PDA

View Full Version : Claiming on an old policy

Margaret in Burton
13-03-10, 12:05
I know this question has come up before.

Whilst going through my late father in law's paperwork etc, we found an old policy for his late mother in law. OH's grandmother.

It's through the Salvation Army Assurance Society. It's from 1959 and was for £8-13-6. This according to http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/historic-inflation-calculator is just under £150 in todays money.

How do I find out if he claimed it? (I'm assuming as we found the paper he didn't)

How and where do I try to claim the money?

Merry
13-03-10, 12:20
I think you need to contact the Wesleyan Assurance Society, which merged with the Salvation Army one a few years ago:

The Wesleyan can be contacted at:

Wesleyan Assurance Society,
Colmore Circus, Birmingham, B4 6AR
Telephone: 0121 200 3003

Not sure how up to date that 'phone number is? There's this number from their website which you might start with:

Wesleyan Assurance Society
Please call 0800 092 1990

Margaret in Burton
13-03-10, 13:10
Thanks Merry, much appreciated.

Kit
13-03-10, 21:05
I believe the policy will be returned even if it is cashed in. It should be marked in someway so you know.

Someone else on here recently phoned an insurance company for the same reason and was told there was no record of the policy. It might be best to photocopy the policy and take it in to be cashed. Let them prove it if it has already been cashed.

Margaret in Burton
13-03-10, 21:28
It's not marked in any way Kit

borobabs
13-03-10, 23:41
Margaret Im sure when unc died they gave me policies back but they had stamp on them which I assume meant paid out so if no markings I would try claiming ;;

Margaret in Burton
14-03-10, 08:54
Margaret Im sure when unc died they gave me policies back but they had stamp on them which I assume meant paid out so if no markings I would try claiming ;;

It's worth a try isn't it Babs, even £150 isn't to be sneezed at.