PDA

View Full Version : Could someone decipher this name

maggie_4_7
11-03-10, 11:19
Could someone decipher the two middles names? I think the first one is Auld.

Thank you.

Phoenix
11-03-10, 11:19
Auld Downie?

maggie_4_7
11-03-10, 11:21
Auld Downie?

Could be. Where in the world did that name pop up from :d its probably a place knowing the McMillans.

Edit to say: Well there's an Old Downie in Canoustie, Angus in fact I've been there its not far from where my half sister lives in Dundee. We stayed in Panmuire.

maggie_4_7
11-03-10, 13:30
Auld Downie?

Thanks for that I sort of can see Downie now but I am so doubtful about this mob. Can't see why they'd name her after an obscure part of Angus. Never seen the name before in my Scots! Auld Downie!

I wish these registrars had been made to write in block capitals!

kiterunner
11-03-10, 13:32
Auld and Downie are both Scottish surnames, so it might be nothing to do with the place.

maggie_4_7
11-03-10, 13:56
Auld and Downie are both Scottish surnames, so it might be nothing to do with the place.

Yes I know. :) well I sort of knew that.

But I didn't really know it said that until another opinion and also I have in my travels never seen either name yet on my Scottish Ancestry. It was just a flippant comment about the McMillans them being descended from Travellers and all that jazz :d

Edit to say: I forgot to say - and in my curiosity searched for a marriage between a Auld and a Downie and only found one in 1982 in the whole of Scotland - well one that comes on the search anyway!