PDA

View Full Version : National archives - Kew

Shazza34
08-04-10, 14:40
Trying to plan my first trip to Kew in the next few months. Anyone got any hints or tips for an easy day before I go.
Thanks in advance.

Phoenix
08-04-10, 15:00
have a look at the website
make a list of what you want to do - what you must do, & what to do if you have time left over
read the Research Guides & other background material, so you know what you hope to find
on the day travel light. Make sure you have proofs of identity, camera, money for photocopying. Either have your notes on a laptop, or in a paper notebook - don't take sheaves of paper & don't take original documents in case you lose them
order the dox you want asap as you can only order 3 at a time, and none in advance on a first visit
enjoy the coffee & the bookshop!

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
08-04-10, 18:53
oh you just reminded me to order for Saturday and change my camera, if I can find the charge.

Nell
08-04-10, 22:07
Pre-register online and order documents in advance so they'll be ready to view when you get there. Once you've arrived you can order another 3 and so on.

Take a little time to find your way around, if there's waiting time between viewing documents, wander through the library on the 1st floor or look on 1911 census online for free.

You might want to see if they are doing an orientation tour that day or if there are any talks of interest.

And have a look at the bookshop on the ground floor.

Shazza34
09-04-10, 13:47
Thanks for your help and advice.
I have got the references of documents that might answer my questions.
Now just need to sort out a day when I can go.

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
09-04-10, 20:41
And when you have a date in mind, post it on the events board and hopefully you will get some friendly regulars from this site coming along to help you out. There are a few of us around who go quite regularly.

Shazza34
19-04-10, 15:52
Went to Kew on Saturday. Managed to find some of what I was looking for now need to do more research should be easier next time now I have my readers card.
Thanks for your help.