PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey Gregory Pridden - revisited

Phoenix
21-04-10, 12:40
Idly popped onto Ancestry (as you do!) I can see from interogating the index that not only did HGP marry Elizabeth Mearns somewhere! but that they had HGP the criminal & brother Joseph (also not to be trusted!) baptised.

Could sks let me know the parishes involved & the dates? I'd swear that these weren't there last time I looked - at least the baptisms weren't.

I can't access marriages at Kew, so I'd be nosy to know witnesses at the marriage - I bet it wasn't HGP's worthy brother!

Merry
21-04-10, 12:53
Is that the same man marrying four times?

Anyway.....9th Oct 1810 St Mary's Newington

HGP of St Andrew Holborn in the County of Middlesex, bachelor, and Elizabeth Mearns, OTP, spinster. By licence. Both signed. Witnesses Peter Palmer and Hester Mearns (her mark)

Merry
21-04-10, 12:57
Baps:

HG, born 17th Aug 1814, bap 9th Oct 1814 at St Mary's, Islington. Son of HG and Elizabeth Pridden of North Place. Father's occ - gentleman!

Joseph bap 8th May 1816 at the City of London Lying-In Hospital, City Road, Finsbury. Son of HG and Elizabeth Pridden of Islington. Father's occ bookseller.

EDIT Joseph's bap is indexed as 9th May, but register says 8th.

Phoenix
21-04-10, 13:00
Ooh, thank you, Merry! I'd looked in Holborn, but not south of the river.

There are (from memory) FIVE Humphrey Gregory Priddens. The bookseller from Holborn, his son the criminal (&sausage skin maker) his son who died young, his son (remarkable for nothing that I can recall) & his son, who died in WW1 & brought the sorry line to an end.

Merry
21-04-10, 13:01
Is one of them middle name George?

Merry
21-04-10, 13:04
Is one of them middle name George?

Forget that - mistranscription for HGP bap 5th Feb 1865 at St Leo Shoreditch. Clearly says Gregory for both the baby and father.

Phoenix
21-04-10, 13:12
Brilliant! Thank you so much!

Gentleman is not too wide of the mark as HGP senior's death is recorded in the Gentleman's Magazine and his respectable brother was a clergyman. But his son abandoned his wife Sarah to the workhouse in 1841.

Merry
21-04-10, 13:48
&sausage skin maker

Did we manufacture sausage skin in those days? I thought they would be made from animal intestines?

I wonder if he added human flesh to the sausages like my granddad!! lol (only his own finger tips, but he charged extra for tham!)

Phoenix
21-04-10, 13:59
Merry, I'm eating my lunch at the moment!