PDA

View Full Version : I cant believe I did this. Be careful re certs

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
29-03-10, 18:15
I have a lady who married 3 times and I want to get the certs. I ordered them at the weekend and on each occasions I put that her surname was Woods.

OOpppss, the fact is her surname would only have been Woods at the first marriage.

I think I best order the 2nd and 3rd certs again.

kiterunner
29-03-10, 18:21
There is a certain period when the GRO marriage indexes do list women under all previous surnames, I can't remember the exact dates but if the ones you ordered were 20th century ones then it might be worth you checking the indexes to see if she is listed under Woods as well as her other name, in which case there will be no problem.

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
29-03-10, 18:39
Thanks Kate,

I just checked having ordered the certs again and I can confirm that she was not listed as her maiden name at her 2nd and 3rd marriages.

I am wondering whether they might over look the surname as knowing her first names, and refs and husbands surname match but I will only find out if I get 2 lots of certs,

kiterunner
29-03-10, 18:58
If you originally put in both her name and her husband's, then hopefully they will ignore hers and find the cert under his name. But I don't know for sure if that's what they'll do.

Olde Crone
29-03-10, 20:45
Sorry, Fi, but I am sure the GRO will only send out certs which correspond exactly with the information you give.

However, with a bit of luck, they will just go by the reference and not check the names!!!

OC

JayG
29-03-10, 21:19
The only times i've come across women indexed under 2 names in the GRO index is when they have been divorced.

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
16-04-10, 18:48
Looks like the GRO are not paying too much attention to what names are provided. Having received 3 marriage certs for Gertrude each to a different man as known, I expected to come home today to find the death cert of Gertrude and a couple of emails informing me of refunds for 2 certs (see first post).

Well I now have 2 certs the same marriage despite giving Gertrude's maiden name different on each order.

At least I have my newly found rellies to pass them on too. Oh and her first husband was an army pensioner (his dad was a soldier when he died), on her 2nd marriage it says she was a box maker at Lever Brothers were her dad (Richard Woods whose watch I have) worked and her 3rd husband was a postman (GPO) and they lived in Bethnal Green. I think a trip or an email to the Postal Museum is needed very soon

I hope the death cert comes tomorrow.