PDA

View Full Version : A book on Traitors in WW2

Muggins in Sussex
14-03-10, 17:12
This was my biggest breakthrough. It's rather a complicated story to tell in a "nutshell", but I'll try! LOL!

About 6 years ago, I decided to start trying to do my family tree, because I only knew the name of one of my grandparents (my mother's mother) - my parents would never answer my questions about the other grandparents, and it was obvious that they did not want me to ask questions about them. I also had vague recollections of hearing as a child about a "Mr Whittle" who made pro-Nazi radio broadcasts to the UK from Germany during WW2, and that he had abducted my late aunt (my mother's sister) and taken her to Berlin, from where she also made such broadcasts.

One day, about 6 years I met up with other members at TNA. I didn't really know what I was looking for, and eventually decided to start looking in the library to see if I could find anything about "Mr Whittle".

At about 10 to 5 I found it!!! - a book about WW2 traitors -with information about my late aunt making radio broadcasts from Berlin with Mr Wicks, not Mr Whittle - HW Wicks!!!

From that I then went on to discover so much more, and have read M15 files on HW Wicks.

I still don't know whether HW Wicks was my grandfather, or whether he was the brother-in-law of my grandfather.

But if I hadn't chanced upon that book, I think I would have given up many years ago

Nell
14-03-10, 19:30
Keep going Muggins, you'll get there - and we'll all want to know when you get to the bottom of all this!

Kit
19-03-10, 06:14
Yours certainly is a complicated tree. I think we will all be very happy when you can solve this.

Wallaby
20-07-10, 15:52
If you ever do get to the bottom of your search Muggins, your story would make a great book!

Wallaby

Rachel
20-07-10, 16:22
If you ever do get to the bottom of your search Muggins, your story would make a great book!

Wallaby

and a film and a musical :D

Who shall we have in the cast list ?