PDA

View Full Version : Need any wills? 15 Apr 2010

Jill
14-04-10, 18:40
I'll be in London tomorrow if anyone needs any wills looking up (1858 onwards), I'm leaving at about 9.30 so put your thinking caps on :)

BlueSavannah
14-04-10, 20:31
Hi Jill

Such a kind offer :)

I would dearly like to know if my great x 2 grandad left a will. He is Walter King and he died on the 4th May 1923 aged 73 at Fearnehough Street in Sheffield. His wife was Elizabeth but I am not sure if she was alive or not when Walter died. His son, Ernest King, registered the death.

Not sure if 1923 is too recent to be checked. Have I given enough information?

Many thanks in advance.

peppie
14-04-10, 21:22
Merry might if she sees this I've not managed to get back there yet!

Jill
15-04-10, 06:16
Not sure if 1923 is too recent to be checked. Have I given enough information?

That's plenty Claire, you're 2nd on the list - after Merry! Will pm you either way this evening.

Jill

BlueSavannah
15-04-10, 07:20
That is very kind of you Jill. Enjoy your day :)

Margaret in Burton
15-04-10, 07:45
Not sure how recent you can get, but not sure if my MIL left a will.

She died December 1993. Kathleen Anne (Annie) Harrison born 1926 and lived in Burton on Trent.

edit: forgot to say thank you. *slaps self on wrist*

Jill
15-04-10, 07:50
The recent ones are on the computers Margaret, I'll just have to boot off the Heir Hunters agents!

Margaret in Burton
15-04-10, 07:50
Thanks Jill

I have a feeling she didn't leave a will but not sure.

Jill
15-04-10, 08:31
Just off to the station, see you later :)

Jill
15-04-10, 16:07
PMs sent to those of you who asked for lookups.

AND...

They've only gone and moved the search room to the 7th floor (used to be ground floor) & done away with lockers (had to wear/hump about my coat) and the search room's half the size so it's and endless turn of excuse me's and trying to squeeze round other people.

The view over London is spectacular, but I wasn't there for that.

Margaret in Burton
15-04-10, 16:27
Thank you Jill, have pm'd you back.

I hope there was a lift. :eek::eek:

ElizabethHerts
15-04-10, 17:40
PMs sent to those of you who asked for lookups.

AND...

They've only gone and moved the search room to the 7th floor (used to be ground floor) & done away with lockers (had to wear/hump about my coat) and the search room's half the size so it's and endless turn of excuse me's and trying to squeeze round other people.

The view over London is spectacular, but I wasn't there for that.

UGH!! I love going to the search room there! Do you still have to do the whole security thing? I usually have fun with the security guards who end up confiscating certain things! :o They don't like you taking stuff in so what happens now? Do they still have the areas above the volumes for resting the books on? Is the tall man still there - who dispenses the certificates. He always looks at me with a slightly disdainful air of boredom!

Jill
15-04-10, 17:53
They now hav two Xray machines Elizabeth, and if you have a knife they will keep it and you have to apply by post to get it back, if they think you have a legitimate reason for having one they post it, if not the police get it. I have a tiny penknife on my keyring but because they took it from me and held it in the safe until I reclaimed it on leaving last time nd it wasa bit of a hassle, luckily I left it at home today.

The bored clerk is still there (I think he's a like a throwback to Victorian times, can just see him in a wing collar scratching away with a dip pen) and the sloping tops over the shelves are still there though very close together.

There are 4 lifts Margaret! I even had an unexpected trip to the basement on my way to lunch as a staff member had called it.

peppie
15-04-10, 18:55
That man looks evil! I'm terrified of talking to him :eek:and I'm not afraid of anyone! :D

Jill
15-04-10, 19:18
The gossip among some of the other researchers was that they don't need such a big search room as records will be online soon, I'm not holding my breath though, could well be ages.

peppie
15-04-10, 19:25
I don't know Jill when I spoke to them at WDYTYA they really seemed to think it would be soon!

Ohh about them taking cameras off you, they take mine but never bother to confiscate my iphone which also has a camera which always makes me laugh! :D:rolleyes: