PDA

View Full Version : Albert Bounton

Phoenix
13-04-10, 10:22
Albert Bounton is such a nice solid, English sounding name.
Albert marries Phoebe Ann Couzens (no, no cert!) 1870 in St Thomas Portsmouth, Hants.

Censuses declare he was born 1847 in Portsmouth.

He has a large family, all born Portsmouth, Alverstoke, IoW before he dies on the Isle of Wight in 1889, aged 47.

I have the family 1871 onwards (a blot led to the name showing as Bouriton in 1881) but nothing before then.

Was he really Albert? Was Bounton a mangling of another name? By 1900, the only Bountons in the country appear to be his descendants.

Bright ideas welcome!

kiterunner
13-04-10, 10:39
I'm not sure that it is a blot on the 1881 census, because if so then there is the same blot on the second page too. Isn't it a shame the marriage record on FamilySearch doesn't give his father's name? I would think to be a Master Butcher at the age of 24, his family must have had some money, so hopefully we can find them somewhere.

kiterunner
13-04-10, 10:42
Nearest I can see on the 1861 is an Albert Hounsom age 15 born Portsmouth visiting a family called Freeland in Waldron, Sussex. But the first letter of his surname does look like an H on the image, so likely not him.

kiterunner
13-04-10, 10:49
There is an Albert Boulton on the 1851 census with parents Joseph and Mary, Joseph being a Dairyman, but that Albert is ten years older than your one.

kiterunner
13-04-10, 11:06
Not that it will help at all, but it gave me a good laugh:

Isle of Wight Observer, Sat July 8 1876, Ryde Petty Sessions
Adding Insult to Injury - An Abusive Butcher
Albert Bounton, butcher, of Warwick-street, was summoned for using insulting language to Mary Sivell, wife of Henry Sivell.
The complainant deposed that last Saturday week, between 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock in the evening, she was passing Jones' (late Isaacs') shop in the High-street. Defendant was taking down some meat, and in doing so let a hook or piece of iron fall on her arm. She said, "Oh dear, you have hurt my arm; I believe you have broken it." Instead of apologising, he said, "Take a carrot", and told her to go on.
The Mayor. - Did he call you any other names?
Witness. - No, sir.
The Mayor (without speaking to his brother magistrates). - Case dismissed.
General Jeffreys. - You don't ask the others their opinion!

Phoenix
13-04-10, 11:20
Ooh, I like it, Kite!

The family is mentioned several times in the Portsmouth Telegraph (?) but I think that IoW newspaper must be new.

I feel sorry for Albert's widow. She obviously found life hard. One son was caught stealing bottles, while another had a toe severed by glass while wandering the streets barefoot. (Though he did go on to take part in the 1924 Olympics - not for running, but shooting!)

garstonite
14-04-10, 08:17
Bounton - UK - is mentioned 3 times on the Library records on Geneanet.org....I know this is a predominately French site but the same person has Bounton and Le Bounton as well.......could the name have been Le Bounton earlier on in records ?
might be worth a look......allan