PDA

View Full Version : Telegram

Trish@Somerset
03-09-09, 10:01
I have a Telegram, as shown, what do the initials K Z D stand for please?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n101/alanlflower/Telegram20028.jpg

Mary from Italy
03-09-09, 10:13
No idea, but as it was sent in 1941, perhaps it was the initials of a military establishment he was posted to? I don't think members of the armed forces were always allowed to say where they were.

LindyTumblethump
03-09-09, 10:13
Trish it is beautiful xxhugxx

Mary from Italy
03-09-09, 10:15
Or maybe they'd invented a private code on the lines of N.O.R.W.I.C.H. ...

Trish@Somerset
03-09-09, 10:15
Thanks Mary, he was certainly out of the country that year

Lindy, it is beautiful isn't it, we still have the envelope too, a gorgeous gold colour

Mary, just saw your 2nd post LOL, you never know!

Mary from Italy
03-09-09, 10:27
Do you know which country he was in? Was he a PoW?

Trish@Somerset
03-09-09, 10:35
Blowed if I know the full story Mary:o, he was never a PoW but he served in India, Africa and Italy and somewhere else - I'm just not certain of the years

MargaretMarch
03-09-09, 11:00
I just googled K.Z.D and it comes up with lots of Polish references. Nothing particualr for those initials though.
Margaret

Trish@Somerset
03-09-09, 11:06
Thanks Maggie:), that's all that I found too - along with some sites I didn't think I'd better open:d

MargaretMarch
03-09-09, 14:04
Thanks Maggie:), that's all that I found too - along with some sites I didn't think I'd better open:d

Same here! :d
Margaret

LindyTumblethump
03-09-09, 16:01
Could it be an S rather than a Z xxhugxx

Trish@Somerset
03-09-09, 16:12
Anything is possible I suppose Lindy, will have a search using an 'S' instead:)

Trish@Somerset
04-09-09, 11:23
Have now tried the Postal Museum (no luck there, they're as stumped as us - very quick response though :)). He's sending it on to BT Archives to see if they know what the initials mean.
I can't see them standing for anything personal because, without sounding rotten, these people were not the most imaginative of souls

Trish@Somerset
10-09-09, 15:26
Here's the answer I have just received from BT Archives, many thanks to them:)

This is most likely the three character code to denote the telegraph station that handled the telegram. It is a bit frustrating that I can't tell you which town it represents, as in all the code books we have, in the BT Archives, have it as an unallocated code. The last code book we have catalogued is for 1909 so I imagine that the code was issued sometime between then and when the telegram was sent. However, in all cases the first letter of the code was the same as the initial letter of the town's name.

LindyTumblethump
12-09-09, 11:58
Oh wonder if it is Kessingland xxhugxx

Uncle John
12-09-09, 19:27
Oh wonder if it is Kessingland xxhugxx

Very unlikely. I don't recollect Kessingland being a major telegraph hub.

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 12:00
Oh dear, I've never heard of Kessingland:o

MargaretMarch
14-09-09, 12:24
Oh dear, I've never heard of Kessingland:o

Near Lowestoft in Suffolk I think
Margaret

MargaretMarch
14-09-09, 12:32
Just had a thought - if you get the WW11 record for the sender you might see where he was posted when he sent it. The record does however cost £30 from the MOD.
Margaret

Merry
14-09-09, 17:00
Just had a thought - if you get the WW11 record for the sender you might see where he was posted when he sent it. The record does however cost £30 from the MOD.
Margaret

And you have to be his next of kin as well!

Trish@Somerset
14-09-09, 18:08
Many thanks, it's OH's father - should have done the army records while he was still alive but was one of those things we never got around to:(

Margaret in Burton
14-09-09, 19:39
Many thanks, it's OH's father - should have done the army records while he was still alive but was one of those things we never got around to:(

That might have got you nowhere anyway Trish.

We suggested to father in law a few months ago that we send for his records as it would be free to him.

His reaction?

What for? I know what I did and where I went!

Me thinks maybe he got up to something he doesn't want us to know about.

;);)

kiterunner
14-09-09, 22:32
Maybe he doesn't want to have to remember all the details of what may have been a traumatic time for him, Margaret?

Margaret in Burton
15-09-09, 17:56
Maybe he doesn't want to have to remember all the details of what may have been a traumatic time for him, Margaret?

I don't think so Kate, he enjoyed his war. He was called up at 19 and was in for 6 years. He was never injured either because I asked him about that.

I think he might have been a bit naughty. ;);)

Stella
15-09-09, 20:32
Near Lowestoft in Suffolk I think
Margaret

Only about 2 miles from where I live.:)

Kit
16-09-09, 06:10
That might have got you nowhere anyway Trish.

We suggested to father in law a few months ago that we send for his records as it would be free to him.

His reaction?

What for? I know what I did and where I went!

Me thinks maybe he got up to something he doesn't want us to know about.

;);)

My Grandad is the same. I've asked several times, said he could keep them until he died but it would save me heaps on money. He still refuses and I think, for the same reasons as you stated.

You can't get them when they are alive can you? My Dad is his NOK.

Merry
16-09-09, 07:11
You can't get them when they are alive can you?

No, because you have to send a copy of their death cert along with the application and next of kin form!