PDA

View Full Version : Birth Certificate query

Langley Vale Sue
18-04-10, 19:33
Yesterday my G G grandfather's birth certificate came from the GRO. In the column headed 'When & where born' I think it reads 25th Sept at 1.46am at 24 Grove Street, Camden Town. His birth was registered by his father on 23 October 1837.

Am I right in thinking that, because there is a time of birth listed, he was born a twin? Or was it just diligence on the part of the Registrar as this was still a fairly new procedure when GG grandfather was born?

samesizedfeet
18-04-10, 19:56
I'd say it's the registrar being extra diligent.

if you look at the page for his birth there does appear to be a set of twins (Taylor) so perhaps they were registered with times so the person filling in teh births that followed maybe thought you had to put times.

There isn't a birth or death registration for another Tivers that would match teh twin theory.

My 5 x great grandmother's death registration gives her age down to the hour e.g. 59 years, 8 months, 2 weeks, 6 days and 12 hours*. That can only be an overkeen registrar or a very picky informant.

*the numbers here are made up as I don't have the cert to hand

Olde Crone
18-04-10, 20:01
Yes, I believe in the early days of registration the instructions were a little confused and many Registrars thought they had to put the time of birth on the cert.

OC

Langley Vale Sue
18-04-10, 20:36
Thanks Zoe & OC.

I thought it was probably the over keen Registrar :)

Oh well, still no twins in my family at all :( Maybe one day I'll find some!

Kit
19-04-10, 09:50
Sue according to my cousin they are overrated. lol

Langley Vale Sue
19-04-10, 09:53
LOL Kit :)