PDA

View Full Version : The enigma that is Louisa and where she was in 1861!

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 19:29
This little conundrum has been driving me up the wall for a few years but having put William Parker Sayer on the TOGGx2 this week it has reared it's ugly head once again.

'Louisa' baptised and registered as Martha Louisa was born 16th Jan 1861 in Shoreditch, London her parents didn't marry until 21st August 1862. She was always known as Louisa she hated the name Martha with a vengance apparently.

She was registered as Martha Louisa Wingfield (I sent for her cert yesterday) it wasn't something that bothered me before because I feel as if I know 'Louisa' she lived to a great age was known by my mother and all her siblings and some of my older cousins.

Many stories about her abound in our family. Didn't think of ordering her cert before or even realised she was registered as a Wingfield not a Sayer! She was baptised at aged 13 with her younger siblings as a Sayer. Poor old Louisa will be turning over in her grave oh she was grand when she was old she ruled the roost everyone clucked and fussed about her she was 91 years old when she died.

I have now found both her father William Parker Sayer and her mother Emma Wingfield on the 1861 census in different places but where is Louisa? and also where is her grandfather Daniel Wingfield born 1793 in Kent he was alive in 1861 he died in 1866 I have his death cert his wife Martha Louisa's grandmother died in 1858. I have found all of Emma's sisters on the 1861 census and one of her brothers, two are missing in action.

Not a sign of Louisa, she is only 3 months old she must be somewhere but where?

Merry
07-03-10, 19:39
If you do a search for Danl Maksfred on Ancestry (that spelling) you will find Daniel and his granddaughter plus dau, Emma!!

Merry
07-03-10, 19:40
and her mother Emma Wingfield on the 1861

OOoh, are you sure? I found her with Martha (see last post!)

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 19:40
What?

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 19:42

Then we didn't find Emma there is someone posing as Emma in Islington!

How the hell did you find that? I have been looking for months.

I haven't looked at it yet though... *goes off to look*.

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 19:47

Well my giddy aunt it is them.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=MDXRG9_231_235-0573&fn=Danl&ln=Maksfred&st=r&ssrc=&pid=5513306

I am glad I posted that little story :)

I just don't know how you found them please can you explain.

I was surprised that Daniel wasn't with Emma because Emma looked after him until the day he died even after marrying and having umpteen more children she was the only child that never left him.

Thank you very much Merry ... *goes off to send to Gill in Oz* *Mich in Kent* and Di in East Ham* not that we've all been searching of course!

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 20:02
Thank you again Merry.

*goes off to watch Rod Stewart to rekindle her lost youth and younger days*

He still wears it well. :)

Merry
07-03-10, 20:34
How come I'm watching some boring stuff about the solar system (OH's choice) and you are watching Rod???!!!! pmsl

To find Daniel I first looked to see where he died - Shoreditch. Then I searched for Dan* (no surname) living in Shoreditch, b 1792 plus or minus five years. Saw that odd spelling straight away!

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 20:57
:d

ahhh the Solar System :)

Rod Stewart. Its a program on ITV3 its probably a repeat.

I had to see Handbags with him and the Steriophonics one of my favourite songs and I also like the Steriophonics a lot - Maggie May hasn't been a full version yet just snippets. Rainy Night In Georgia was brilliant and You Wear It Well a classic brings back good memories for me just waiting for Maggie May now. :d