PDA

View Full Version : Place of birth on census

maggie_4_7
06-03-10, 10:10
Can anyone tell me what they think Elizabeth Sayers place of birth is in Suffolk.

She's the thirteenth person down on the census.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=MDXRG9_241_245-0737&fn=Elizabeth&ln=Sayers&st=r&ssrc=&pid=5572506

Thank you in advance.

Margaret in Burton
06-03-10, 10:38
Any clues from the transcription?

maggie_4_7
06-03-10, 10:48
The transcription is:-

Licharthe, Suffolk, England

Elizabeth's maiden surname is Parker.

I have been looking on Google maps to see if I could spot a place called that and searched for it.

It might be Lowestoft (I found a birth that could be hers) but ... she married her husband Charles Sayer in Carbrooke, Norfolk in 1827 and he was a widow and his first wife was called Sophia Parker who he'd had 4 children with.

He then went on to have another 10 with Elizabeth the first five were born in Carbrooke and the last 5 in Shoreditch, London. But Charles and Elizabeth brought all of the first lot of children and theirs to London with them I did think Elizabeth and Sophia were related - maybe sisters or cousins but now think the name was a coincidence because on that latest census I found it says she was born in Suffolk the 1851 had Norfolk and the 1841 had Y for born in County!

I trawled the Carbrooke, Norfolk baptisms for her but nothing I found Sophia's baptism and burial and I found both Charles' marriage to Sophia and Elizabeth and all the children's baptisms.

... and breathe :)

kiterunner
06-03-10, 10:49
It looks like Licharth to me but there is no such place!

Jackie H
06-03-10, 11:41
There's a place called Litcham in Norfolk that's not a million miles from Carbrooke

maggie_4_7
06-03-10, 12:14
There's a place called Litcham in Norfolk that's not a million miles from Carbrooke

I thought of that but she does say Suffolk on the 1861 but then thats not set in stone the last census it was Norfolk and the one before Y for born in county which was Shoreditch, Middlesex but I suppose it depends what the question was really to get the right answer.

I have thought about this a lot because there is a lot of discrepancies on where born and the actual place of birth on cenus I have foind.

i.e. "where are you from?" not "where were you born?" or "where did you live before?"

Sorry I need to get out more :)