PDA

View Full Version : strange census detail ? any thoughts

garstonite
07-04-10, 07:50
good morning...on www.familysearch.org
1881 census
Alfred Scarlet head aged 34 labourer born Coventry,Nottingham,England
Mary Scarlet wife aged 31 born Coventry ,Nottingham,England
plus 2 children..I can only find one marriage for Alfred Scarlett to a Mary ???prior to 1881 and that is in 1873 in Greenwich...Alfred Edward Scarlett ?
NO marriages at all for Scarlet...as spelt in census

is or was there a district of Nottingham named Coventry ?

calculating that Alfred was born around 1846 , there is only one Alfred Scarlett possible who is registered in Pershore in 1843 ??....this is Herefords / Worcs border but Pershore is 40 miles from Coventry...so help please
a) is there a Coventry region of Nottingham ?
b) is Pershore birth a possibility
any thoughts please ???.....allan:)

Margaret in Burton
07-04-10, 08:14
good morning...on www.familysearch.org
1881 census
Alfred Scarlet head aged 34 labourer born Coventry,Nottingham,England
Mary Scarlet wife aged 31 born Coventry ,Nottingham,England
plus 2 children..I can only find one marriage for Alfred Scarlett to a Mary ???prior to 1881 and that is in 1873 in Greenwich...Alfred Edward Scarlett ?
NO marriages at all for Scarlet...as spelt in census

is or was there a district of Nottingham named Coventry ?

calculating that Alfred was born around 1846 , there is only one Alfred Scarlett possible who is registered in Pershore in 1843 ??....this is Herefords / Worcs border but Pershore is 40 miles from Coventry...so help please
a) is there a Coventry region of Nottingham ?
b) is Pershore birth a possibility
any thoughts please ???.....allan:)

Ermmmmm, no. Opposite direction. Coventry is south of Birmingham, Nottingham is north.

I'll try to find them on Ancestry, back in a while.

Margaret in Burton
07-04-10, 08:17
It does say that on the image as well, very odd. Enumerator gone mad I reckon.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=ERYRG11_4763_4768-1177&fn=Mary&ln=Scarlet&st=d&ssrc=&pid=26152355

Have you found them in 1891?

Margaret in Burton
07-04-10, 08:20

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=ERYRG12_3931_3933-0403&fn=Mary&ln=Scarlett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=17763315

He is from Coventry.
She is from????????? It's transcribed as Yousull. No idea.

Merry
07-04-10, 08:22
I was thinking this might be one of those families who sometimes use one name in real life and a different one for registrations etc. Sould have been reasoably easy to determine, since they have a son named Robin b Hull about 1884. However, there don't seem to be any children registered as Robin in Hull around that date! If you use the surname Scarlet* their other registrations of children seem pretty hit and miss too.

If that is Alfred's death in Q1 1901 in Hull district aged 68 then he has aged a lot from 1881 and 1891. I can't find anything on him before 1881, but it could be difficult to know if you were looking at the same person or not.

Margaret in Burton
07-04-10, 08:24
Can't see either on them in 1901. Some of the children do seem to be scattered. Perhaps they are both dead.

Merry
07-04-10, 08:27
Forget that 1901 death for a minute as Mary says she is still married in 1901 though what is she doing in Lincs? She says Cov again for birth. My battery in laptop will run out v soon (thank goodness!!! lol)

Merry
07-04-10, 08:31
Marg, I think Mary is alone in Lincoln (I mean with no other Scarletts) in 1911, please could you check her marital status? (she is b Cov)

Merry
07-04-10, 08:34
Can't see a death for Alfred (there's alfred E, but that's a different one, I think) on FreeBMD, but don't have time to look on Ancestry.

Allan, are these people important?!! lol

Margaret in Burton
07-04-10, 08:54
Marg, I think Mary is alone in Lincoln (I mean with no other Scarletts) in 1911, please could you check her marital status? (she is b Cov)

She's a widow, living alone.

kiterunner
07-04-10, 16:02
I expect that in 1881 the enumerator asked Alfred where he was born and he said Coventry, and the enumerator added the county name and got it wrong.

kiterunner
07-04-10, 16:07
I was thinking this might be one of those families who sometimes use one name in real life and a different one for registrations etc. Sould have been reasoably easy to determine, since they have a son named Robin b Hull about 1884. However, there don't seem to be any children registered as Robin in Hull around that date! If you use the surname Scarlet* their other registrations of children seem pretty hit and miss too.

In 1891 the census lists them as being in Sculcoates, and there is a birth registration for Thomas Frederick Scarlett Mar 1888 in Sculcoates district. There are two possible Robins born in Sculcoates: Robin Dunn Jun 1885 and Robin Kruszhek Sep 1885.

Merry
07-04-10, 17:03
In 1891 the census lists them as being in Sculcoates, and there is a birth registration for Thomas Frederick Scarlett Mar 1888 in Sculcoates district. There are two possible Robins born in Sculcoates: Robin Dunn Jun 1885 and Robin Kruszhek Sep 1885.

Robin Dunn is a different person as he is with his parents in 1891 onward, but I couldn't do anything with the other birth. can anly assume it was a birth in the port on some passing ship, maybe. From memory I only found birth regs for about half their (Scarlet*) children, but I didn't look very hard as I was trying to find Robin (who vanishes completely after the 1901 census).

Phoenix
07-04-10, 18:12
If the father were illegitimate, me might be using more than one surname.

I do wonder whether Robin is a pet name (Robin Hood, wILL sCARLET, nOTTINGHAM?)

The only way this could be sorted out is via Thomas's birth certificate.

There was one other Alfred Scarlet marriage - in Ipswich. The ref is wrong - prob GRO fault. It looks as if that chap married Isabella F. bUT HE APPEARS TO have died young.

kiterunner
07-04-10, 18:57
I was trying to find Robin (who vanishes completely after the 1901 census).

Henry is a captain of a boat or ship in 1901 so it could be that Robin was a sailor too.

Olde Crone
07-04-10, 21:16
Robin=Reuben, maybe? I think Reuben would have been a more common name than Robin.

OC

Merry
07-04-10, 21:44
I've seen from rootsweb that Mary's name should be Wagstaff (from a couple of childrens birth certs), which hasn't helped at all re a marriage!

garstonite
08-04-10, 06:10
Thank you all very much...sorry I couldn`t reply but I was dragged around Widnes Market for hours and then the gang took over the puter ...as usual...

I was reading the Rootschat thread and looked on familysearch for Alfred Scarlett....and whenever I see something strange I get inquisitive..the only way of learning is by finding out how when and why something is different.....so no, it`s not important at all....I was curious to know about the census details....I personally think that they lied about their details....and the census enumerator was from the planet Zod...lol....so it can be forgotten about now...I was trying to edjumicate myself...not that easy to do I assure you:d....thank you all again......allan;)