PDA

View Full Version : Too mean to get the cert!

Merry
16-04-10, 14:54
Research for a friend so nothing to add to BK6

Louisa Moran was registered for birth in Q3 1851 in Marylebone district.

She says she was b in Marylebone in later censuses.

Louisa married Edward Varney in Feb 1871 at St Mary Newington and the marriage cert is on the LMA records. She says her father was John Moran, an upholsterer. She also admits to being a minor, so, in theory someone gave their consent to the marriage.

I'm not convinced about the John Moran bit - I can't find anyone to fit just before Louisa's birth in 1851 and in 1861 she is an inmate at St Marylebone Parochial School.

Can anyone work out if her father is really out there somewhere? I'm also disappointed I can't find a baptism for her.

Phoenix
16-04-10, 15:25
What workhouse records are available online? If, as I think you might be suggesting, she was illegitimate:eek: she might be a pauper in the workhouse at some stage, before being shipped off to the school.

Merry
16-04-10, 15:40
Oooh, I don't know, Phoenix!

Merry
16-04-10, 15:42
If the state took her in, would they have to be sure she was baptised, or have her done if they were not certain?

Nell
16-04-10, 16:31
I would think so, but on the other hand she might have been baptised in a church whose records aren't online.

I'm intrigued that she put her father's occupation down as "upholsterer" as that's quite specific, not like saying "labourer" or such.

Nell
16-04-10, 16:38
I take it you've dismissed this lot because John is a printer-compositor

HO107; Piece: 1490; Folio: 359; Page: 76

kiterunner
16-04-10, 16:49
Who were the witnesses at her wedding?

kiterunner
16-04-10, 16:51
Sorry, just remembered it's on ancestry. So, the witnesses were W P(?) Williams and James Lee, both of whom were also witnesses at the previous marriage. Probably no help there, then!

Nell
16-04-10, 17:04
If you don't want to fork out for the cert (and I can understand that!) I think you'll have to wait for the relevant parochial records to appear online.

Have you looked to find a female Moran old enough to be Louisa's Mum who died at a likely time/place?

Merry
16-04-10, 18:38
I thought I was on to something when I found a family in 1851 indexed as Morat. Unfortunately the dad, John, has the occ of 'porter at piano forte works' and having looked for other evidence of his occ (such as LMA marriages for some of his children) he only gets granded-up to piano forte maker! lol

I agree Nell - upholsterer does seem specific. Maybe his name was John Something-else and her mum was the Moran?

I have faffed about with the 1851 until I'm blue in the face. The printers compositor's family were still intact in 1861, so I'm thinking she didn't belong to them as it's unlikely she would have been in that school. Also it's another very specific occupation.

Maybe you're right and a baptism will surface eventually? Why couldn't she have been born before April :(