PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have time to do me a probate look-up?

Mary from Italy
30-03-10, 20:09
Now that the Bradford newspapers have been added to the Gale site, I'm getting quite a few new leads, and one article suggested that my GG-grandfather wasn't quite as poverty-stricken as I thought.

I checked him out in the death duty register on FMP, and sure enough, he left a will.

I'm hoping to send off to Cardiff for it, because they're usually quicker than York, but they need the date of probate.

I have the year and the executor's name from the index, so if anyone happens to be visiting a probate registry, it'd be an easy look-up.

JayG
30-03-10, 21:50
Hi Mary

Sorry I can't help with a probate lookup but can I ask which site you are using to access the papers? I can access them via my Newcastle Library card but they don't have the newly released papers.

Thanks

kiterunner
30-03-10, 21:52
If you haven't had an offer by the 12th of April when my kids go back to school, give me a shout, Mary.

Mary from Italy
30-03-10, 22:05
Thanks, Kite, will do, that's very kind of you,

Mary from Italy
30-03-10, 22:07
Hi Mary

Sorry I can't help with a probate lookup but can I ask which site you are using to access the papers? I can access them via my Newcastle Library card but they don't have the newly released papers.

I'm using the Lancs library site, but that just links to the usual Gale 18th and 19th century newspaper site.

kiterunner
30-03-10, 22:22
Thanks very much for mentioning part 2 was online, Mary. I can see it's going to keep me busy!

JayG
30-03-10, 22:23
Thanks Mary.

Newcastle only seem to have the 19th century not the 18th one I guess they can subscribe to different databases. They do have The Times tho i've never found any of mine in there.

Looks like I need to join Lancs lib then. I don't live in Newcastle but joined no problem so hope Lancs won't be either.

Not sure what the usual Gale site looks like?

JayG
30-03-10, 22:34
Job done!

Have registered & can access part 2 of the papers already.

Why did it have to let me in tonight lol I was going to have an early night!

kiterunner
30-03-10, 22:40
I've set up a thread on the News board for discussing the database so this thread doesn't get hijacked!
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=4011