PDA

View Full Version : family grave ownership ?

garstonite
11-04-10, 09:01
Good morning
When my mum died she was cremated and her ashes were buried with
my great grandmother-my mums nan aged 96
my aunty Dorothy died 6 months old-my mums sister
my brother Kenneth died 8 months old
my cousins 2 babies who both died at 3 month old

so...what happened back in about 1935 was that Dorothy died and her mum and dad could not afford the grave...they had 11 children...the second oldest daughter paid for the plot because she could afford it....my mum was the last to go in the grave in 1997...my aunty who paid for the plot TOTALLY REFUSED for us to have a headstone ...this upset myself and 3 brothers as our mum / brother and "little nan" were buried there......so
this aunty died last year and I was wondering how do they go on about the owner of the plot when the person who paid for it dies ...will it have been passed on to one of her daughters ???.......a strange request I know but , I haven`t a clue who to ask....allan:confused:

Guinevere
11-04-10, 09:24
I don't know the answer, Allan, but I imagine it passes to her heirs. It may be worth contacting the council to ask what the rules are.

garstonite
11-04-10, 09:51
Thanks Gwynne....the cemetery is actually about 3 miles from where I live , but I`ll have to ring up the Head Office in Liverpool City Centre........cheers hun....allan:)

Rachel
11-04-10, 11:23
This is interesting and has made me think about my paternal gt grandparents plot and who might be the rightful 'owner'.

Gt gran bought it on the death of her husband (I have the receipt) and my dad's younger brother is buried with them ~ aged abt 2 years.

My grandparents lived in the cottage with gt gran and raised their family there, so I've sort of assumed that even though granddad was the youngest child, he was the heir.
Gt gran had no money to leave as far as I know, but would she have made a Will ?

I've always been curious to know how my grandparents came to own the cottage.
Is there a way I can find out ?

The burial plot is unmarked and I like to think that the location is my secret ! ;)

Jill
11-04-10, 11:36
I've just been reading about an investigation into changing the inscription on a grave and who had the right to do it, don't know how helpful it would be in your case though

http://www.oldaldenhamian.org/Download/Aldenhamiana35.pdf

search the document for "Beck", his wife was my relation (though I'm not the relation that helped solve the problem)

JBee
11-04-10, 14:46
I'm sure I heard there is a time limit of ownership of graves after which the Council can re-use them. 75 years or 100 years after last person is buried seems to come to mind.

Olde Crone
11-04-10, 15:23
My father is buried in a municipal grave, which we only own for 25 years after his death, then it reverts to the Council, although we do have (at the moment!) the option of repurchasing for a further 25 years after that.

Another grave in our family had ownership for 100 years, which has long since run out. (Churchyard).

OC

Uncle John
11-04-10, 21:32
Graves in private cemeteries often have short tenancies. I seem to remember one of the London cemeteries causing a stir when they started recycling an area after less than 25 years.

Jackie H
11-04-10, 22:04
I was thinking about this type of situation just last week.

My mother in law bought a double grave 10 years ago on the death of her husband. She has recently died and was buried in the same plot. My husband, as executor, had to sign a form at the funeral directors to take over responsibility for the grave, so that it could be opened.

He has just had a letter from the council who own the cemetery asking for an administration fee so that ownership of the grave can be transferred into his name (it costs double because we live in a different council area!)

This got me thinking about other family graves and who now owns them. I should imagine that in many cases, the owner has died and no one else has taken over.

garstonite
12-04-10, 06:27
I've just been reading about an investigation into changing the inscription on a grave and who had the right to do it, don't know how helpful it would be in your case though

http://www.oldaldenhamian.org/Download/Aldenhamiana35.pdf

search the document for "Beck", his wife was my relation (though I'm not the relation that helped solve the problem)

Thanks very much Jill.....I am going to ring the council today...will have a look at this site you`ve given me now....cheers...allan:)