PDA

View Full Version : Help to sort this one out!

KiwiChris
08-04-10, 07:24
I have been researching the Rev William French Clay who was b Birmingham 1821.
He married 4 times all within a fairly short time frame! I have sorted out all of the wives names except number 3 who he married Dec q 1861 in Westminster. The bride was either Elizabeth Marie Louise Meyer or Mary Ann Dawson. Unfortunately which ever one it was, she died before 1868 when he married wife number 4. The other groom was Charles Gay.
Can anyone work out which is the right wife?

I can only find Wm French Clay in 1851 when he was a student in Cambridge, he got around a bit, working as a Dr in India, was a chaplain in Paris and went to Australia in 1870 with wife 4 and a bunch of children.

I think there was one child of the 3rd marriage, William Rudolph, but I have yet to find a date of birth for him.

When I look at the 1861 census there are a couple of possible Elizabeth Meyer, the one I fancy was German and a governess for another clergy family. I wonder if Rudolph could be a German name. I have not attempted to identify a possible Mary Ann Dawson, there are too many possibles!

I only have the deaths of wife 2, Harriet who died 1860 Paris, and wife 4 Isabella, died Greenwich Sept 1924.
Wife 1 was Maria who died after 1856 and before 1857, but probably in India, there was a daughter b 1856 India.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Jackie H
08-04-10, 08:12
The Family Search pilot site has a baptism in St Luke, Southampton of Augusta Matilda Clay, parents William French Clay and Elizabeth Marie Louise.

KiwiChris
08-04-10, 08:17
Woohoo! Thanks, I am off to look!!!!!!

Olde Crone
08-04-10, 09:08
Yes, I would say Rudolph is a German name.

OC

maggie_4_7
08-04-10, 09:54
I think Augusta is a name used by people of German origin I have a couple of women named Augusta in my offshoot families that have German heritage as far as I can see or make out at the moment.