PDA

View Full Version : The marriage of William Phillips & Jane Jacobs.

Langley Vale Sue
19-04-10, 20:11
Having today got the birth certificate of my GG grandmother, Lydia Jane Phillips, I have the names of her parents, William Phillips and Jane Phillips, nee Jacobs. William is listed as deceased on Lydia's birth certificate but, interestingly, not on her marriage certificate.
Lydia was born in January 1841 in St Luke, Middlesex, which I think is the Islington area, but the 1841 census for this area is missing and I can't find Jane or Lydia.

I cannot find a marriage for William & Jane on Free BMD, but there is a listing for a marriage of Jane Jacobs to William Phillips on Ancestry LMA records. Finances still won't allow me to upgrade my membership to view this record, so can I again ask for a kind person to check out this marriage record please and tell me what it contains.

Thank you in advance.

WendyPusey
19-04-10, 20:20
Is it the one in 1831?

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the image Sue.

Langley Vale Sue
19-04-10, 20:28
I don't know what year the marriage was but that is the only one I can find so far with those two names. I'm clutching at straws really!

I've sent you a PM Wendy.

Merry
19-04-10, 21:07
Interestingly it doesn't mention William being dec'd on Lydia's baptism either:

Oct 24th 1847 St Mary's Islington

Lydia Jane (born 13th Jan 1841), dau of William and Jane Phillips of City Gardens. Father's occ, Coal Porter.

Merry
19-04-10, 21:23
Did you know Jane Phillips nee Jacobs remarried in 1843?

23rd April 1843 St John the Baptist, Hoxton

Phillip Lawrence, full age, widower, coal porter, City Garden Row, William Lawrence dec'd labourer
Jane Phillips, full age, widow, City Garden Row, Robert Jacobs dec'd labourer

witnesses William Treder (?) his mark
William Ballance

They are all at 22 City Gardens in 1851.

Langley Vale Sue
20-04-10, 10:31
Thank you Merry, no I didn't know that. Thank you so much for that. That also gives me Jane's father's name.

Looking at the census it seems like Lydia possibly had a sister Mary who was 2 years older. I'll see if I can find her birth or baptism.

Strange that Lydia was baptised after her mother remarried and was married both with the surname Phillips but appeared as Lawrence in 1851 census.

Update: Mary appears to be Phillip's daughter, but not Jane's.(1841 census)

Merry
20-04-10, 12:20
This looks like Mary's baptism then....

4th Nov 1838 St Mary's Islington,
Mary (born 30th Oct 1838) dau of Phillip and Betsy Lawrence of Nelson Place. Father's occ labourer.

This may be his wife's death:

Deaths Jun 1841
LAWRENCE Betsey Islington 3 125

(unless she is one of the numerous Elizabeths! lol)

Langley Vale Sue
20-04-10, 13:53
That could be the death of Phillip's first wife. I hadn't realised that the 1841 census wasn't taken until June, which would explain why Phillip & his daughter Mary were alone then.

Thank you again. I'm gradually chipping away at this brick wall, just wish I could do that with some of the others. :) I'm sure I'll get there in the end - fingers crossed!

Merry
20-04-10, 15:14
Have you seen the 1851 census page? I can't decide where the Lawrences say they were born.

Phoenix
20-04-10, 15:56
Have you seen the 1851 census page? I can't decide where the Lawrences say they were born.

It looks like South Mimms. Which fits with him saying in 1871 that he's born in Barnet - not that far away. In 1871 Jane (is it the same Jane? says Ripley, Surrey)

Phoenix
20-04-10, 15:59
Ooh, it might be:

JANE JACOBS
bp: 01 FEB 1807 Send And Ripley, Surrey, England
Parents:
Father: ROBERT JACOBS
Mother: SOPHIA CHARLOTTE

Phoenix
20-04-10, 16:03
I'll let Sue plough on with this, but guess what Jane's sister is called;)

Langley Vale Sue
20-04-10, 19:04
I know, I know :) She's called Lydia :D and I think Sophia Charlotte's maiden name was Jarrett - need to check that though.

On one of the censuses, can't remember which one offhand, both Jane & Phillip's birthplace is shown as Southminster. Various censuses show Phillip as being born in Barnet or South Mimms, but Jane was definitely born in Ripley.

Woo Hoo Woking here I come :D (Surrey History Centre) Makes a change to find some local rellies :)

Thank you Merry & Phoenix.