PDA

View Full Version : Death Certificate Query

Sabrina
10-04-10, 19:16
One of my death certificates arrived today and it would appear that my great-grandfather died of nepliritis bronchitis aged just 30. Can anyone decipher the note in the margin for me please?

http://imgur.com/Pqiz1.jpg

JessBow
10-04-10, 19:38
it looks ilke it say ''nineteen''

I assume you mean margin far right- it referer to the crossing out in the far left margin.

Nell
10-04-10, 19:52
As Jess says its "nineteen" and refers to the crossing out marked 19 in the left hand column. Registrars had to number their corrections so it means this chap had made 18 previous mistakes.

Mary from Italy
10-04-10, 20:03
It looks as though there are two causes of death; nephritis and bronchitis. Nephritis is kidney disease.

Uncle John
10-04-10, 20:38
A blacksmith would drink a lot of fluids (presumably alcoholic??) because of the heat, which could have led to the nephritis. And inhaling all the fumes from his forge wouldn't do his lungs much good.

Sabrina
10-04-10, 21:32
Thanks Jess and Nell - didn't think of that at all - it's so obvious now!

Mary - I have been Googling the cause of death and had just begun to realise that they were two different things and not one and the same! :o There seems to have been something called Bright's Disease which, it seems, was a kidney disease which could affect breathing, so that sounds likely, do you think?

Uncle John - I have always imagined a blacksmith to be as tough as old boots, but I suppose they didn't have the best of working environments did they? His father seemed to have had an alcohol problem, so perhaps like father, like son!

Nell
10-04-10, 22:40
Nephritis is inflammation of the kidneys but isn't so much a disease as a symptom - it can be caused by many other things.