PDA

View Full Version : NBI 3 - not impressed

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
20-03-10, 15:29
Hi All,

I dont know what experience you have had with this disc, but I have to say i am very disappointed. I have not found any burials related to my family (16 surnames) that I did not already know.

If you dont have the disc and require a look up I would be glad to try and help you.

ElizabethHerts
20-03-10, 15:34
Fi, I think it depends which counties you are interested in.

Some of the counties are very poor, but I have done very well for families in Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire and Sussex.

Hampshire, as usual, is hugely disappointing. So many of my Mum's family came from Hampshire, and there is very little on line for them. There seems to be a conspiracy to prevent data being put on line!:(

WendyPusey
20-03-10, 15:49
Hampshire, as usual, is hugely disappointng. So many of my Mum's family came from Hampshire, and there is very little on line for them. There seems to be a conspiracy to prevent data being put on line!:(

I transcribe for FreeReg, and I have been waiting 6 months now for Hampshire records to transcribe!!! Seems they just don't want to let us have them.:(:( A lot of my lot are from the Isle of Wight, and the Hampshire area.

Margaret in Burton
20-03-10, 16:37
Be careful offering lookups from it Fi, it's against the copyright of the disc. I remember being told that when I had a thread running on GR once.

*stamps foot, as my NBI hasn't come yet from Amazon. Grrrrrrrrrrr*

Fi aka Wheelie Spice
20-03-10, 16:52
ok I dont offer look ups. :)

Margaret in Burton
20-03-10, 16:56
You can do them if someone is saying they can't find a burial and then pm the result, I've done that.

ElizabethHerts
20-03-10, 18:02
I transcribe for FreeReg, and I have been waiting 6 months now for Hampshire records to transcribe!!! Seems they just don't want to let us have them.:(:( A lot of my lot are from the Isle of Wight, and the Hampshire area.

That's very interesting, Wendy. I sometimes think that there must be something that people can do to put more records on line for certain counties. I have a real brickwall with my Purkises, and I'm sure I could solve it or get further with them if more records were on line and searchable. I really don't think I stand a chance by going to the Record Office as I don't know which parishes to look at.

Merry
20-03-10, 18:18
I remember when the second edition came out (I didn't have the first one) I only found one burial for any of the (then) 6,000 or so people on my tree! I see the number of records has gone up by about five million from the second edition.

Margaret in Burton
20-03-10, 18:45
I remember when the second edition came out (I didn't have the first one) I only found one burial for any of the (then) 6,000 or so people on my tree! I see the number of records has gone up by about five million from the second edition.

It really does depend where you need. I've had both previous versions and haven't felt it was a waste of money.

The first one had nothing at all for Notts.
Suffolk and Norfolk have always been well covered.

Devon is awful as is London.

Even if the parish you need is there, the dates may not be.

You can see the coverage before you buy.

Mandy in Wiltshire
20-03-10, 20:52
I got all excited when I heard about it, but then I checked the coverage and it's no better for Devon and Cornwall than previous versions :(

Mary from Italy
20-03-10, 21:29
You definitely need to check the coverage before buying it, because it's very patchy.

ElizabethHerts
20-03-10, 21:33
I'm glad I got it because I have probably found 100 + burials so far - lots for my OH's Yorkshire families, and also I have found a lot for my Stilwells and Andrew/Andrews families in Sussex. I still have to check for more Andrews family members, and it is actually helping me to construct a better tree for them in the 1700s.

Margaret in Burton
20-03-10, 21:34
I'm glad I got it because I have probably found 100 + burials so far - lots for my OH's Yorkshire families, and also I have found a lot for my Stilwells and Andrew/Andrews families in Sussex. I still have to check for more Andrews family members, and it is actually helping me to construct a better tree for them in the 1700s.

*stamps feet even more because mine hasn't arrived yet*

WendyPusey
21-03-10, 08:17
Can anyone who has the new index, tell me what the coverage for the Isle of Wight is like please. I can't find anything just for the Island, just Hampshire.

ElizabethHerts
21-03-10, 09:07
Wendy, from the map and the coverage index I can't see any evidence of any Isle of Wight entries.

I was very interested about your comment on FreeReg transcription - who is supposed to be sending you the registers?

WendyPusey
21-03-10, 09:16
My FreeReg Co-ordinator is supposed to be getting the registers Elizabeth.

Shan't bother to get index if IOW not on it.