PDA

View Full Version : William Dorton & Jane Kerr c 1798 London

Nona
19-04-10, 11:18
Hi Everyone

I have William Dorton, Silk Weaver, marrying Jane Kerr in 1818 in Bethnal Green, she dies in 1851 just before the census and they are living at 11 Park Street at the time.
1841 census HO107/ 692/ 5/ 2
1851 Census for 11 Park Street has William, Hand loom silk Weaver, with a son William aged 18 both b Bethnal Green. HO107/ 1540/ 540/ 29

I believe he remarries, as a widower, Sarah Cushway in 1859, and he states his father is John Dorton, a weaver.
In 1861, this William, a Silk Weaver, is living at 22 Park Street with Sarah, a son William aged 26? [unfortunately the age is crossed through] and step children. RG 9/ 256/ 3/ 16

My problems are
Is it the same William? How can I prove it?
There are two baptisms for a William Dorton in 1798 at Bethnal Green
William s of John & Mary bap 1798
William s of William & Sarah bap 1798.

I have a feeling it is the same William son of John Dorton & Mary? [maybe Goffee].

Also trying to find Jane Kerr's parents.

Any help much appreciated.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Regards Nona

Phoenix
19-04-10, 11:40
Can you find any other William Dortons in 1841/51? If the other baby survived, he ought to be on the 1841 census.

Is there an address for the marriage, or an age?

My gut feeling is the other baby died/moved away, but a burial would be helpful.

Merry
19-04-10, 11:50
At the 1818 marriage the witnesses are Rebecca Kerr and what looks like John Shoulder! Says they are bachelor and spinster, both of 'this parish and the hamlet of M.E.N.T.' (Mile End New Town)

Merry
19-04-10, 11:59
William jr wasn't bap until 1840 despite being b in 1834. There's a Rebecca Elizabeth too. I will post dates later if you need them, but I don't have time now.

kiterunner
19-04-10, 12:32
Have you checked to see if any of the parents of either William left a will?

Phoenix
19-04-10, 12:39
On Family Search there is the bp of a Jane Watson Kerr and a Rebecca Kerr, not the same parish, but right area & both children of James & Rebecca Kerr.

Nona
19-04-10, 19:56
Hi Everyone and thank you for all your interest.

Pheonix
Jane would have been about 54, when she died in 1851. In 1841 their youngest child was William aged 9. Maybe I ought to get the death cert although I don't think there will be much information.
I will check the other 1798 William. I think his parents William [wife Sarah] and the other William's [I think is mine] parents John [wife Mary] are brothers sons of John Dorton & Priscilla. If so the male line is okay anyway, it is the female line that would be different.
I also have the IGI entries regarding Jane Kerr you have found plus a couple more.
The Dorton family moved around Spitalfields, Stepney, Hackney & Bethnal Green as that was were the silk weavers branched out to. Many were descendents of the French or Flemish Huguenots.

Merry
Thank you for looking up the marriage & baptisms for me.
I already have a copy of the wedding cert and Rebecce E and William's baptism entries plus also Sarah [mine] 1824, Mary 1825 & Daniel 1828.

Kiterunner
I have not checked the wills as silk weavers at this time were very poor and I didn't think they had much to leave but maybe a previous generation did leave something so it is definitely an avenue to explore.

Thank you once again for your help

Nona