PDA

View Full Version : Similar to Nell's 2 baptisms .......

Terri
12-04-10, 18:44
but this appears to be 3 registrations! This involves a double-barrelled name, but the person is still very much alive so I will make up a name ..........

Jane Whatnot-Wilmot reg Oct 2000
Jane Wilmot reg Oct 2000 (same entry number)
Jane W. Wilmot reg 1998 (when she was born)

As this girl has a very unusual (absolutely unique) set of names, I know that all of these regs are her. Her parents weren't married when she was born, but she was christened Jane Whatnot-Wilmot (both her parents' surnames).

Are double-barrelled names usually treated like this?

Edit: must be - her brothers are reg in single surnames and double-barrelled names also

peppie
12-04-10, 18:50
Did the parents marry after she was born? a such that is likely to be the second reg in 2000 .

as for the first reg I know I wasn't' married when my kids were born so they each have two registrations, one in their fathers name and one in mine :D

We were n0rty and didn't re register them after we got married :D:eek:

kiterunner
12-04-10, 18:55
The two entries for Oct 2000 with the same entry number are just two index entries for the same registration, not two separate registrations. Yes, it looks likely that her birth was reregistered after her parents' marriage.

Terri
12-04-10, 18:56
What I don't get is, if she was christened Jane Whatnot-Wilmot, and reg in 1998 as Jane W. Wilmot, why re-register her after her parents married? The name was the same after all, and it's not as if her father isn't named on the original birth certificate, because he is. Is this usual?

peppie
12-04-10, 19:00
Because when you go and register a baby and you are not married they shove a form at you and tell you that you have to re register them after you get married. More than likely to make them properly legitimate even more likely to keep the statisticians happy

We never bothered and I still have the forms somewhere and no one has come chasing me

http://www.groni.gov.uk/gro_15_re-registration-2.pdf

see if you find your way here

Terri
12-04-10, 19:05
Ah!! Nothing exciting then, just all down to red tape.

Think this family are my only double-barrelled name, so I've not seen 2 entries like that before. Strange system!:confused:

Olde Crone
12-04-10, 19:08
An unmarried father has few rights. A married father has lots of rights (and responsibilities). The government want to know which kind of father you have, lol.

OC

Langley Vale Sue
12-04-10, 20:21
My middle grandaughter was registered with her mother's maiden surname, although her mother technically still had the surname of her first husband although they were divorced! She was also registered with my son's surname with the same registration number, dates etc. Exactly a year after my son married his daughter's mother, and almost 5 years after her birth said grandaughter has another registration with my son's name as her surname, but with a different registration number! I wonder what it would say on her Birth Certificate(s)!

I thought I'd check my youngest grandaughter as well out of curiosity. She was registered with her father's surname even though her parents weren't married to each other when she was born. There is also a registration listed with the same numbers, dates etc. giving her surname as the same as my daughter, which grandaughter never has had. Her parents married 2 years after her birth but there is no 3rd registration for her as there is for my other grandaughter.

Very curious. The fathers of both girls were present at the original registrations.

Merry
13-04-10, 20:32
I may not have read everything properly as I'm sitting in a pub 'watching' Chelsea v Bolton, but surely the re-registration will show the married status for the child's mother rather than her unmarried state?

Nell
13-04-10, 20:48
But there would be an entry in the index under her maiden name too.

Langley Vale Sue
13-04-10, 21:03
One of my grandsons has no father's name on his birth certificate. If Hell should freeze over and his Mum decided to marry grandson's natural father (which has been proved by DNA testing for CSA) am I right in thinking that he would have to be re-registered too? Is there an age limit for the child or could a birth be re-registered once the 'child' is an adult, and is it compulsory?

Nell
13-04-10, 23:37
Yes, legally you have to and there is no fee. Not sure about when the child is an adult but I guess so.

Kit
14-04-10, 01:40
I've come across a double barrelled surname recently. In my case the parents were married prior to the births of their 3 children.

The first 2 were registered X Jones and Y S Jones in the year they were born. I thought nothing of the S.

When no. 3 came along all 3 were registered or re-registered as X, Y, and Z Smith-Jones and X, Y, Z Smith Jones. No idea why. My guess is that the grandparents divorced and GF remarried. It appears Dad took MMN as a double barrelled surname in support of GM. But it was very confusing, especially as X's original birth did not come up when I first searched.

Terri
14-04-10, 13:54
It is all very bureaucratic I suppose.

I couldn't see the point with my particular family as the children's names remained exactly the same, even though (for some reason!?) they were registered in the illegitimate entry with the first part of the double-barrelled name just as an initial, with the second, married parents version, having the full surname.

And no, the first surname wasn't the father's surname, but the mother's, so they were effectively registered when illegitmate in their father's surname.

What a palaver .....!

PS What is annoying is that for all 3 kids, the original images are "not available"!

Margaret in Burton
14-04-10, 14:14
It is all very bureaucratic I suppose.

I couldn't see the point with my particular family as the children's names remained exactly the same, even though (for some reason!?) they were registered in the illegitimate entry with the first part of the double-barrelled name just as an initial, with the second, married parents version, having the full surname.

And no, the first surname wasn't the father's surname, but the mother's, so they were effectively registered when illegitmate in their father's surname.

What a palaver .....!

PS What is annoying is that for all 3 kids, the original images are "not available"!

Anything after 1984, there are no images. It is all computerised.