PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth = Lydia?

Sue from Southend
20-03-10, 11:52
Just a quick question;) Is Lydia ever used as a diminutive for Elizabeth?

scuda
20-03-10, 12:49
Well, Libby can be short for Elizabeth, and that could (perhaps) become Liddy, which is not unlike Lydia.

scuda

Nell
20-03-10, 13:35
Lydia and Elizabeth are two separate names. But lots of people end up being called something that they weren't named at birth.

Why are you asking?

Sue from Southend
20-03-10, 13:55
Lydia and Elizabeth are two separate names. But lots of people end up being called something that they weren't named at birth.

Why are you asking?

Because I'm confused, lol.

Before I start I haven't any certificates yet so nothing concrete.

I have Ellen Wright b 1867 ish, South Ockendon/Hornchurch Essex. In 1881 she is with her parents Henry and Lizzie both b in South Ockendon. In 1871 she is with Henry and Lydia but the only likely marriage for Henry Wright is to an Elizabeth Button in Orsett in 1855. I can't see a death for Lydia and if you trace Lydia Button back to 1841 there she is, in South Ockendon with parents Samuel and Lydia. (tho' no trace of an Elizabeth Button of the right age)

To be honest I'm fairly confident that they are the same person which is why I wondered if one could be pet name and I know that the only way I can be sure is to send for Ellen's birth certificate and Henry and Elizabeth/Lydia's marriage cert.

Thanks for your interest Nell and scuda. :)

Margaret in Burton
20-03-10, 14:43
Maybe she was Elizabeth Lydia or Lydia Elizabeth and swapped them around. My great grandfather was Thomas Henry but sometimes he is listed as Henry Thomas.

Nell
20-03-10, 14:51
Or maybe someone misheard and recorded the name wrongly?

Lindsay
20-03-10, 15:38
Sue,
I've sent you a PM.

djcoterel
16-04-15, 12:45
While Lydia is not commonly associated as a diminutive of Elizabeth, Liddy is a diminutive of Elizabeth and Liddy is also a diminutive of Lydia. Some modern day examples include Elizabeth “Liddy” Dole and Elizabeth “Liddy” Huntsman. Once an Elizabeth is tabbed with the diminutive form Liddy it could easily be transformed to Lydia from there.