PDA

View Full Version : Who was Gertie?

Langley Vale Sue
11-04-10, 22:36
I have been speaking to a cousin once removed today (for the first time in about 13 years) and she told me a piece of gossip regarding a child/lady named Gertie. This cousin's mother, Daisy Tivers, was apparently punished at school for lying when she said that Gertie (Tivers?) was her sister. Gertie & Daisy were at school together and apparently lived with Daisy's siblings and parents and were brought up as sisters.

I have found Gertie (listed as niece) in 1911 living in Southfields, London, with Daisy's father Charles Tivers as head of household. I have found a birth on Free BMD for a Gertie Tivers in Fulham in March qtr 1898, but I cannot find her in 1901.

My cousin told me that Gertie was apparently the illegitimate daughter of "one of the sisters" - but which one, and whose sister?

I will send for Gertie's birth certificate (now why couldn't I have been told about her before the prices went up!!!) but in the meantime can anyone find her in 1901 please?

samesizedfeet
11-04-10, 22:55
Do you know what Daisy's Mothers' maiden name was?

samesizedfeet
11-04-10, 23:05
Okay, think I worked it out that she was Clara Paines from 1911 census info.

But I've been sidetracked by Gertie Tivers from Weybridge, Surrey who married Joseph Townsend in 1900.

Have you got Charles traced back so you know who his siblings are?

Langley Vale Sue
11-04-10, 23:06
Yes, she was Clara Ellen Paines.

Charles' siblings were : Nell b. 1868, Cleveland b. 1871, Gertie b. 1873, Harry b. 1876 & Florence b. 1879

Gertie b 1873 married Joseph Townsend.

samesizedfeet
11-04-10, 23:22
I can't see any obvious Gertie's on the 1901 and I've just been through all those born Hammersmith in case the age is out.

Nothing jumps out of the LMA records either.

samesizedfeet
11-04-10, 23:23
There's a whole bunch of corrected Tivers in Chertsey in the 1901 who have put their name down as Townsend. Any connection?

Not quite sure where I'm going with this other than sister Gertie getting herself in trouble and being married off to a cousin.

Langley Vale Sue
11-04-10, 23:33
Yes they are 'my' Townsend/Tivers. There are a few Tivers corrections on Ancestry done by a very distant, by marriage, connection - some are correct but many are 'iffy'!!!

Langley Vale Sue
11-04-10, 23:49
Thanks for looking Zoe. Let's hope the birth certificate gives me some answers!

Nell
12-04-10, 09:59
And please let us know when you find out!

Langley Vale Sue
12-04-10, 10:38
Will do Nell! :)

Langley Vale Sue
04-10-10, 14:42
Update on Gertie.

I now have her birth certificate and it states she was born on 22 February 1898 at Union Infirmary. Her mother is Florrie Tivers, a dressmaker, of 41 Brackenbury Road, Hammersmith. (The address is shown, unusually, along with the name and occupation in column 5, marked 'name, surname and maiden surname of mother'.) This is the address where my G G grandfather, Charles Tivers, lived so I'm assuming (:):(:)) that this is his daughter Florrie, my G Grandfather's sister. There is no father listed on the birth certificate. The informant is shown as F. Tivers, mother, and her residence is Union Infirmary, Fulham.

The place of birth was the Union Infirmary, Fulham which opened in 1884 in St Dunstans Road, Hammersmith on the north of the Fulham Workhouse site to "provide minimal medical care to the workhouse sick". There are some Union Infirmary records showing at the LMA so I may be able to find out more information.

I think that makes Gertie my 1st cousin twice removed ;)