PDA

View Full Version : Achievements.co.uk

Muggins in Sussex
21-04-10, 06:17
Has anyone used this website? http://www.achievements.co.uk/index.html

I was trying to search for a surname in the trade directories (under "online searches") and got stuck! :confused:

Edit...Update...I dont think I had read the instructions properly!! -

Kit
21-04-10, 06:40
I haven't used it Joan but I suspect it may be expensive.

If you can put up the surname do so and maybe someone else can try and see what info you get in the index. Anything else you will have to pay for.

kiterunner
21-04-10, 07:30
I did use their service a few years ago, and I don't think you get to search for the name online, I think all you search for is the directory and then you order them to do the search. When I used them I think I ordered searches from 2 London directories, but it turned out one of those was not the right directory (they had listed it as London but it was really the suburbs only, or something like that) but I did get a nice photocopy from the other one which had the entry I was looking for.

Nowadays there are lots of sites with online directories - Historical Directories, ancestry, Family Relatives, etc, so I would recommend trying those first before spending £15 on a search which may or may not be successful.

Muggins in Sussex
22-04-10, 05:46
Thank you for you offer Toni :) ( I was actually after John Dowsett in Hove in the 1920's and 30's) - but I think Kite is right, and that it is not possible to search by name on line. I will try your other suggestions Kite- :)

Kit
22-04-10, 07:53
Joan these trade directories are for Hove in the right time:

Kelly's Directory of Brighton, Hove and Portslade, 1933

Pike's Directory of Brighton, Hove and District, 1936-7

Kelly's Directory of Brighton, Hove, Portslade, 1940

Edit: I don't think i read the site properly either. lol