PDA

View Full Version : Should I pay the $34????

HarrysMum
28-03-10, 17:45
That's the cost of a cert in Qld......lol

OH's great grandmother was born in 1876. I have her birth cert and I know it's the right one.

She was known as Mary Neilson/Nelson prior to her marriage.

Her birth cert has ......

Maria Christena Neilson, born 19th May, 1876, Tenterfield, NSW.

Father.......Antonie Neilson, age 27, born Denmark.
Mother......Mater Christena , nee Asmus, age 35, born Denmark.

Parents' marriage..........10th Dec, 1873, Brisbane, Qld.

I've found a Qld marriage for 1873 for....

Anton Mason Neilson
and
Melhe Christine Rasmusen.

It's the only one that anywhere near fits.
I'm thinking if they spoke broken English, the names could be a bit out.

I can't find any definite arrivals for either. There are a couple of maybes.

I also found a birth for a daughter in Qld with the exact parents as the marriage. It was in 1875 for a Christina, who also died that year.

I can't find any other children for the couple at all.

I'm thinking the cert is worth buying, but then, how do I tell if it's the right one, even after I've got it?????

Olde Crone
28-03-10, 17:51
Libby

Um, I'd be pretty sure that was the right cert, unless you know there are lots of people called Antoine Neilson/Nelson marrying Christine Rasmusens in QLD???!!!

OC

kiterunner
28-03-10, 17:52
It certainly sounds worth getting. Does Mary's birth certificate give her father's occupation? And if so, do you know whether the marriage cert will give the groom's occupation so you can compare the two? (Don't tell me he's a labourer on the birth cert, please!)

kiterunner
28-03-10, 17:59
D'oh - I just realised, the marriage cert will have the date on for you to check!

HarrysMum
28-03-10, 18:09
Double D'oh!!!!!!!!!

I never thought of the date...............lol

Off to heat up the credit card.....

Mary from Italy
28-03-10, 18:55
I expect it's obvious, but you do realise that "Mater" is Latin for "mother"?

Uncle John
28-03-10, 20:18
Ooh it gives you a warm glow, seeing other people spend money! (Well I have just invested £12 in ScotlandsPeople).

HarrysMum
28-03-10, 21:12
Thanks UJ......lol

Mary.....I didn't think of that, but I'm sure there is "a name" before Christena, as she is known as Mary on her daughter's marriage cert.

It's the change of names that get me.
Anton on his marriage cert.
Antonie on his daughter's birth cert.
Andrew after that.
Neilson on early records.....Nelson later.

Mater/Maria/Mary is Rasmusen on her marriage, Asmus on daughter's birth cert.....and somehow morphs into Jenson on daughter's marriage cert.

Obviously the lack of langauge, accents, etc as well as poor spelling all add up.

OC...................there are actually a few others in Qld that could be right, but the dates are wrong. We had an influx of Danish.

Olde Crone
28-03-10, 21:42
Isn't Denmark one of those countries that doesn't have fixed surnames for women?

I have a friend who was born in finland of a Finnish mother and a Swedish/Danish father. My friend has SIX surnames which she uses, depending on where she is and who she is talking to. All are her "legal" surnames by virtue of her birth, something like

Jensdottir
Dansen

and so on. Her "surnames" reflect who she is descended from, as is the custom in Finland (or was until recently). they have a different attitude to genealogy and a different approach, lol.

OC

HarrysMum
28-03-10, 22:14
Interesting............haven't heard that.

Maybe she wasn't as stupid as I made her out....lol

I have such a long line of "stupids" in my tree, I just expect it.

Kit
29-03-10, 00:30
Can you do checking points in QLD? How do you know the date of the marriage? Are they on NSW birth certs? it's been a while since I've looked at one.

Anyway I think you should order it, it sounds like you have a match.

HarrysMum
29-03-10, 00:44
Kit....it is on this birth cert from NSW. I've not seen it before but the only other NSW one I have is about 1820, so a baptism cert really.

In Qld, when you order an historical birth cert, you can ask for the parents marriage details and they print them on another page, but this is on the bottom of the cert.

Brilliant.........I was just too stupid to think about checking the date with the Qld marriage.....lol

I'm not sure about having a checking point for certs, but I'll get it anyway. I'm ralated to most of Qld so it'll be a rellie somewhere....lol

Kit
29-03-10, 04:58
I always worry about checking points. Most of the time I don't bother, mainly as I would wonder why I didn't get the cert. lol

Good luck.