PDA

View Full Version : Help with marriage c1783

samesizedfeet
09-04-10, 12:06
I have Robert Benson and Susannah Satchell as having married in 1783 - but I've failed to put any info down about how I got the date.

If I'm not 100% certain e.g. it's a guess based on first child's birth, then I record the date as circa. As I've not done it in this case I'm assuming I had some pretty accurate information.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out where I got the information from so if anyone has some spare time to sort me out I'd be very grateful.

I've looked on ancestry and IGI but can't see it.

Children are:
Catherine Maria Benson bp 13 Jun 1784 at St Michael Cornhill. then baptised again in 1786 at St Paul Hammersmith

Peter Robert Benson baptised 6 March 1795 St Cuthberts Edinburgh

They were actors so they could be anywhere in the country.

Susannah's father is John Satchell a musical instrument maker and Robert's is Thomas Benson a coffee house keeper

tyia

Zoe

samesizedfeet
09-04-10, 12:11
okay - I googled and found my own thread on this very subject saying I'd found it on google books.

It's a little strange finding the answer to my own question from myself :(

Nell
09-04-10, 16:23
Zoe

That's the wonder of the world wide web!

marquette
10-04-10, 03:55
I did exactly the same - wrote done a marriage date and could not remember where I got it from - when I googled the names again I found it in a book listed in "google books" !! There are some odd and interesting things in some of those old books.

So now I have a note in the marriage info about where exactly it came from, so in another 12 months I won't have to wrack my brains again. I have started putting lots of notes about info I have found - I cannot carry it all around in my head any longer !!!

Di

Mary from Italy
10-04-10, 11:40
I've got loads of marriage and death dates from Google books and the Gale site; always worth a search on both.

Uncle John
10-04-10, 20:40
I found a book extract that referred to my great-grandfather and his wife having their portrait painted by a fairly well-known artist of the day. Goodness knows where it ended up.

Nell
10-04-10, 20:47
Frustrating UJ! I felt the same when I saw my gt x 3 uncle's personal effects were collected from Broadmoor after his death by "Mrs Ellen Mealing". I don't know who she was but the items included "letters and photos" which I'd really love to have seen! I expect they ended up thrown away.

Perhaps the portrait will turn up?

ElizabethHerts
10-04-10, 20:58
Things do turn up occasionally, but how you would find out I don't know.

:)I have a distant cousin who bought an original Ackworth tapestry (a tapestry made by a girl at Ackworth, the Quaker boarding school in Yorkshire) in the 1980s. The maker was Rebecca Jeffcoat and the date was 1800. We are both descended from her brother Daniel Jeffcoat. Luckily he was alerted (I don't know how) that the tapestry was coming up for sale.

It hangs on his wall in his lounge.

The pattern was transferred onto a cross-stitch chart and my daughter made me a replica for Christmas 2008.