PDA

View Full Version : Thinking caps on please!

Sabrina
30-03-10, 20:03
I am looking for the birth registration of William WILLIAMS who was born in 1854 (According to the census in either Berrow in Worcs, Redmarley, Worcs or Bromsberrow in Gloucestershire). His father was – wait for it – William WILLIAMS (from Marriage Certificate).

I have found a baptism of a William WILLIAMS on 25 June 1854 in Bromsberrow, parents names William and Eliza of Bromsberrow and this would seem to be the correct one.

Now Bromsberrow is close to the Gloucestershire border with Herefordshire and Worcestershire, so the $64m question is … which birth registration is the correct one? Does is depend on where they did their shopping as to where he was registered?

These are the choices as far as I can see:

Worcestershire
Williams William – Dudley 6c 10
Williams William – Worcester 6c 300
Williams William – Newent 6a 223
Williams William – Droitwich 6c 351
Williams William – Worcester 6c 296
Gloucestershire
Williams William – Ross 6a 407
Williams William – Gloster 6a 225
Williams William - Gloster 6a 232
Williams William – Newent 6a 223
Williams William – Ross – 6a 417

Have only looked in the first two quarters as he was baptised in June and have discounted the ones with a second name as he wasn’t baptised with middle name.

Does anyone have any idea? I have a favourite, but don't want to influence your decision!

Mark Dudley
30-03-10, 20:06
I would guess Worcester or Droitwich based on my memory of the area.

Katarzyna
30-03-10, 20:24
Bromsberrow was in the Newent Reg district from 1837 - 1937

Places Index (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/regindex1-3.pdf)

Scroll down 3 pages for the start.

Merry
30-03-10, 20:25
Bromsberrow was in Newent District 1837-1937.

Sabrina
30-03-10, 21:16
Thanks everyone! Newent was my choice too, but it's good to have someone else agree with you when there are so many choices. Time to order another certificate I think! ;)

Nell
30-03-10, 22:03
Sabrina

You have my sympathies.

My gt gt grandfather was William Williams. He was born between 1832-37 in Rendcombe, Rapsgate, Winchcombe, Winstone or Westwood, depending on which census you're looking at! I've found the likeliest baptism but can't be absolutely certain.

After 1901 William and his second wife Susan just disappear. They aren't buried in Rendcombe, which is where they lived in 1901. They don't appear in 1911 and don't appear to have died.

William is my most elusive direct ancestor.

Sabrina
31-03-10, 18:20
Thank you Nell - you have my sympathies too, your William sounds a really tricky customer! It's not the best name to research is it?

Before online BMD and census indexes it was virtually impossible to find this William's family, so I gave up. I am quite pleased to have got back another generation - now all I have to do is find his father who is also called William. :(

Good luck finding your William.

Nell
01-04-10, 21:44
Thanks. My ex also has a William Williams - in Wales!!!!

Margaret in Burton
01-04-10, 21:47
My 2 x great grandfathers sister married a William Williams from Wales. Are we connected Nell? :D:D:D

They emigrated to New Zealand

Sabrina
01-04-10, 21:58
My ex also has a William Williams - in Wales!!!! :d Are are tracing that William too? If so poor you! I have a funny feeling this family may have crossed over the border from Wales - they are living pretty close. So far there are three generations with William in - I just hope they were a bit more imaginative in earlier generations. Somehow I doubt it! :rolleyes:

KiwiChris
02-04-10, 04:34
My 2 x great grandfathers sister married a William Williams from Wales. Are we connected Nell? :D:D:D

They emigrated to New Zealand

He wasn't the missionary William Williams was he? The Williams family are the most well known of our early missionary families! I know a heap of the descendants if it is.....:D

Margaret in Burton
02-04-10, 08:30
He wasn't the missionary William Williams was he? The Williams family are the most well known of our early missionary families! I know a heap of the descendants if it is.....:D

No Chris, not the same person. His wife's name was Eliza and he was a cabinet maker. They didn't emigrate until the 1840's.

KiwiChris
02-04-10, 20:02
No Chris, not the same person. His wife's name was Eliza and he was a cabinet maker. They didn't emigrate until the 1840's.

They were here pretty early then, that is about the beginning of organised immigration, the peak time being the 1870s. The earliest missionaries were not much before the 1840s.

Uncle John
02-04-10, 20:47
And of course there is the William Williams (1717-1791) who wrote the words of "Guide me O Thou great Jehovah" (in Welsh).