PDA

View Full Version : Macavoys

kiterunner
18-04-10, 11:38
Any help with this one would be appreciated!

Emily Macavoy married Patrick Kelly 22nd March 1909 at St Pancras Register Office. Patrick was born 1891 in Pancras and his father was David Kelly; I've got plenty of info on them. But Emily is causing a lot of confusion! She gives her age as 19, spinster of 4 Leybourne Street (same address as Patrick), father Charles Macavoy (deceased), carpenter. Witnesses were Herbert E Boorer and Jane Plowman.

Jane Macavoy married George Frederick Plowman Jul-Sep 1897 in Pancras, and this is them in 1901:
1 Archer Street, Pancras
George F Plowman Head M 22 Ostler Pancras
Jane Do Wife M 21 Do
Ellen J Do Daur S 2 Do

So this must be the Macavoy family in 1891 (transcribed as Mackleooy on ancestry):
43 Collier Street, Clerkenwell
George Macklevoy Head M 38 Porter Suffolk Bury St Eds
Sarah Ann Do Wife M 46 Laundress London Marylebone
Jane Do Daur 11 Do St Pancras
Emily Do Daur 1 Do Bloomsbury

Birth registrations for Jane and Emily:
Apr-Jun 1879 Macavoy Jane Pancras 1b 103
Oct-Dec 1889 Macavoy Emily St Giles 1b 612.

I can't find them in 1881, nor any of them apart from Jane in 1901 or 1911. (Not found Patrick and Emily Kelly in 1911 either.) This is Jane in 1911, in Pancras:
Jane Plowman Wife M 31 Pancras
Ellen Plowman Daughter 12 Pancras
George Plowman Son 8 Pancras
Emily Plowman Daughter 5 Pancras
Chales Plowman Son 3

So, can anyone find any of the Macavoys on any of the censuses, or find George and Sarah Ann's marriage, or deaths, please? This isn't my tree but I have passed the birth cert info onto the person whose tree it is so they can order certs and get Sarah Ann's maiden name, but hopefully we can find something in the meantime!

kiterunner
18-04-10, 13:06
Better post up what I've just found before I go shopping:

Marriage 6th July 1863 at St Pancras Church
Charles Macavoy, minor, bachelor, carpenter, residence Mortimer Market, father Henry Macavoy, dead
Sarah Ann Holloway, minor, spinster, residence Wilstead Cottages, father Charles Holloway, cabman.
Witnesses Edward Wells and Ann Elizabeth Macavoy.

Death registered Dec 1883 Pancras - Charles Macavoy, age 38.

So is George Macavoy Charles's brother perhaps?

kiterunner
18-04-10, 16:04
(talking to myself, lol)
No, I've now found Charles with his parents on the 1851 and 1861 censuses and there is no George, and all the children were born in London anyway. Still no idea who George was. Unfortunately it looks as if all the info I have found about Charles' family isn't going to be much use as he is obviously not my contact's ancestor! Now I'm wondering whether George really had a completely different surname and was just using Sarah's surname for some reason.

I've found a death for Sarah Ann Macavoy Mar 1919 Pancras age 73 but still can't find her on the 1911 census.

Merry
18-04-10, 19:47
Death registered Dec 1909 Pancras - Charles Macavoy, age 38.

Where did you find this? I can only find a death in 1900 for a Chas b 1872 (son of Chas ad Sarah Ann and bro of George - LMA baps)

Could you please clarify what we are actually looking for as I can't make the original post stick in my mind long enough to work it out!

kiterunner
18-04-10, 19:59
Sorry, I've put a completely wrong year there! Charles Macavoy died in 1883 - I'll correct it to avoid confusion.

As for what we're looking for, it's making my head hurt too, but I'm trying to work out who Emily Macavoy's father was. She says on her marriage cert that Charles Macavoy was her father, but he died 6 years before she was born, and it looks likely that George is her father, but although George calls himself Macklevoy on the 1891 census, I don't think that (or Macavoy) was his name. If we could find Emily and Sarah (and George?) on the 1901 or 1911 census maybe it would give us a clue.

Merry
18-04-10, 20:20
Jane Macavoy seems to have originally had father Charles, not George:

Name: Jane Macavoy
Record Type: Baptism
Date: 30 Jun 1879
Father's Name: Charles Macavoy (carpenter)
Mother's Name: Sarah Macavoy
Parish: St Pancras Parish Church
Borough: Camden
County: Middlesex

there are quite a few baps with these parents, but the last one is in 1883.

Merry
18-04-10, 20:22
Charles and Sarah Ann should be at 12 York Buildings (Camden or St Panc?) in 1881 as they are there before and after this date according to bap records.

Merry
18-04-10, 20:27
But they are not there for the census! In 1871 they should be at Charlton St for similar reasons!!

Merry
18-04-10, 20:33
OK, now I get it. Sarah Ann was m to Charles Macavoy until his death in 1883but after that she was magically living with a man called George who may have assumed her surname (as there are no Macavoys b in Bury St Edmonds!). Most likely George X is the father of Emily.

So, that's no help at all, except I now know what the problem is!! lol

Merry
18-04-10, 20:58
So, if Sarah and Emily have decided to use George's surname in 1901 then they are not being helpful about it.

Merry
18-04-10, 21:04
Witnesses were Herbert E Boorer

Hmmm....1901

Herbert Boorer head 48 caretaker of dwellings b Godstone, Surrey
Sarah Ann Boorer wife m 55/58 b Marylebone
Emily Boorer 11 dau b St Giles <<<<<<<<<<<<< 'your' Emily??
Alice McAvoy visitor 6mths b St Pancras

Merry
18-04-10, 21:11
Any ideas?

Births Dec 1900
Macavoy Alice Louisa Pancras 1b 133

Alice Louisa Macaboy
[Alice Louisa Macavoy]
Record Type: Baptism
Date: 17 Oct 1900
Father's Name: Charles Macaboy
Mother's Name: Harriett Macaboy
Parish: St Martin, Kentish Town
Borough: Camden
County: Middlesex

Oh, hang on - Harriet is a widowed servant in 1901 (I saw her earlier) and her OH was Charles Macavoy 1872-1900 who was the son of Sarah Ann and the original Charles. I know she was b Isle of Wight 1870 and her maiden name was Wickens and the Macavoy was spelled wrong! I'll let you find her again lol!!!

Still doesn't tell us who Emily's dad was. I bet her birth cert says the very dead Charles was her father (or no one)

Merry
18-04-10, 21:16
Sarah and Herbert Boorer are still together in 1911 but I can't face trying to work out if there's anyone else with them. Alice doesn't seem to be there (or anywhere!) though she married in 1919 so must be somewhere.

Merry
18-04-10, 21:23
I think Herbert (E) Boorer added ten years to his age between 1891 when he was married to Hannah and 1901 when he was (not) married to Sarah A Macavoy.

His first wife did die:

Deaths Dec 1892
Boorer Hannah Elizabeth M 28 St. Olave 1d 163

Merry
18-04-10, 21:38
In case you wondered if these two entries relate to the same registration:

Births Dec 1889

Davey William John St. Giles 1b 612
Filer Alice Maud St. Giles 1b 612
Gee Annie Elizabeth St. Giles 1b 612
Jarratt Emily St. Giles 1b 612 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Macavoy Emily St. Giles 1b 612 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Reeves Maud Gertrude St. Giles 1b 612
Ricketts Walter George A St. Giles 1b 612
Rigby Stephen St. Giles 1b 612
Thomas Dorothy Olive St. Giles 1b 612

they don't, as the Jarratt one is for the dau of Alfred and Mary Ann who was b 14th Nov 1889 (LMA baps).

samesizedfeet
18-04-10, 21:45
The Boorers are alone in 1911

THey're at 4 Leybourne Street, Pancxras and he is now a Bee Hive Maker

samesizedfeet
18-04-10, 21:52
Sorry - I've just understoof that Sarah Ann Boorer could be Sarah Ann Macavoy so rest of 1911 is:

Married 20 years, no children = 6, all still alive

his birthplace - Godstone
her birthplace - St Pancras

kiterunner
18-04-10, 21:58
Oh wow, that's great, thanks, both of you. Might take me a while to work through all that!

kiterunner
18-04-10, 22:01
there are quite a few baps with these parents, but the last one is in 1883.

Did you notice the name of the 1883 one? Herbert Ernest! When I saw that, I assumed he was named after Herbert Ernest Boorer and that therefore Herbert Ernest Boorer was an old family friend or maybe a relative of Charles or Sarah, and so wasn't going to be any help. :rolleyes:

Merry
18-04-10, 22:02
Six children is interesting if they are all still alive. Unless I've miscounted, Sarah Ann had 11 children with Charles Macavoy plus Emily. The apparent 20 year marriage is probably just how long Herbert and sarah Ann had been together to the nearest ten years!

Whilst counting those baps I noticed that Sarah's son Charles had three children with Harriet Jane, not just Alice Louisa, despite only having been married a year or so. So I wonder where the others were in 1901? There was:

Charles Robert bap 1893
Ernest 1895

both at Old Church St Pancras.

Merry
18-04-10, 22:04
Did you notice the name of the 1883 one? Herbert Ernest! When I saw that, I assumed he was named after Herbert Ernest Boorer and that therefore Herbert Ernest Boorer was an old family friend or maybe a relative of Charles or Sarah, and so wasn't going to be any help. :rolleyes:

Oooh, no I didn't notice that!! *shocked emoticon* :d

Merry
18-04-10, 22:10
Whilst counting those baps I noticed that Sarah's son Charles had three children with Harriet Jane, not just Alice Louisa, despite only having been married a year or so. So I wonder where the others were in 1901? There was:

Charles Robert bap 1893
Ernest 1895

both at Old Church St Pancras.

Charles Robert died in 1895
Ernest seems to be in a home in Herne Bay, Kent.

Merry
18-04-10, 22:14
Oooh, no I didn't notice that!! *shocked emoticon* :d

Herbert Ernest Macavoy died in his birth year, so Sarah Ann did lose at least one child (re saying she had six, all alive in 1911). Maybe she had 11/12 children and only 6 survived by 1911 but the Q confused her?

kiterunner
18-04-10, 22:18
Yes, Merry, I did wonder if the two Emily births were for the same person, so thanks for clearing that one up.

Married 20 years, 6 children all living! Sarah Ann is 5 on the 1851 census, so by the time 1911 came around she was 65, so she would have had to have 6 children after the age of 45, none of whom are on the censuses with them. Hmmm. Apart from there being no marriage listed.

But altogether, Sarah had at least 12 children, and Charles appears to have been the father of the first 11. Shame about George being such a mystery, though. I did try making a list of all the Georges born Bury St Edmunds around the right time from the 1881 census, then ticking off all the ones I found in 1891, but there were too many I couldn't find for that idea to be any use. And now we know Emily Jarrett isn't Emily Macavoy, it's not very likely that her real father's name will be on the birth certificate, is it?

Thanks again for your help, both of you.

kiterunner
18-04-10, 22:21
Wow, you posted a lot of posts while I was typing that! Of Charles and Sarah Ann's children, I've found deaths for Emma, Sarah Ann jr, Harry and Herbert Ernest so far, and I assume the first Charles Henry must have died before the second one was baptised, so it is quite possible that only 6 of her children had survived. I was going to say maybe Herbert Ernest Boorer filled in the form and didn't know about the children who had died, but if one was named after him, that's unlikely!

samesizedfeet
18-04-10, 22:29
Herbert Ernest Boorer is in the 1891 married to Hannah E Boorer

They have two children Annie E born c1888 and Daisy N aged 2 months.

This matches with a marriage for him to Hannah Elizabeth Mary Fletcher in 1888, with a corresponding death in 1892.

Baptisms for Annie Eliza Sophia Boorer in 1889 at St George Bloomsbury and Daisy Nancy Boorer in 1891 St George the Martyr.

Both girls are listed as orphans in 1901 census at a home in Hackney.

That's where I lose them - can't see them in 1911 and there's no obvious marriages or deaths.

kiterunner
18-04-10, 22:36
Oh well, I don't think I need to worry too much about tracing them anyway, but thanks for trying. It's a shame that Herbert and Sarah didn't have them with them in 1901, isn't it?

samesizedfeet
18-04-10, 22:41
I was hoping if I found them they'd have bonded with their step-sister/half-sister and would all be living together having given their occupations as "daughter of......"

Can Herbert be written off as Emily's father as he and first wife Hannah appear to be conducting a normal marriage until her death in 1891 (as far as we know)?

kiterunner
18-04-10, 22:48
I would think so, plus there's that George from Bury St Edmunds who is number 1 suspect. If only we knew his real name!

Merry
19-04-10, 07:44
*puts up 'wanted' posters*