PDA

View Full Version : Help please to decipher a census

Val in Oz
12-04-10, 08:47
The 1881 census for a Henry Clark living in Islington, born 1864 in Bethnal Green - parents are Henry and Eliza Clark.

Could you please decipher the occupations of Henry the father and his daughter Elizabeth
The younger Henry is a warehouseman I believe it says
Many thanks

Sabrina
12-04-10, 09:18
I think Henry senior's occupation reads Manager Cab Yard.

Still thinking about daughter's occupation!

kiterunner
12-04-10, 09:45
I agree with Sabrina on both counts!

Val in Oz
12-04-10, 10:05
Thankyou for the father's occupation - that is a help to pin down exactly which Henry Clark, so far so good

Nell
12-04-10, 10:14
In 1881 it says he was born London, not Bethnal Green so took me a while to find him.

I agree with manager cab yard and warehouseman.

Eliza's occupation looks like mornal filnce but I can't imagine what its meant to be! I see Ancestry's transcription gives it as "mount gilder". Maybe she worked for a picture framer's???

Val in Oz
12-04-10, 10:32
Thankyou Nell - could be

In the 1871 census she appears to be living with her Aunt Mary Clark in Stepney and at age 13 is working - plain needle work

kiterunner
12-04-10, 10:35
Oh, of course for the 1881 census it isn't ancestry's transcription but the LDS transcription, so quite likely to have been transcribed by someone who knew what they were doing. The first letter of the second word doesn't match the capital G's in George Gray near the bottom of the page, though.