PDA

View Full Version : Adams Edwards & Mabel Marshall

Phoenix
09-04-10, 18:17
Adams Edwards b 1867 Hartland Devon married Mabel Lockyer in Canada in 1929. She had just stepped off the boat, bearing in tow young xxx Lockyer aged 4.

The family said Adams married his niece:eek:

In fact, we think he married his nephew's widow.

Adams' sister Susan Elizabeth Adams Edwards married William Lockyer.

In 1911, she is in Bradford. 5 children of the marriage, one dead (Arthur 1883 - 1902)

Her two surviving sons were William C who married Mary Elizabeth Bruorton just before the 1911 census and

Ernest Adams E Lockyer, who dies in 1926.

Clearly, Mabel must have married Ernest. The Canadian certificate gives her maiden surname as Marshall, so she should be easy to find.:d

All I can find is the birth of xxx Marshall Sept 1924 in Barnsley RD. Do you reckon Mabel didn't marry first time round?

Is there any way, short of paying £9.25 for Ernest's death cert, I can find out?

kiterunner
09-04-10, 19:09
Ernest Adams Edwards Lockyer is listed in Canadian Soldiers of the First World War on ancestry, attested January 3rd 1916, birthplace Barnstaple, Devonshire, England, DOB 24 March 1896, next of kin mother Susan Lockyer, and he says he is not married on the form. So if he married Mabel, either she went to Canada before 1929 to marry him or he came back to England to marry her.

kiterunner
09-04-10, 19:14
Oh, I see, he must have come back to England because he died here, sorry, didn't realise. I wonder if we can find out when he returned? He was in the Canadian Overseas force so he may have been sent to England during the First World War.

Phoenix
09-04-10, 19:15
Ooh, well done, Kite! Everyone else went to Canada, I was just fooled by Ernest dying in Bradford. That would make rather more sense. The second marriage was so close to her stepping off the boat. I wouldn't fancy travelling across the world to marry someone I didn't know.

kiterunner
09-04-10, 19:16
Aha! Ernest E Lockyer is on the ancestry UK Incoming Passenger Lists March 1925 arriving at Liverpool from Canada with wife Mabel and 2 yr old son.

Phoenix
09-04-10, 19:18
Double ooh!

1911 is fully indexed now, and Ernest is living with Adams in 1911!

Phoenix
09-04-10, 19:20
The wierd thing is that when Mabel finally ups sticks, she has an address just round the corner from where I live ie counties away from Bradford.

kiterunner
09-04-10, 19:21
Also on the passenger list where Mabel and son go back to Canada in 1929, it gives the son's place of birth as Ottawa, Canada. Mabel was born in York, England, and she is listed as "niece", I think it means of the person she is going to visit, Mr Adam Edwards.

Phoenix
09-04-10, 19:23
That is brilliant, Kite. The family never thought much of poor Mabel - she came back to England after WW2 and everyone said get stuffed. At least she now looks a leetle more respectable!

Phoenix
09-04-10, 19:27
You must be looking at a different set of passenger lists. fmp doesn't give all that detail. Thank you so much:)