PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question ...

lozaras
09-04-10, 15:28
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is the difference between a christening and a baptism?

On FTM I enter the fact as christening but notice that it's often referred to as baptism.
I was 'christened' in a 'Christening robe'.

What's the difference between the two terms please?

Phoenix
09-04-10, 15:52
As a layman, I regard christening as the ceremony that usually accompanies the baptism. Like weddings and funerals. I once found a reference in a C19th novel which regarded the two as very different. A baptism could be private, in a house, away from the glare of publicity, while the christening required the robe & all the rest of the paraphernalia. But I've argued the toss with a clergyman who told me in no uncertain terms that there was no difference.

Guinevere
09-04-10, 15:58
This may help - or confuse you further

http://hubpages.com/hub/Are-there-Differences-Between-Christenings-and-Baptisms

anne fraser
09-04-10, 17:16
I think the IGI use baptism for every thing but I think strictly speeking a christening happens in a church of England usually to babies at a font. Baptist churches have something that resembles a large paddling pool and adults often walk into it. Baptisms in chapels can take place much later though the records will usually indicate adult baptisms.

lozaras
09-04-10, 17:38
Thanks Phoenix, Gwynne & Anne :)

I'll go with them meaning essentially the same thing then ;) and won't change my FTM file to fit. - phew!

Phoenix
09-04-10, 17:56
Be careful with a Gedcom, Sarah. Baptisms are recognised in Gedcoms, Christenings sometimes aren't. I've used some programs that have taken the events as a christening, then if I export into another program I've lost the details.

lozaras
10-04-10, 07:00
Thanks for that Phoenix - I'll check that the fact transfers - or I'll change the fact title.