PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry Correction Query

Kit
14-03-10, 10:27
I know how to do a correction and received 2 emails tonight.

One was correcting a place of birth and the other was correcting a name.

With the place name the incorrect place name was replaced with my correction.

With the name they put in an addition - a member submitted value. However the incorrect name remains as the primary name.

Why would they replace one error and not the other?

JBee
14-03-10, 10:38
I think they do that in case someone is looking under the original name. I do think that when you search either variation it comes up - might be wrong though

Oakum Picker
14-03-10, 11:10
I think that if it's a transcription error they are both included but if it's an incorrect original, you can only find your correction by going to the incorrect name first. This seems illogical to me as if the name is wrong no-one is looking for that name anyway!!

e.g. Look for William HAILEY born 1823 in Hertfordshire in 1851. He should be living in Limehouse with wife Caroline & daughter. Nothing shows.

Look for William WHEELEY & there is my correction.

In fact I was wrong, the correction is there. It's pretty obvious if you do an exact search but is at the end of the 4th page on a soundex search. Perhaps that's where yours is!!

Uncle John
14-03-10, 14:42
I go along with the idea that the name which is displayed remains as originally transcribed but the corrected name is indexed as well.

Nell
14-03-10, 19:51
By coincidence I found one of my old corrections. In the index it has the original mistranscription but my correction is in brackets and italics beneath it.

Olde Crone
14-03-10, 21:10
I think it's a face-saving exercise by Ancestry - we think OUR original transcription was correct, but here is this ancestry member saying it is something different....

...this is the only explanation which would account for Ancestry's conviction that thousands of men born in the British Isles were baptised as GEROGE and not George!

OC

Kit
15-03-10, 03:33
Well mine was really wrong. Florence was transcribed as Terrence. The place name was equally as wrong but the incorrect place name has been replaced, the incorrect one is totally gone.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Kit
15-03-10, 07:11
I think Ancestry must read this site. I got another correction email just now and it was a location change but this time they put my correction as a user submitted correction rather than replacing the wrong location.