PDA

View Full Version : Excise Officer ?

garstonite
16-04-10, 07:08
good morning ...on a Parish record a father is given as an Excise Officer..the marriage is in Liverpool so I automatically assumed he was a customs officer...it now has arisen his daughter who got married went to Lyonshall,Herefordshire to have a child and I can only think she went "home"...Would an Excise Officer have a job in a Village and if so what would he do ???..........allan

Merry
16-04-10, 07:15
I have a lot of people associated with customs on my tree and every one of them was living and working in a port or coastal town.

Why would you think the daughter went 'home'? Many of mine who had an illegitimate child seem to have delived it a few miles (if not more) from their family and then returned to the fold afterwards. Maybe they had relatives living in Herefordshire who she went to?

garstonite
16-04-10, 08:18
Thanks Merry again ..lol...No -I was just curious why the 3rd of 5 children would be born in Lyonshall and the others Liverpool.....where I presumed her dad lived as he was an Excise Officer....maybe her mum was from there and she went to grans....just wondered if it was possible for Excise Officer to work inland ....cheers.......just a thought....Martha James gave her address as Paradise St on her marriage in 1849 to James Farley also of Paradise St on Lan-opc her dad was -
William James Excise Officer............do you think that william would be with his wife and other kids on 1851 census in Paradise St. ??? allan:)

Oakum Picker
16-04-10, 08:30
The 1851 shows James FARLEY was from Lyonshall.

garstonite
16-04-10, 08:36
thanks very much Glen.....THAT EXPLAINS IT....typical of me to think of the wrong parent....that`s funny but also embarassing...lol...OK....thanks I`ll research the Farley side now.........silly old custard that I am....:o:o:o allan
Thanks Merry and Glen I`m useless at this but I enjoy it...lol

Oakum Picker
16-04-10, 08:52
I've had a look for Martha & William in 1841 but couldn't find them. What were the names of the wife & other children?