PDA

View Full Version : Disappering trick

anne fraser
06-03-10, 21:15
I have the wonderfully named John Adolphus Claudius Cline Burch born in Greinton Somerset in 1846. In 1851 he is there with his parents. Ancestry have a marriage for him to Anna Maria Vale but I don't pay enough to see the year or place. In 1881 he is back in Bridgewater with Anna, Harrie Vale Burch born 1871 United States and two children born 1873 and 1875 in Bridgewater. On his millitary record Harrie gives his birth place as New York but I can't seem to find the family on any passenger lists or U.S. Census. Any help appreciated.

In 1881 he is a spirit vault manager.

Merry
06-03-10, 21:38
As the US census was 1870 and the UK one 1871 I guess this family may have managed to miss both!

Merry
06-03-10, 21:42
The marriage was 31st Aug 1869 at St Luke's Chelsea, by licence.

He was 23 a bachelor and a farmer living in St Luke's. Father John Burch, farmer dec'd

She was a spinter also 23 of Grinton in the County of Somerset. Father James Vale, farmer.

Witnesses: John Bacon and Hephzibah McCarthy

anne fraser
06-03-10, 21:45
Thanks for that Merry. Our ancestors had no consideration at all. Where did you find the marriage details? It looks as though it must have been a flying visit to America. Do you think there was much farming in Chelsea?

Mary from Italy
06-03-10, 21:45
Married by licence 31/8/1869 at St. Lukes, Chelsea
John Adolphus Claudius Cline Burch, 23, bachelor, farmer, res. St. Lukes, Chelsea, father John Burch (deceased), farmer
Anna Maria Vale, 23, spinster, res. Greinton, Somerset, father James Vale, farmer
Witnesses: John Bacon and Hephzibah Macarthy

Merry
06-03-10, 21:49
I expect they were only in Chelsea to get married! (fashionable wedding?!)

The marriage cert is on the LMA records on Ancestry.

anne fraser
06-03-10, 21:55
Personally I think he had a name above his station in life.

ElizabethHerts
07-03-10, 08:04
Personally I think he had a name above his station in life.

Anne, my Mum always used to splutter with merriment when she saw that several of our ancestors grandly described themselves as "Gentleman" when offspring got married, etc! How a coffee house keeper thought he was a gentleman is rather perplexing! Also, OH's lot seemed to think that Licensed Victuallers were "Gentelmen"!

anne fraser
07-03-10, 10:02
My challenge this week is William Harvey who married Jane Burch who was aunt to John Adolphus. The family rumour is that they were in some way related to the Harvey sherry family. I have never proved a link but they did seem to have jobs which involved quite a bit of hard liquor.

Mary from Italy
07-03-10, 14:09
I have the delighfully named Merville Gibbs (female), whose (not at all posh) parents lived at a house called Ville de Mer (in Australia). No idea which name came first :)

maggie_4_7
07-03-10, 15:49
I expect they were only in Chelsea to get married! (fashionable wedding?!)

Caxton Hall became fashionable that early on did it! :d

As for 'Gentleman' on marriage certs I have one relative who put her father's name and Gentleman as occupation which was so far from the truth than it ever could be, he was a tailor and had been dead since she was 7 years old poor soul and she was a barmaid and had two half sisters (two different fathers) who were illegitimate and one full brother but she was marrying a Notary whose father had a lot of money so I suppose she had to big it up a bit :d ...

... and then she promptly disappears after her husbands death 3 years after they married never to be seen again possibly with his money :d

Merry
07-03-10, 17:18
Caxton Hall became fashionable that early on did it! :d

Erm.....no!!!!! lol :d:d