PDA

View Full Version : William Jones - The End??

BlueSavannah
23-03-10, 14:32
Hi Everyone

After spending nearly four years looking for my great grandfather and finally breaking down the brickwall......I have gone a couple more generations further back and hit another wall, only this time I think this one might not be knocked down.

My great x 3 grandfather is William Jones born aproximately 1796c. He married Mary Marshall at the Cathedral in Sheffield in 1822. All children born in Sheffield.
He stated Y for born in the county of Yorkshire on the 1841 census
He stated born Jersey, British Subject, on the 1851 census
He stated born 'at sea' on the 1861 census.

He died in 1869. He was a silversmith on all census and burial record.

With a name like William Jones and no real confirmation of where he was born, is there any chance I will find out where this man was born, when born, who parents are etc? Or do I accept this is the end of the line for my Jones ancestry?

Any guidance much appreciated :)
Claire

kiterunner
23-03-10, 15:27
Claire, do you have the names of the witnesses from William and Mary's wedding, in case they're relatives?

Phoenix
23-03-10, 15:30
Claire, if he was a silversmith, there may be trade records of some kind. He would have served an apprenticeship and probably belonged to a guild. I have no idea what sort of survival there would be for the period, or where the existing records would be held, but there might be something.

If you have his marriage as taking place at Sheffield "Cathedral" would this be from the IGI? I suspect the local parish church became a cathedral some time after he got married. Have you had sight of the actual entry? It is possible the witnesses might give an extra clue.

BlueSavannah
23-03-10, 15:41
Hi Kiterunner and Phoenix

The record for the marriage is from the IGI. I no longer live in Sheffield but intend to vist the archives again in the future when I will be able to view the original record to check the witness names. The parish church of Sheffield is St Peter & Paul (now the Cathedral).

I didnt know that silversmiths were part of a guild or there were apprenticeship records. Its something I will try and look in to. Hopefully, it wont be long before I can visit Sheffield Archives again so I will ask them there for advice in this area.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Claire

kiterunner
23-03-10, 15:47
And have you checked to see if he left a will? It's possible he might mention some relative other than his wife and children in it.

BlueSavannah
23-03-10, 15:50
No...I didnt know that any for 1869 would be available (if one was left). Is there an address or website I can look at to find out if he left a will?

Regards
Claire

kiterunner
23-03-10, 15:58
It would be easiest to look at the National Probate Calendar, which is on microfilm or microfiche at record offices etc, but not yet online, but you could try the Index to Death Duty Registers which is on www.findmypast.com to see if there is an entry on there. It's not fully name-indexed yet, though, so you would need to look through a few pages. If you can give me the date and place of his death then I can look him up on the National Probate Calendar next time I'm at my local record office.

BlueSavannah
23-03-10, 16:57
Many thanks for all the advice Kiterunner. I didnt realise this existed. I will take a look at the findmypast you mentioned as I have an account on there but I wont hold too much hope.

I havnt bought the death certificate for William yet but I will purchase it now that there may be a chance he left a will. He died aged 72 at 7 Cheney Row in Sheffield and was buried on the 26th January 1869 at All Saints, Ecclesall, Sheffield. Do I need the actual date of death to be able to proceed?

Many thanks again
Claire

kiterunner
23-03-10, 16:59
That should be enough info for me to search, Claire.

BlueSavannah
23-03-10, 17:08
Many thanks Kiterunner, that is very much appreciated.

Uncle John
23-03-10, 21:08
If he was a silversmith, his mark would be registered with the Sheffield Assay Office. The archivist at the Goldsmiths Company in London is exceedingly helpful and would set you on the right road, even if they don't hold the records.

BlueSavannah
24-03-10, 07:22
Good Morning Uncle John

Many thanks for that information. I will find the contact details for both places and get in touch with them.

Regards

kiterunner
24-03-10, 13:35
Sorry to say there is no will listed for him, at least not between 1869 and 1872.

BlueSavannah
24-03-10, 14:04
Oh, thats a blow but many thanks for taking the time to look for me, it is much appreciated.

I have sent emails to both the organisations that Uncle John has suggested so will have to wait and see if they respond. I dont mind paying for anything if they do hold any records of him.

I need to try and get to Sheffield in the near future to check out the original record of the IGI marriage just to see who the witnesses were. I dont hold much hope with this as most marriages for my family around this time seem to have the same church witnesses :(

Many thanks again.

kiterunner
24-03-10, 14:09
I suppose there's a faint chance that if you could find his gravestone it might have his exact date of birth on it, but not very likely.

BlueSavannah
24-03-10, 14:38
that is something I hadnt thought of. I have just checked online and All Saints, Ecclesall is still a church in use and there is an address for them. I think I will write to them to see if they are able to tell me if the burial plot has a headstone and if it still exists.

BlueSavannah
31-03-10, 19:21
I have had a reply from both the places Uncle John suggested and sadly they also have no record of William.

I will pin my hopes on the witness names to his marriage, but I need to find the time to get to Sheffield to view this record. I am not holding out much hope :(