Phoenix
21-04-10, 17:07
It looks as if they have removed the London Signatures. I certainly can't find it.

There's this: http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/17B65CB7-D22C-468D-9EE9-DE22B646C762/0/WillsAB.pdf which includes a Thomas Andrews, will on microfilm, but probably not the same man as it's 1802.

Sue from Southend
21-04-10, 17:13
Phoenix

If you go into Family Research, the London Signatures link is further down that page....

Phoenix
21-04-10, 17:17
Thank you, Sue!

You'd think they'd make it a leetle more prominent, wouldn't you!

kiterunner
21-04-10, 17:51
I usually get to it by googling London Signatures.

Sue from Southend
21-04-10, 20:33
Phoenix, you and I must have been doing the same thing at the same time!

I found the LMA site very difficult to navigate today.
Apparently the will of my ancestor Thomas Andrew who died in 1803 should be on there but I can't find it.

*Awaits answer impatiently*

There's this, Elizabeth

http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/111/2/126/1730808?RECORD

You've not said where your Thomas lived. This looks like a box of Wills that you have to go trawl through - no guaranteeing that it's not the same one found in the index by Phoenix though!

Edit: The one Phoenix found was from Shoreditch.....

ElizabethHerts
21-04-10, 20:45
Sue, many thanks, that is him!

Someone has transcribed part of it on the Surrey wills website.
Thomas Andrew actually came from Cocking in Sussex and was buried there, but it seems he had property in Cranleigh Surrey.

I want to get the whole will. Apparently it was contested and went to Chancery!

Isn't the LMA website horrendous to navigate? I always get lost - I would never have found this, so many thanks again. :)

Sue from Southend
21-04-10, 21:00
Glad to be doing something useful!

Most of the LMA catalogue is searchable now- just log in as a Guest and away you go. I put "Thomas Andrews" in the search box and trawled through quite a lot of results. I don't seem to have much success with their so called advanced search though!