Gilbert Roy Campbell AKA Roy Campbell
Born. 30th Sept 1893........Gympie Qld Australia
Died ?????????????

Married 8th Dec 1915
Agnes Maud Nott
Born 21st April 1898.......Gympie Qld Australia
Died 1st Oct 1978............Gold Coast Qld Australia

1 child still living.

Roy Campbell was employed by the Qld Govt Railways from approx 1913 until around 1933. He started out as a cleaner but ended up as a fireman first in Gympie then at the Southern Division Locomotive division then at the Cairns Division. In 1934 and 1936 Electoral rolls he was employed as a Labourer. This is the final record I have for Roy Campbell and I can not find a death record.

Known addresses 1919 Ann St., Gympie, Qld, Australia
1922 Church St., West End, Brisbane, Qld, Australia
1923 Roy and Agnes separated and Roy moved out
1925 Braemar, Campbell St., Bowen Hills, Brisbane, Qld, Aust.
With his mother (Mary Ann nee Iland) and father James Watson Campbell.
After his fathers death 19th Sept 1925 Roy and his mother moved to....Markwell St., Bowen Hills, Brisbane, Qld, Aust.
1926 Roy is transferred to Cairns Division but still lists his address
1934 As ... Markwell St., Bowen Hills.
1936 still at the same address but his mother died 16th July 1936
And at this point Roy disappears.

Gilbert Roy Campbell was the youngest of 7 children 3 of whom died as children

James Arthur drowned at the age of 9 in 1892
Violet Mable died at the age of 1 year 8 months in 1887
Archibald Leslie died at the age of 1 year in 1890

3 sisters survived and married

Florence Beatrice married Edmond Brierly Smith and had 1 son.
Maud (Gertie) Gertrude married Franz (Frank) Hubner and had 1 son and 1 daughter.
Ethel Laura married Charles Edgar Williamson and had approximately 7 sons

I am interested in finding any information on Gilbert Roy Campbell after 1936 up to and including the place and date of his death.

marquette
22-03-10, 02:01
Hi
I looked in all the places I thought he might be, but I guess you have too - War Memorial, National Archives, NLA Newspapers etc, etc. Can only think he might have left Australia !

I have one like him - William Henry Martin Collis, family legend says 'he went funny after his wife died and joined the foreign legion" - as his wife died in 1939, just before WW2, anything could have happened. THe French Foreign Legion did not ask too many questions about its members, so if he joined under a false name..... Or if he went to England and enlisted there ? Or just went to ground on a small Pacific Island ????

MacPanda
22-03-10, 04:49
Hi marquette

First thank you for your interest and Yep I've tried all those places you mention over the last 4 years. I have thought about him leaving the country, maybe going to New Zealand, USA or UK but as a labourer I can't see him saving enough money to go as a passenger which leaves being a crew member...I was wondering as a fireman on a locomotive would he be eligible to work as a fireman on a steam ship as they would both be stoking a furnace wouldn't they?

I don't know how or where you find information on ships crewmen on ships out of Australia.

Has anyone got any ideas on this please?

Good luck with your William Henry Martin Collis marquette I hope you get a break through soon. It is an unusual name you'd think it would jump out at you wouldn't you...lol. You have family legend I wish I could find some live family with a story about Roy Campbell...lol

MacPanda
22-03-12, 03:41
Nudge for Jood ;)

HarrysMum
22-03-12, 06:06
Blow....I saw this and thought you may have the found the old sod......dancing away with Aggie...lol

Got your floaties on over there Panda????

MacPanda
22-03-12, 06:14
So wish that was the case Lib poor Mum has been asking if I've found anything more for her...guess you start feeling your mortality at 95 and 96 in 4 months :)

Wet wet wet here Libby but it all soaks away quickly so not water laying around....may get a road cut here and there at high tide but not enough to be more than just careful driving through it. Bet the poor mainland peeps are getting soggy again though...guess we are all over it hey? Can't believe it wasn't that long ago we were all whining about the drought...lol.

HarrysMum
22-03-12, 06:41
Dorothea MacKellor was on the money....."drought and flooding rains"

I'm just home from Brissie (more blinky tests) and i have to go out for a bit......I promise to see if I can dig up anything new tomorrow.
If you don't hear from me....remind me.....lol

MacPanda
22-03-12, 07:04
Your a masochist as well Lib...pmsl

Thanks for that though.xxxxxx

Kit
22-03-12, 08:40
Hi marquette

First thank you for your interest and Yep I've tried all those places you mention over the last 4 years. I have thought about him leaving the country, maybe going to New Zealand, USA or UK but as a labourer I can't see him saving enough money to go as a passenger which leaves being a crew member...I was wondering as a fireman on a locomotive would he be eligible to work as a fireman on a steam ship as they would both be stoking a furnace wouldn't they?

I don't know how or where you find information on ships crewmen on ships out of Australia.

Has anyone got any ideas on this please?

Good luck with your William Henry Martin Collis marquette I hope you get a break through soon. It is an unusual name you'd think it would jump out at you wouldn't you...lol. You have family legend I wish I could find some live family with a story about Roy Campbell...lol

Any chance he inherited some money from his mother?

MacPanda
22-03-12, 14:40
Never thought of that Kit I'll ask Mum if there was any to be had....thanks for the idea :)

HarrysMum
23-03-12, 05:01
D.....there is a Roy Campbell (no age) buried Traralgon Cemetery Vic in 1989. I would find the cemetery online and email or ring them and ask if they have any details. I've emailed Mt Thompson in Brissie and they sent me heaps on my grandfather.

I have found him (I think) enrolled at One Mile School in Gympie......under Roy Campbell as well.

HarrysMum
23-03-12, 05:03
1936 the last sighting????

Refresh my brain.....lol

MacPanda
23-03-12, 06:16
Well I don't have that info about school enrollment so no probs forgive your memory...lol
How did you find the school enrollment?

MacPanda
23-03-12, 06:25
I did a Google Maps search but I got funeral parlors no cemetery that name.

I'll give it another try just Googeling for Victorian Cemeteries.

HarrysMum
23-03-12, 06:31
Here you are...

http://www.gippslandmemorialpark.com/index.php/page-three

Use the 'contact us' bit and email. I found it all on FMP Australia. you can join free for 24hours and don't need your credit card.

MacPanda
23-03-12, 08:58
Football on here ... grumble groan :)

I found the town and where it is in Vic and was going to email and ask one of the funeral parlors what the name of the old cemetery is now but you found it for me thank you Libby.xx
I must have a look at this FMP .. do you know I've forgotten how and where to look for things...I might have worked out that puzzle but the memory is going none the less :rolleyes:

MacPanda
13-09-13, 10:48
Sent an email away asking if they have any further info and gave them some of what I had just in case it matched so will wait with baited breath now...LOL

No wonder I couldn't remember this it was back in March 2012 :rolleyes:

HarrysMum
16-09-13, 01:32
Where on earth did I find that death for 1989? I can't for the life of me find it again.

MacPanda
16-09-13, 02:03
Here you are...

http://www.gippslandmemorialpark.com/index.php/page-three

Use the 'contact us' bit and email. I found it all on FMP Australia. you can join free for 24hours and don't need your credit card.

This is the link you gave me Lib

HarrysMum
16-09-13, 03:51
But I can't find it on FMP now.....

I have FMP world and they should have all the Aussie stuff.....lol

Kit
16-09-13, 08:07
I can't find anything on FMP world Libby, the search facility makes no sense.

kiterunner
16-09-13, 08:25
Just search for Roy Campbell, selecting Australia / New Zealand collections, and then "narrow your search results" - Birth, marriage, death & parish records - and the top result should be Roy Campbell, Victoria funeral notices, 1989. I presume that is it, but I don't have a world sub to actually view the record.

HarrysMum
16-09-13, 08:53
Thanks...that way did it. However, if I go to Australia first then search for him, it doesn't come up.

FMP World has to be the worst search....lol

Kit
16-09-13, 23:34
I used to hate FMP.uk's search facility. I love it now they have the world sub. lol

MacPanda
16-09-13, 23:53
?Sorry guys I'm reading and keeping up just too sick to post :(