PDA

View Full Version : Memorial service for Queen Victoria

Tom Tom
19-04-10, 20:44
Wasn't sure where to put this, so decided to put it here.

It is written across the burial register by Arthur Simmonds Mammatt, the vicar of Packington Church at the time. (He is also in my tree by marriage)

At Saturday February 2nd at 12 o'clock a Memorial service (consisting of The Liturgy and Burial service with two special prayers, also 3 hymns) was held in Packington Church, being the day of the funeral of Her Late Majesty Queen Victoria of Blessed and ever glorious Memory who died at Osborne Jan 22nd 1901, at 6.30pm, aged 81, in the 64th year of her reign.

I thought it was worth sharing with everyone on here.

:)

Georgette
20-04-10, 09:26
It's fascinating to read snippets like that in the registers :)

I came a cross a slightly more gruesome one in burials for 1767 in West Harling, Norfolk. The body of an unknown man was found dead in the Parsonage barn. It was thought that he may have been there since Christmas when a poor man had been seen in the area. The burial took place in September, so he had been there a very long time. The entry in the register also explained that the Parsonage was empty at the time, which is why he hadn't been found sooner. What a horrible discovery for someone to make :(

A happier one was a fantastic entry in French, written right across the neatly held local register of a church in Great Yarmouth, for a marriage undertaken between two French people and celebrated by a French priest. Unfortunately, I can't remember which parish it was in :o

Kit
21-04-10, 02:49
That's interesting, thanks Tom.

Jill
21-04-10, 06:15
I expect they held memorial services all over the country (& the Empire) for the Queen but I wouldn't have expected to see a record where you found it, good spot Tom.