PDA

View Full Version : Inquest held in 1905

lozaras
23-03-10, 14:43
On the death cert that I recently received the cause of death was:
Suffocation from accidentally falling on her face in an epileptic fit - she was 59.

and in the informant column:
Certificate received from John Lambe, Coroner for Hereford. Inquest held 31st March 1905 - she died on 29th March.

soooo - having had a quick (unsuccessful) try at googling - I'm now asking if anyone knows whether I could get a copy of the report, either in full or from a newspaper??
*hopeful icon*

Margaret in Burton
23-03-10, 14:54
Local newspapers are usually a good source for inquest reports.

kiterunner
23-03-10, 14:56
The back issues of the local paper will be at the local library for that area plus at Collindale, so you could ask if anyone is going to either place and could look it up for you?

Margaret in Burton
23-03-10, 14:59
Wasn't Fi talking about going to Collindale soon only a few days ago?

lozaras
23-03-10, 15:13
Thanks all! I wasn't sure if there was another 'official' way to get a copy - other than the paper I mean.

I just phoned The Hereford Times, who told me to call the library.
They are going to look it up and send me anything they find. :)

Margaret in Burton
23-03-10, 15:17
Brilliant

I had a similar thing done elsewhere, even if there is a charge it isn't ususally a lot.

Joy Dean
23-03-10, 21:18
I have obtained copies of coroners' inquests from the relevant records office. Unfortunately, not all reports have survived over the years but if you can obtain one, they are fascinating reading.

Nell
23-03-10, 21:38
Coroner's records don't always survive. Sometimes they are at the relevant county records office and sometimes they are still at the Coroner's office. Local newspapers virtually always cover inquests, even if its only a small paragraph. If you have the exact date you might be able to get a library to do a search and send photocopies for a small fee.