PDA

View Full Version : help with attachment

bidston
01-04-10, 02:21
hi all, i have my grandparents marriage certificate sent to me as an attachment, how do i post it so all can look at this blooming address, cheers

borobabs
01-04-10, 03:46
Bidston save the attachment to your desktop
and if not a jpeg open with paint
and then save as jpeg but with same name with 2 after the name but before jpg,
so blah blah2.jpeg
then you can upload that, but best way to do that is by uploading with photbucket to site ;; hope that helps dear

bidston
01-04-10, 03:57
babs, that was wonderful, i wish i knew what what you are talking about, it sounds very interesting, a bit advanced for me

if i do the usual start a new thread thing, where is the bit that lets me upload

or could i send a email to someone competent, as opposed to incompetent, like myself and they can do it, thanks

borobabs
01-04-10, 04:08
Oh right I get what you mean now ,
go advanced to reply to me
right in the reply box click onto part that looks like paperclip
just on line above, down below here where you write reply and there should come up apart upload browse your computer for where it is
and then upload ;;;

bidston
01-04-10, 05:41
Hopefully I've cropped it and made it bigger.....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Bidston.jpg

Merry
01-04-10, 05:56
Well done! We are actually not allowed to post up a whole cert because of copyright restrictions, but as you've struggled so much to do it I'll leave it for a while!!

EDIT: deleted original and preplaced with cropped version.

That address says Woodstock Road doesn't it? I can't remember what else you were struggling with?

borobabs
01-04-10, 05:59
How the hell can you see that Merry ???dohhhhhhhhh yes course you can is that what problem is lol ;;well well done Bidston not that I can see it of course ;;;

Merry
01-04-10, 06:07
1911:

9 WOODSTOCK ROAD FINSBURY PARK

Alma Gardyne 36
Anne Peters 50
Alice Spiers 41
Florence Spiers 18
Edwin Uffindell 70
Alan Keith Hogg 3
Doris May Hogg 11
Edith May Hogg 31
Edna Marguirite Hogg 9
Eric Martin Hogg 2
Gladys Irene Hogg 7
Herbert Hogg 31
Joan Mary Hogg 4

The above are all the people I can find living there in 111. There are two households at that addres, but I don't have full access to the 1911 so a not sure how they are arranged and can't tell you where they were born etc. At first glance they don't look connected to your lot, but the info other than the names could possibly reveal something.

bidston
01-04-10, 06:08
me neither, scratches head

bidston
01-04-10, 06:09
i think its 89 not 9, thanks

bidston
01-04-10, 06:09
thanks for your help babs

Merry
01-04-10, 06:10
Erm.....I thought Harry was a superintendent, but it says "of independent means" on the cert!! :D

Babs, my eyes are working OK this morning because it's still sunny :), buy the rain will start as soon as the kids break up at lunchtime today :(! lol

Merry
01-04-10, 06:12
i think its 89 not 9, thanks

Oh *** I knew it was 89, but obviously the 8 didn't get typed and I didn't notice!! Will have to do that again now.....pmsl!!

borobabs
01-04-10, 06:13
Yep thats sounds about right for our weather ;;long as its rain and not all that snow some have had ;;;
Bidston glad you have got sort of sorted ;;;but photobucket account s easy enough and you can ask us about it to get knowledge up ;;

Merry
01-04-10, 06:16
It was when I copy/pasted the address from one box to the other I dropped the 8 in error!

Guess what? 89 is recorded three times on the census, but I can't find any names attached to it! Will have to wait for someone with a sub to confirm why that is.

bidston
01-04-10, 06:18
my sister read superintendent of trams instead of independent means, what does independent means mean anyway, must cancel subscription to london trams r us

maggie_4_7
01-04-10, 06:34
Well done Bidston.

It is 89 Woodstock Road as Merry seems to know too.

I have to go to work though now so perhaps someone will come along with a sub.

Independent Means = didn't have to work had money to live on without - how much money is debateable and where they got it! Perhaps a will or was left something that accrued interest or a pension or a bit of a fib.

Merry
01-04-10, 06:37
lol!!

It just means he didn't have to work for an income - 'gentleman' meant the same thing. Either are not always true or course!!

maggie_4_7
01-04-10, 06:43
Merry

Can you read Robert's rank or profession?

Merry
01-04-10, 06:44
my sister read superintendent of trams instead of independent means

I think you need copies of all the certs your sister has told you about!!! :D

maggie_4_7
01-04-10, 06:44
lol!!

It just means he didn't have to work for an income - 'gentleman' meant the same thing. Either are not always true or course!!

Yes just realised its father's profession one of my ancestors put 'Gentleman of Independent Means' for her father's profession :d he'd been dead for years and didn't have a pot to do anything in when he was alive!

:d :d

maggie_4_7
01-04-10, 06:51
1911:

9 WOODSTOCK ROAD FINSBURY PARK

Alma Gardyne 36
Anne Peters 50
Alice Spiers 41
Florence Spiers 18
Edwin Uffindell 70
Alan Keith Hogg 3
Doris May Hogg 11
Edith May Hogg 31
Edna Marguirite Hogg 9
Eric Martin Hogg 2
Gladys Irene Hogg 7
Herbert Hogg 31
Joan Mary Hogg 4

The above are all the people I can find living there in 111. There are two households at that addres, but I don't have full access to the 1911 so a not sure how they are arranged and can't tell you where they were born etc. At first glance they don't look connected to your lot, but the info other than the names could possibly reveal something.

That is 9 Woodstock Rd not 89. 89 isn't on the Enumerator's Schedule.

Merry
01-04-10, 06:53
Merry

Can you read Robert's rank or profession?

The first work is driver.....erm....

Merry
01-04-10, 06:54
That is 9 Woodstock Rd not 89. 89 isn't on the Enumerator's Schedule.

89 comes up three times under place search. If it was once I would have thought it was being built or empty, but what does three times mean?

maggie_4_7
01-04-10, 06:56
89 comes up three times under place search. If it was once I would have thought it was being built or empty, but what does three times mean?

I looked at the image for Anne Peters is says No 9 not 89! Can't find an 89!

Checked the Enumerator's schedule no 89 listed.

Margaret in Burton will be on soon perhaps she can delve a bit more and sort out a bit better I have to go running late ..

Look forward to seeing the Bidston family tree when I get home tonight. Good luck everyone... :)

Rachel
01-04-10, 07:56
I have a sub to FMP but can not find no 89 when I do the address search
The only Woodstock which comes up is in Hornsey

nos
9, 13, 17, 21, 23, 23a, 25, 33, 53, 57

Can't locate Robert ... found the marriage (FreeBMD) 1915 is his age 31 or 36 on the cert ?

OK .... looking for Mary in 1911
What's her father's name ? Squire ???

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 08:31
I looked at the image for Anne Peters is says No 9 not 89! Can't find an 89!

Checked the Enumerator's schedule no 89 listed.

Margaret in Burton will be on soon perhaps she can delve a bit more and sort out a bit better I have to go running late ..

Look forward to seeing the Bidston family tree when I get home tonight. Good luck everyone... :)

I'm here, LOLOL

I'll have a mooch but not woke up properly yet and I'm bl***y freezing.

Rachel
01-04-10, 08:37
Morning Marg
Over to you then

Seems that Hornsey is in Edmonton and includes Finsbury Park

Had a quick ziz through the images for Woodstock Rd and it goes up to no 60 (that's ED 10)

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 08:41
Morning Marg
Over to you then

Seems that Hornsey is in Edmonton and includes Finsbury Park

Had a quick ziz through the images for Woodstock Rd and it goes up to no 60

Hey Rachel don't you nip off, 2 heads better than 1 remember.

I can't find an 89 though.

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 08:47
By going through image after image I've found 89 Woodstock road.

There are more than one family there.

Back in a bit.

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 08:53
Have done screen shots of partial images for 3 families at 89 Woodstock rd. I'm not sure if one of them is an Elizabeth Girling, a widow. That may be wishful thinking. Just loading them onto Photobucket now.

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 08:59
Think it's probably Elizabeth Ayling though.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/89Woodstock-1-1.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/89Woodstock-2-1.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/margharrison/89Woodstock-3-1.jpg

Rachel
01-04-10, 09:30
There are some Jones' at no 97
from Leicester and Wales though and no Mary

kiterunner
01-04-10, 09:46
Elizabeth's surname looks like Ayling to me.

kiterunner
01-04-10, 09:50
Robert Girling's occupation is Driver ASC Mechanical Transport (Artist). ASC = Army Service Corps. Drivers were usually drivers of horses, but Robert was a driver of some new-fangled type of vehicle. Now we know he was a driver in the ASC we can have another look for a medal roll index card.

kiterunner
01-04-10, 10:00
The witnesses' names look like Florence M Melay and Alfred Oger. There is a birth on FreeBMD for Florence Margaret Melay Sep 1893 St Saviour (Southwark, London) and there is an Alfred L F Oger born 1866 Brighton and a marriage for Alfred Leon Oger in 1899 in Islington, but not to a Girling or a Jones! Of course they might not be relatives.

Couldn't find a medal index card for Robert Girling Driver ASC on ancestry or TNA - wonder if that means he didn't serve overseas.

Mary from Italy
01-04-10, 11:10
Robert Girling's occupation is Driver ASC Mechanical Transport (Artist). ASC = Army Service Corps.

That's what I thought, but what does "artist" mean in the context? Or do you think it was the name of the type of vehicle he drove?

kiterunner
01-04-10, 11:17
No, Artist is his peacetime occupation.

Mary from Italy
01-04-10, 11:20
Ah, thanks, I hadn't seen that before.

bidston
01-04-10, 11:27
hi all, thanks for all the hard work, story is robert was a landscape artist, pity about the ayling not girling, there must be some connection for them to use that address when my father was born 1912 in liverpool

i wonder if people in liverpool did not know they were married and having 2 boys they sneaked off to tie the knot later to avoid embarrassment

interesting about A.S.C. and the first in our family of independent means, that's got me baffled

appreciate the comments about getting all the certificates scanned, heaven knows what my sister has told me that might be wrong

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 11:36
Yes, you certainly need to get your sister to get all of the certs scanned. You did say her eyesight wasn't up to much.
You could be going off totally in the wrong direction because of it.

If I was in your position I would want to see them for myself anyway. I wouldn't take anyone elses opinion unless I had seen it myself.

Rachel
01-04-10, 12:18
There was, of course, the Artists Rifles (21 SAS)

http://www.artistsrifles.com/history.html

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2719560720015838489rfGGPE

http://military-genealogy.forcesreunited.org.uk/4375/21_Artist_Rifles

Olde Crone
01-04-10, 12:22
Oooh, Rachel, my grandfather was in the Artists Rifles - he was an Opera singer.

In my family, "of independent means" means, mind your own business where I get my money from, and includes a wealthy widow with property, plus someone who was unemployed (a mill worker usually).

OC

Rachel
01-04-10, 13:03
Oooh, Rachel, my grandfather was in the Artists Rifles - he was an Opera singer.

OC
:) That's exciting :) Any idea how or why he joined them ?
Did he do anything fabulous or was he just 'territorial' ?

Merry
01-04-10, 14:25
pity about the ayling not girling, there must be some connection for them to use that address when my father was born 1912 in liverpool

It might not be a family connection though. I would say of all the marriage certs I have (about 150) only a tiny percentage have a positive established link with the address given. The majority seem to be boarding in the marriage parish (for banns?) and were probably only there a few nights. I have two marriage certs less than a week after the 1881 census and neither bride or groom was staying at the address that gave on the marriage cert for census night!

Olde Crone
01-04-10, 14:45
Rachel

He joined from the territorials in 1916 and became an Officer, then a Lieutenant (?) etc, was injured and captured in the trenches. Because he was an Officer, he was taken to the German Officers Hospital and they saved his leg, although he always wore a built up shoe after the war.

I have his records from TNA. Artists Rifles are on there.

OC

bidston
01-04-10, 16:01
thanks for those links rachel, very interesting, could be a connection, especially as he was in middlesex, the way its going though i don't think i will ever know for sure, he's hard to find anywhere

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 16:05
thanks for those links rachel, very interesting, could be a connection, especially as he was in middlesex, the way its going though i don't think i will ever know for sure, he's hard to find anywhere

Blimey don't give up get. Some of us have broken down brick walls after 20 odd years of searching.

bidston
01-04-10, 16:15
hi marg, i understand that but can't think where to look next and don't want to upset people by repeating the same post again and again

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 16:18
Try another leg of the family for now and come back to this one. More info is coming online all of the time. You really need to get the rest of those certs scanned and sent to you though.

kiterunner
01-04-10, 16:52
He was a Driver in the Army Service Corps so there will be no connection with the Artists Rifles. I've seen civilian occupation given in brackets after army rank before so I'm certain that's what it means where it says (Artist).

Merry
01-04-10, 18:15
Pity he didn't put his army number on the marriage cert.